Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice please - Crewcab 4x4

Options
  • 20-04-2006 4:47pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,

I dont know a lot about 4x4's as Ive only driven 2 in my life and these were passenger versions, a 5 and a 7 seater.

So I need advice from you peeps on this.

I'm looking to change my car soon and thinkin along the lines of buying one of the 4/5 seater crew cabs with a canopy on the back. The reason being is that I'm going to need a vehicle that will allow me to carry a fair amount of gear for a new hobby I'm thinking of getting into. Its not the type of stuff you can throw into an estate car or hatchback boot unless you want to end up in an awful mess and to top it all off I dont think it would fit unless I dropped the back seats, so if I planned to do this I may aswell just buy a lwb commercial 4 x 4

I was going to buy a diesel car with a towbar but then I'd have to buy a box trailer and and kit it out etc etc etc and seems like a hell of a lot of work when I can just buy one of these types of vehicles which seats 4 - 5 people and can carry a decent load for around the same money.

I was looking at types like the Mitsubishi L200, Toyota HiLux, Isuzu Crewcab/DMax and Land Rover Defender with the canopy.

From the research I've done, there seem to be a lot out there no more than 4or 5 year old, with under 50k miles on them and for in or around the €20k mark with some nice extras on them too.

So what I need to know is:

- Does anyone have experience of these?
    - Whats of running / service costs can I expect?
    - How do insurance companies treat you when you say you went them for private use?
    - Fuel economy?
    - Costs of replacing tyres?
    - How do they last when they clock up the miles?

Any help appreciated guys as this really is new territory for me.

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One basic rule applies to all of them ...they drive like sh*t when there is no weight on the rear axle and when the road is wet on top of that they are downright dangerous.

Take one for a test drive first ...see what you think ...

I was thinking along the same lines as you way back when there was no VRT on those ...one test drive on a rainy day in a L200 cured me very quickly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have experience of the L200, if you're used to a normal car you will be shocked at how bad the ride and handling on these things is. They have many other bad points too. I'd say similar things could be said for the other make crew cabs. so no, I wouldn't recommend any of them unless you actually need 4 wheel drive for offroad ability etc. Well do you?

Assuming you don't need 4wd, I'd reconsider the normal car + trailer idea. It could work out far cheaper and handier than getting a crew cab. It really depends on the size, shape and esp. weight of the stuff you want to carry. Many normal cars (even petrol) will pull a light trailer easily. By light I mean something around 500-750 kg including cargo.

Are you thinking of getting the crew cab as your sole vehicle or as a 2nd one?

Another option if you plan on running two vehicles could be to get some sort of "beater" van/car. Anything fom an old MPV to Ford Courier van, Renault Kangoo or Kangoo kar, Berlingo, a big old estate etc. Something that you don't give a sh1t about and are not afraid to wreck and get filthy inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

They are desperate hard to sell on second hand. Most companies that have them buy them new, keep them 3yrs whatever and replace. theres not a great deal of private people buying them and most smalish farmers and builders that do buy them tend to buy new.

My uncles friends have the Isuze Dmax and that lads brother had the Mitsubishi version and found it extremely hard to sell. he ended up giving it away.

A lwb commercial jeep is probably your best bet. My uncle has the swb commercial Landcruiser and they are class, the new 6spd model is very handy on fuel with the 6th gear really dropping the revs and you`d sell it no bother if your hobby got boring. :)

The crewcabs are widely reknowned for being crap. Handling and comfort is bad and theres not all that much room in the back seats, and tall-ish people would be cramped on long journeys in some of them. You`d seriously wanna test drive whatever models your looking at cause if if you get it wrong you might be stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Another thing to take note with these crew cab 4x4s is that they are usually based on vans including chassis rather than real 4x4 vehicles. So their off road ability is usually not great either and nowhere near as good as a genuine off road vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

bazz26 wrote:
    Another thing to take note with these crew cab 4x4s is that they are usually based on vans including chassis rather than real 4x4 vehicles. So their off road ability is usually not great either and nowhere near as good as a genuine off road vehicle.

Not to mention an absolutely horrible place to be for passengers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

peasant wrote:
    One basic rule applies to all of them ...they drive like sh*t when there is no weight on the rear axle and when the road is wet on top of that they are downright dangerous.

Take one for a test drive first ...see what you think ...

I was thinking along the same lines as you way back when there was no VRT on those ...one test drive on a rainy day in a L200 cured me very quickly :D

So you where going from a mini to a L200? no wonder you couldnt drive it.

