Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.IE Domains - Why So Expensive?

Options
  • 20-04-2006 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Is anyone else tired of the cost of .IE domains? What's with the extortionate prices? Sure, at €50 or €60, it's no big deal for an established business, big or small. But what of an enthusiast keen on starting his/her own non-profit web projects? Or even independent entrepreneurs exploring start-up possibilities? .COM domains can be registered cheaply and easy for this purpose, but Irish-targeted projects could greatly benefit from a .IE. People were talking about .IE domains being the most expensive in Europe back in 2002! There's plenty more about the IE Domain Registry to criticise, but I don't really know enough about their inner workings to discuss them. For example, does the IEDR profit? Update: no.

Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

One of the reasons why .ie is perceivably more expensive at present is that the registration system is not as automated as .com. Hopefully the IEDR will automate it more in the coming months which would lead to another cost reduction for resellers, such as ourselves, which would hopefully translate into a cost saving for end users, such as yourself.

IE domains may not be as cheap as .com, however they are not the most expensive out there.

At least with .ie you are unlikely to find your company name squatted by some opportunist as has happened with the lower cost .eu :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

blacknight wrote:
    At least with .ie you are unlikely to find your company name squatted by some opportunist as has happened with the lower cost .eu :D
    Well IEDR does suffer from squatting - not on the same scale as .eu (.eu est: 40-80% squatted/speculative).

IEDR is still living in the last century. (I still think that the board of IEDR should be TWEPped.) The uptake of .eu by Irish registrants was quite interesting - around 13K in a single day. Perhaps the biggest difference is that .eu and .com are open to all. The .ie ccTLD is supposed to be a "managed" ccTLD where entitlement has to be shown first. Though in some cases that system has been gamed by squatters: police.ie nike.ie bebo.ie etc.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

jmcc wrote:
    Well IEDR does suffer from squatting - not on the same scale as .eu (.eu est: 40-80% squatted/speculative).

I never said IE was 100% squatter free, especially when you have some of the .eu domain squatters acting as official IEDR resellers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I like the .ie process. Having a human consider your application has resulted in me being able to get the domains I wanted. Having to prove you need and deserve the .ie domain has kept things reasonably fair. And once you understanding how the process works, the paperwork is reasonably straight forward.

I don't think .ie domains are too expensive considering there is a human element involved.

Also, < €50 is hardly a big business expense!

Advertisement