Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car tax on used car?

Options
  • 20-04-2006 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Recently I just put a deposit on a car from a Peugeot dealer. However the car is out of tax since mid January (1/06). The question i have is: Am I liable for arrears or do I only pay since I became the owner according to the Vehicle Registration office??

(before anyone says i should have got him to tax it it - it was a good deal that i got!!)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

you are only liable for tax from the date of transfer of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

get a tax renewal form RF5 i think *(not sure) and get a Garda to declare it off the road from the 1st of january to 30th of April then you'll be liable from May1st until next april 30th.

Had to do it last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think you are liable for tax from the date of purchase and back to the start of the month in question so buy a car on the 1st not the 31st of the month!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mike65 wrote:
    I think you are liable for tax from the date of purchase and back to the start of the month in question so buy a car on the 1st not the 31st of the month!

Spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I bought my car the 10th of March but it was off the road till last week. The tax was up since 02-06 but i'm grand till 04/07. Gave in my Garda stamped from and paid my €151 off i went happy out

• Advertisement
Advertisement