Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick install. and reliable service

• 20-04-2006 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm moving from France to a new house in Stillorgan in 3 weeks, and will need Broadband straight away because my wife works as a freelance designer.

There is no phone line in the house (and I don't need it obviously, I understood it takes a lot of time to have it settled). I spent some time on the forum looking for the best option for me, but not sure i found it.

Here are the specs i'm looking for :

- Reliable service
    - Min 1.5 to 2Mb DL
    - Very quick install (I need to be sure to have it on the 10th of may)
    - max 50 eur/month
    - install fee : max 150 eur (reimbursed by my company)
    - Nice if P2P ports are not blocked

I would love to have the advice of the experets of this forum... May you be blessed if you have the right answer!!

thx,

Woaow.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not being funny but if you're moving here in 3 weeks and expect to have broadband ordered, installed and working a few days later then I'm afraid you're moving to the wrong country :(

You'll be lucky if broadband is even available where you're moving to.. but have a look at http://www.getbroadband.ie - should give you the options..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 woaow

Let me be more precise. I am in Dublin now, in a temporary accomodation. My wife and the furniture... are coming in 3 weeks time. So I can do appropriate things now.

I checked already, and BB seems to be available.

BTW, thx for the URL, this website is great ! (Although It says it's ok with ntl in stillorgan, but I called NTL already, and they say it would be available at my address in 4 to 5 months latest.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

lol never mind what ntl tell you,they have being telling me my road in d.14 would be connected for their cable broadband(even though i have their digital tv service)for the last 2 yrs,u could always give eircom a try too,but they seem to have got worse lately with leadtimes etc.ive used eircom since i-stream and got rid of them last february due to spousal pressure:-) but when i re ordered it 2 weeks ago apparently there are no more available ports in exchange so no dsl for me:-(.good luck with getting yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 woaow

Any other hints on who would be the best option ?? I would really need your advice quite quickly...

Thanks a million

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Doing devil's advocate here - allowing for your hurry etc it seems to me you have two choices - go dsl and go for Eircom - even allowing for the antipathy here towards them you rarely see a complaint about their actual bb service and your chances of getting a quick install seem best with them and they have a six months contract which would allow you to expore other options while having bb.

the second is to go wireless and metro is realisticallly the only option there if it is available to you - you pays your money etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If you move to a house without a phone line installed it'll take a while to get that in place and then another while to get the broadband after that.
    You need your Eircom account number in order to get your broadband, and Eircom won't give you the account number over the phone, you have to wait for your first bill/welcome letter. I'd give it 3 weeks from today minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The quickest will be Clearwire, but they do funny things with traffic shaping which may or may not affect you. They will typically have you up and running within two days, though.

If the place you're moving into has a deactivated phone line, it can be activated quickly and cheaply by Eircom. Otherwise you're probably talking at least a month to just get the phone line. If it's a deactived line you might be able to convince them to let you order broadband there and then and then it's about a two week wait. Companies like BT Ireland are a lot cheaper for ADSL but they will need your eircom a/c details which might be hard to get from eircom etc.

That getbroadband site is incorrect, as I've pointed out before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

ring eirom and check was there a phone line previously at the house

if there was they can switch it on today and assign a number to it , they can also give you a account number over the phone

Eircom are doing free connection until the end of the month if there was a phoneline in the house previously

once you have your acccount number call BT for a line check on broadband and do the switch

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

formatman wrote:
    ring eirom and check was there a phone line previously at the house

if there was they can switch it on today and assign a number to it , they can also give you a account number over the phone

Eircom are doing free connection until the end of the month if there was a phoneline in the house previously

once you have your acccount number call BT for a line check on broadband and do the switch

Do not under any circumstances consider any BT option without reading the many BT billing threads on Boards and on here http://askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=17811

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

their accounts dept might be a bit ****e, but for any overbilling i've been refunded, and other than that their service was perfect.

(nothing like recieving a bill 3months after i got rid of it for like 200quid, though they had a check to re-emburse me within a few days..)

• Advertisement
Advertisement