Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test

Options
  • 20-04-2006 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hello everyone,

Im doing the driving test next week, and nervous about it. I have to pass it first time for work and employment reasons.
    Do any of ye have any tips or Does and Dont to pass this test.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭takethebiscuit

you're allowed knock down two pedestrians, but not three

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

If you are a:

Woman - wear a short skirt
    Man - wear a short skirt

Thats not sexist at all now is it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'm assuming you're able to drive properly. :D

You need to keep a clear head; don't allow your nerves to fluster you. Remember whatever happens on the test that YOU are in charge of your vehicle. The tester wants to see this. You are allowed some minor mistakes, just don't do anything major that affects anybody's safety. Don't be hesitant, and, surprisingly, don't drive too slowly!

Good luck, and report back when you've passed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Yeah as Slow Coach said don't drive like a slow coach (sorry couldn't resist), otherwise you're going to start picking up marks for progression. Pick up a good pace (~33mph in 4th Gear on the straight's and don't be afraid to overtake something doing about 15mph like a tractor, motorcyclist), good reaction, observation, giving way to padestrians and other traffic. Be careful for hazards like cyclists and roadworks, they're always easy to get grade 2 marks on.

Best of luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Try not to get too hung up about the manouvres (hill start, turnabout, reverse round corner) as most people don't actually fail because they couldn't do them. It's much more likely to fail on observation (possibly during a manouvre however!), inadequate progress etc.

Make sure the guy sees you move your head a bit when you check your mirrors and ALWAYS look over your shoulderS when checking your blindspot (any time you move off from the kerb or change lane you MUST look backover your shoulder).

Make sure you quickly glance to the right as you reverse the car around the corner just as the nose begins to 'stick out'. Don't gawk, just a fast glance-you should be looking BEHIND you as you reverse the car as that's where it's going! He'll want to see you look BEHIND for those kiddies etc.!

Road Position is another one people oten fail on. Don't weave, keep it in the middle of your lane of just left of middle if possible. Keep a couple of feet between your car and parked vehicles to allow for someone opening their door in front of you!

If you're passing a parked lorry (loading for example) just havea peek into the left as you pass the front of it-shows you're looking out for vulnerable road users and that.

The test isn't as hard as it sounds. If you are confdent and show it then that's half the battle. Best of luck with it and I know you need it for wor but failing a drving test isn't the worst thing in the world! Plenty of people have a lot more to worry about so keep it in context.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Ask someone you know that passed who they got lessons off in your area and get yourself a couple. They'll tell you everything you need to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

I have my theory test tomorrow!!! boooourns.

don't listen to a word anyone said here, Milk Lover, just have a few whiskies beforehand and you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Get to know the routes. Your tester will expect you to see the road markings even if they're not there anymore.

...and don't wave at any of your friends, like wot I did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Simple thing to do on the day:

Show up a little early and REVERSE into a handy parking space at the test centre. This means that you have to do as little as possible to get the test underway at a time that you are under most pressure.

When returning to the test centre, park FRONT in into a parking space, to avoid making a mistake reversing into one. At this point in the test, the examiner has already made up their mind whether or not you have passed and there is no benifet to be gained from attempting to "show off".

Keep Calm while driving and show confidence.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I always said i would pass my driving test first time and i did. I got a couple for pre-test's before which i would recommend. I thought they were a waste of time, but actually made me even more confident.

There are 3 things you should remember and you will pass

1) Gear control in the car is actually important, so make your you dont leave in third all the time especailly if your coming up to a stretch of raod with ramps etc.

2) Dont drive like a sunday driver, always keep the car going a good but safe speed, not to slow.

3) The use of mirrors and using them correctly is important. If your turning right look in the centre mirror then your outside mirror and glance over your shoulder....same for a blind left turn

best of luck

PS: it also depends, you get a F**k of Tester..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Slight aside if I may...

If one is on a first provisional and has an upcoming test, what's the position of driving to the centre on your own? (assuming you don't have any family/friends to accompany you?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Slight aside if I may...

If one is on a first provisional and has an upcoming test, what's the position of driving to the centre on your own? (assuming you don't have any family/friends to accompany you?)
    They don't give a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Slight aside if I may...

a driver holding a provisional licence in the category B is required to carry a passenger holding a full licence in the category B when driving in a public place, this rule is enforced by the gardai.

a driver tester is not a member of the gardai, further their field of vision from within the test centre is likely limited to the curtilage of the centre, it could be argued that the curtilage of the centre is not a public place within the meaning of the act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Milk Lover

Are they likely to ask theory questions on the day?
    My cars windscreen is cracked and the tax expired; will they let me use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Milk Lover wrote:

They ask theory questions,

The car must be road worthy, if it's not (tax/insurance out of date, balding tyres etc) they won't do the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Milk Lover

What queations do they ask? Examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Milk Lover wrote:

If the car is not taxed he will not let you do the test.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Milk Lover wrote:
    What queations do they ask? Examples?

With the greatest of respect, your windscreen's cracked, your tax is out and you don't appear to have done any research into what's involved in the driving test. My advice is to start preparing for your next test now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement