Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres - Toyo Proxes - Any good?

Options
  • 20-04-2006 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I've decided its time to upgrade a bit from my Nankang cr4p tyres.

Been quoted 110 per tyre (fitted) for 205/40/17 for Toyo Proxe's

Are these tyres any good? Just general driving, about 400miles a week but mainly morotway
    Is this price any good? They are 110 on eiretyres.com so im guessing that the price ive been quoted isint bad since that includes fitting

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Toyo Proxes are known for being pretty grippy in the dry, perhaps a little too soft, they'll wear quickly. Apparently they can be a bit of a handful in the wet when you compare them to a Goodyear Eagle F1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I have Toyo Proxes T1-Rs on my MR2 roadster and find them to be very grippy in the dry and, as the other poster suggested, somewhat less grippy in the wet. That said, I've only experienced snap oversteer (which would be the danger in my car) once since I put them on the car and that was on an icy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

They wouldnt be any worse than those pound-city Nankang NS-1's though, would they? :confused:

JohnCleary wrote:
    They wouldnt be any worse than those pound-city Nankang NS-1's though, would they? :confused:

Nankang's don't have a good reputation on sports cars, particularly in the wet. The Toyos are considered the best value for money among the MR2 Mk3 crowd in these islands. YMMV, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Nankangs are lethal in the wet,i wouldnt like to drive a RWD car in rain fitted with them!

BUT they last for about 40'000 miles!

Ive only driven on toyos in the dry and found the handling excellent,but apparently as robbo said there ware rate is fast due to there soft compound

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

My 300zx tt had Toyo proxes on the rear, lasted less than 10,000 miles. The pther 300zx tt has Nankang Ns2 on them, and i agree with all of the above, lethal in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My rear (FWD) Nankangs have done about 45,000 miles (2 years) and still plenty of thread on them! I think go for the Toyo's, I reckon ill get the summer out of them, and then upgrade to Goodyears at the end of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I fitted Toyo Proxes T1-S's to my 99 206 GTi when I had it a few years back. I found them to be fantastic. Very grippy in the dry and to be honest I had no issue with them in the wet either. If I remember rightly, they dispersed water well and didn't give that tug you get going through standing water.

They are a soft compound tyre alright and are surprisingly quiet compared to the Pirelli P6000's I had on before them. I still got the bones of 20k out of them as far as I know.

I'd give them a shot. If you're a hard driver, you won't get so long out of them.

F1's are almost too dear to justify. I'd say give them a shot.

Nice thread design too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

JohnCleary wrote:
    I've decided its time to upgrade a bit from my Nankang cr4p tyres.

Been quoted 110 per tyre (fitted) for 205/40/17 for Toyo Proxe's

Are these tyres any good? Just general driving, about 400miles a week but mainly morotway
    Is this price any good? They are 110 on eiretyres.com so im guessing that the price ive been quoted isint bad since that includes fitting

Are you talking bout T1-Rs or T1-S Toyos and what size? Ive been quoted €140 each for 225/45/17 Toyo T1-Rs, fitting not included by an Oz Dealer in Belfast (MSWUK). Was part of a price for 17" Oz Superturismo WRC set.

Matt

The T1-S has been discontinued and has been replaced by the (improved, allegedly) T1-R. I'd think twice before buying T1-S's as they will be hard to replace and most cars that one would install these tyres on won't like it if you mix and match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement