Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRL: The sound the black smoke makes...

• 20-04-2006 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

I don't know if any of you have noticed this. Surely you have but ill mention it anyway.

The sound the black smoke makes when it passes by can be heard on a few occasions in the series. I can recall it happening in the pilot when all the trees start shaking the first night on the island. The morning after when Jack is organising a group to go to find the head of the plane, you can hear Rose in the background talking about the sound. She says it sounds familar to her and someone asks where shes from. She says Brooklyn.

In Lockes first episode, Walkabout where he presumably comes face to face with it for the first time, in one of the flashback scenes, hes talking on the phone to his friend organising a game at his lunch break. His boss comes over and starts giving him grief. When he walks away Locke starts working again keying in figures on a little accounting machine on his desk. The sound this machine makes is just like the sound you hear when the black smoke passes by.

If im right, then what this means i don't know. It might also explain why the sound was familiar to Rose. Id bet she was an accountant or banker of some sort before the island.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Oh Nooes the the dreaded adding machine of death!

Seriously that means it sounds like it sounds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

tba wrote:
    Oh Nooes the the dreaded adding machine of death!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Listen to the the "monster" here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Silage

That's very interesting..hmm. Luckily i have season 1 to look up on this. I'll check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

It is most defenitely a representaion of all their fears and angers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

I thought it sounded alot more mechanical in the first series then the second. Especially in Exodus when it grabbed Locke and he was looking right up at it before it tried to drag him into the ground.

Just to make sure ye know what im on about, the sound im talking about is the sound it makes when its moving around, not when its ripping up trees or dragging off people.

I may be wrong but they are very similar.

Chumpski wrote:
    In Lockes first episode, Walkabout where he presumably comes face to face with it for the first time, in one of the flashback scenes, hes talking on the phone to his friend organising a game at his lunch break. His boss comes over and starts giving him grief. When he walks away Locke starts working again keying in figures on a little accounting machine on his desk. The sound this machine makes is just like the sound you hear when the black smoke passes by.

I just watched that part of walkabout you are on about. It's true the sound that machine makes is exactly what the smoke sounds like, especially when it fades off at the end of that scene with locke on the accounting device.

I also don't know what this means and i'm not sure it will ever be explained to us. The only reason i can think of is that the smoke is composed of all the things that each of the characters encounter throughout their past, like the characters collective mindset. But i really don't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Hmm. I think it has to do with their fears too. There were images in the black smoke when the camera zoomed around. Jesus, it must be bad if Locke's scared by it!

Rose and Bernard will surely have a flashback episode soon. Ill bet that one of them owns one of those machines and itll be clearly shown and heard during the flashback.

• Advertisement

Chumpski wrote:
    Rose and Bernard will surely have a flashback episode soon. Ill bet that one of them owns one of those machines and itll be clearly shown and heard during the flashback.
    Hardly. Just cause she vaguel recognised the sound doesn't mean she knows what it is.

Don't forget..this is Lost. Anything that is vague in this show is a lot more important than you think.

Chumpski wrote:

I seriously doubt they'll have a backstory...

Yeah. She's not really a main character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

On the subject of the Locke dragging and tree smashing, in the first series when the black smoke was first seen, I assumed there was also a mechanical part that it was controlling.

Crucifix wrote:
    On the subject of the Locke dragging and tree smashing, in the first series when the black smoke was first seen, I assumed there was also a mechanical part that it was controlling.

Take a look...
    lostmonstera1plumedk9nw.jpg

NUTZZ wrote:
    I seriously doubt they'll have a backstory...

I retract that statement, the Island has many secrects...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Jack looks funny in that screenshot.
    Sorry but I just had to say it:rolleyes:

Looks like a rope in the middle of the black smoke. Interesting...

Looks like a rope in the middle of the black smoke. Interesting...

Yeah its a nice shot...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Haven'taClue, your sig is massive. Can you make it smaller please?

Sorry, is it ok now?

Sorry, is it ok now?

It looks fine, thanks for the shout out in it!!

Yup, it's cool now :)

NUTZZ wrote:
    It looks fine, thanks for the shout out in it!!
    Well we are planning a revolution. Are you a member of the DOL on it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

NUTZZ wrote:
    Listen to the the "monster" here

Sounds like an american muscle car and a fax/paper/printer thing. Distorted, of course.

Yeah, or a receipt printer, like the old ones they have in Penneys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

That's the one.

Advertisement