Have drove a 02 L200 and found it a nice drive, a bit bouncy but nothing you would really notice, any weight in back will help with this but as mentioned you wouldnt notice. Only problem was room for people in the back was brutal, you would need to be tiny

Bro bought a 05 Izuzu D-MAx last year(because of leg room in L200 went for Izuzu), no problems wiht it been bouncy, no problems with rain etc. Its a nice drive and I wouldnt have a problem buying one if I had a requirement for one. Alot better leg room in back as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Take a look at the Nissan Navara - I mate of mine had 2 of them and swears by them. I've driven them both and they're OK but I'm not a 4x4 expert. He sold one of the but the other has 100k+ and hasn't been in the garage for anything other than regular maintenance. Mind you, they are a wee bit tight on passenger space in the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote:

based on vans? in what way?

A Hilux for example has a seperate chassis and body, a low ratio gearbox and is great off road

colm_mcm wrote:

A Hilux for example has a seperate chassis and body, a low ratio gearbox and is great off road
    There is a Japanese import called a HiLux which AFAIK is totally different to the HiLux on the Irish market. The Jap versions smaller than a LandCruiser.

I think you're thinking of the HIlux Surf,
    Toyota%20HiLux%20Surf%202.4%2005072004%20right%20front%20l.jpg

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    I think you're thinking of the HIlux Surf
    That's the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm not sure about the latest versions, but all these pickups (single or double cab) used to have ladder frames with a bolted on cab and load deck.

What makes them so poor to drive is the fact that they are built for heavy loads and have simple, rock hard leaf springs in the back. Unladen, the rear end hops and jumps no end and the rear wheels struggle for grip.

Using the four wheel drive in this situation doesn't help either as it's usually straight through (selectable 4WD) without a centre differential, so it just binds up on dry tarmac.

While this is fine off road (and better than a AWD with the differential) and should get you quite far without getting stuck, pickups in their factory setting aren't exactly "great" off - road, due mostly to the fairly big overhangs front and especially rear ...but then again ...who drives off road trials anyway ...

These things are designed for off road use first, and on road second. unfortunately they are being sold to private buyers who are oblivious to their tail-happy handling and poor refinement.

Fuel economy wise 30-36mpg is attainable.

colm_mcm wrote:
    These things are designed for off road use first, and on road second. unfortunately they are being sold to private buyers who are oblivious to their tail-happy handling and poor refinement.

Fuel economy wise 30-36mpg is attainable.
    The more comercial or 'purpose specific' a vehicle becomes the less refinement it offers. If you don't need to go off road the a permanent 4WD isn't of any use. It will cost more in fuel as colm_mcm stated. If it's load space you require then maybe a van (more refinement) would be better - with better fuel economy.

It's a no win. I wouldn't buy a Jeep wothout full time 4WD, but if I needed a 5 seater with loadspace, there aren't too many oprions.

colm_mcm, that's some sig!!! But it speaks the truth!!!

I had to whittle it down, my posts were massive.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I had to whittle it down, my posts were massive.
    PM me the full version - I wanna hang it up in the office:D :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Cheers for the replies guys.

To be honest, I've a bit of a dilemma. I cant afford to have 2 vehicles on the road with running costs, insurance, tax, maintenance etc. And I need something that gives me a decent carrying capacity but is comfortable.

4x4 wasnt a necessity but the seemed to give the best of both worlds. I need seating capacity for up to 4 people and decent load carrying capacity with something that I wouldnt have to worry about messing a bit, with the crewcabs you can just hose down and sweep out the backs of them.. :)

I do about 20k miles a year driving so something that gives me decent mileage, is comfy and not too expensive to maintain. But it sounds like the oul crewcabs might be a bit too unpredictable for me on the road and I'm coming from a car that stuck to the road like glue, so knowing me I'd have it in the ditch in the first week :D

Guess the car and box trailer option might be the best for the monent until I get some cash together to buy a small panel van. Suppose I could flog the trailer when I dont need it anymore

Tox

ronanvw.jpg

How about a Transporter crewcab. Very comfy for a van, six seats and carrying capacity.

Get some Caravelle bumpers (or get the transporters painted) rear lights and alloys, and you have car-like cred too!

260_190_caravelle_forinet.gif

Damn I'm good.

This guy has a new 6 seater and he really wants to sell it...

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=290113

• Advertisement

Oh yeah - thats the man for the job:cool: One problem loadsa € :eek:

There was me thinking of a Caddy:rolleyes:

you can get an 03 for €16,500 including VAT. not gonna gett much of a pickup for that. New ones are starting at around €31,000 with the VAT, again most crewcab 4X4's are that price so the suggestion is perfectly valid!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Cheers for the suggestions Colm McM but its not exactly what I was looking for. Dont really want a van as an everyday vehicle, a 4x4 or something like that would have been more like that.

Ahh I'll figure something out. :D

All 4x4's are compromised by load space and price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

mind if i ask what the hobby is? would help with the suggestions

How about a used Toyota Land Cruiser VX with a commercial conversion instead of the rearmost seats. still seats 5, is very comfy and has Kudos.

This 96 model costs €25,000 and has only 50,000 miles. a bit pricey, about €17,000 would be more like it

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=331164

Advertisement