Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT failure - something strange

Options
  • 20-04-2006 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I'm a bit lost.
    I had my NCT this afternoon and failed.

I drive a 1998 Audi A3. This is the only item I failed on:

ITEM LOCATION DESCRIPTION REASON

Safety belts Middle Rear Bearing Member Missing

The inspector told me that it wasn't neccesarily that the bearing member was missing but that he couldn't find it. When I find it I can bring the car back and they'll pass it :confused:

I've pulled up the back seats and any covers in the boot and I can trace all the belts back to a point where they're screwed into the chassis.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Sounds like your inspector woke up with a bit of a headache this morning.

A similar thing happened to me. I never had three bods in the back seat all wearing the belts, so as a consequence my middle rear belt was tucked under the seat.

The NCT gave me a 'Fail Advisory' or something, the inspector drove the car around the back, asked me to pull up the middle belt and he'd pass me, I visually produced the belt and all was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Are all 3 rear belts fully functional - ie are all buckles & the centre strap visible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Sounds like your inspector woke up with a bit of a headache this morning.

Or the person bringing in the car was blind on the day their letter instructing them how the car needs to be prepared with all belts visible for the NCT arrived in their door :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Aodh

OK, for all those are assuming I'm an idiot:
    All three of my rear belts and respective buckles were fully visible and left untangled on the rear seat.

The NCT Report specifically refers to the BEARING MEMBER and how it is MISSING. The NCT Inspector looked confused and told me to find it and come back.

Can any one help?

Aodh wrote:
    OK, for all those are assuming I'm an idiot:
    All three of my rear belts and respective buckles were fully visible and left untangled on the rear seat.

The NCT Report specifically refers to the BEARING MEMBER and how it is MISSING. The NCT Inspector looked confused and told me to find it and come back.

Can any one help?

Did you ask him what it was, and what purpose it serves?

• Advertisement

He didn't exactly have good english, he shrugged his shoulders alot and said he couldn't find it.

I assume the bearing member is a big bit of metal that the seatbelts connect to and it bears the load of a person in a crash.
    I could be wrong though :rolleyes:

Aodh wrote:
    He didn't exactly have good english, he shrugged his shoulders alot and said he couldn't find it.

I assume the bearing member is a big bit of metal that the seatbelts connect to and it bears the load of a person in a crash.
    I could be wrong though :rolleyes:

I'd ask to speak to someone else in the testing centre who can explain to you what exactly this "bearing member" is, and where exactly it should be.

I'm going to ring an Audi Dealer in the morning and find out exactly what I'm supposed to be looking for before I go back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That's ridiculous, I assume this bearing member is some sort of strengthened panel/beam etc. that the seatbelts are mounted to. In other words it's part of the car and is not something that is going to be removed or missing

I'd go back to the NCT centre and speak to the manager (assuming he speaks good English :rolleyes:) Tell him that the seatbelt mountings are exactly as they came from the factory, just like thousands of other Audis on the road and to examine them for himself. Also inform him that it's not your job to "point out" the bearing member to anyone.

Rang an audi dealer today and he just laughed.
    He's right beside a test centre and gets no end of hassle from the inspectors.
    He fitted a brand new catalytic converter to a car which then promptly failed the NCT on emissions. After arguing with the inspectors they realised they hadn't reset the machine.

I'm looking forward to more confusion when I go back tomorrow:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement