Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did Ray say?

• 20-04-2006 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

What did Ray Darcy say about Derek Mooney on the radio today?

Just saw a headline in today's Herald about him apologising for some gaffe. Anyone know what it was?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭sudzs

I didnt hear the show but gather it was Des Bishop who made some jokes about an RTE presenter... didn't know it was that stocking Derek Mooney though!

Someone tell us what he said!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

des bishop was on ray darcy's show the other day, and he has a new programme coming out in a few months...ray was trying to get an exclusive out of him, but des wouldnt say anything, then he made a joke about being gay...and as an after thought he said i'm presenting a show with derek mooney..they all started laughing and he started saying, oh i'm not saying derek is gay, but they just said yeah right, u just outted him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Bishop's comments about his sexuality indirectly "outed" Derek Mooney. Once Ray realised, he cut to ads.

Mooney has always kept his private life out of the public gaze, so what happened wasn't fair on him.

Didn't hear Ray today.

I'd kinda guessed it was the gay thing allright!!!

And I wouldnt consider that as being "outed" DMC... who hasn't guessed Derek Mooney was gay a long time ago? Except maybe himself!!!!

Dont really see the "unfairness" in it. If you're in the public eye then you're in the public eye... ya know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

It has been one of the best kept secrets in the media about Mooney. But, he asked for privacy, and he got it. I'm all for people having a private life, just being on TV doesnt mean they have to be celebrities. Big Brother taught us that one.

Its upto him if he wants to publically come out of the closet, and not for a comedian to allude to it on national radio. Prehaps Mooney has family that he didn't tell, or couldn't bring himself to tell. There are some families out there that don't accept their son/daughter/relative as being gay. Even today.

A lot of celebrities can control their public image, for sure. But this is pure personal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

DMC wrote:
    It has been one of the best kept secrets in the media about Mooney. But, he asked for privacy, and he got it. I'm all for people having a private life, just being on TV doesnt mean they have to be celebrities. Big Brother taught us that one.

Its upto him if he wants to publically come out of the closet, and not for a comedian to allude to it on national radio. Prehaps Mooney has family that he didn't tell, or couldn't bring himself to tell. There are some families out there that don't accept their son/daughter/relative as being gay. Even today.

A lot of celebrities can control their public image, for sure. But this is pure personal.

it was a joke....

i'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What a drama queen.

Well he does ues ABBAs Dancing Queen in the Mooney Goes Wild show!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Derek Mooney is GAY! WOW! I'm shocked -
    Here's another Exclusive so is DAle Winton and Julian Clery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

sudzs wrote:
    Well he does ues ABBAs Dancing Queen in the Mooney Goes Wild show!!! :D

"D'ya wanna know morrrrrrre?"

Er no, Derek, I don't *click*

Maybe they'll have to now change the name of the show to "Mooney Goes Slightly Ferrell".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

The dogs on the street knew he was gay FFS !!!!!

Think the ad for the Lotto with himself (and his twin) supposedly fancing the blonde shop assisant (and her twin) is hilarious. He must have said "Quick lads make an ad with me and a girl, that'll quash those gay rumours !"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Like... who's too worried about Mooney anyway????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

BolBill wrote:
    The dogs on the street knew he was gay FFS !!!!!

I didn't, but I don't pay much heed to those things really.

Well I'll be tuning in tomorrow morning to see if he responds with one of his bitchy comments! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

sudzs wrote:
    I'd kinda guessed it was the gay thing allright!!!

And I wouldnt consider that as being "outed" DMC... who hasn't guessed Derek Mooney was gay a long time ago? Except maybe himself!!!!

Dont really see the "unfairness" in it. If you're in the public eye then you're in the public eye... ya know.

That applies if you are pretending to be something u aren't. If Mooney wants to come out or keep his sexuality private that's his own business, not for a second rate 'comedian' like Bishop. Didn't he attack a disabled individual two weeks ago for apparently heckling him?

mickd wrote:
    That applies if you are pretending to be something u aren't. If Mooney wants to come out or keep his sexuality private that's his own business, not for a second rate 'comedian' like Bishop. Didn't he attack a disabled individual two weeks ago for apparently heckling him?

Did he physically attack this person??? :confused:

Anyway, Derek Mooney has his finger in so many RTE pies he is making a fortune. He's in the public eye more than most and what does it say to young gay people who are grappling with "coming out" or not when they see this obviously (when you look!) gay man all over RTE, firmly in the closet and when someone makes a quip about it there has to be an apology. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

What has making a fortune got to do with ones sexuality?'
    I don't ever recall Mooney deny the fact he is gay, or taken a standpoint that was determental to gay people if he has well then you have a point. Otherwise its a case of people applying their own standards to everybody else. Mooney is not resposible for young gay people who are grappling with coming out. True he is in the public eye but even people in the public eye of entitled to reserve a piece of themseles for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Totally unfair on the man, if he wants to keep something private then that should be allowed. Same with marriage break-ups, it's hard enough trying to come to terms with some things in life without some b*stard telling the whole world about it and making sure that everyone knows all about it.

Just because you host some high-profile TV and radio shows does not mean every aspect of your life is fair game!

Advertisement