Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning Please Read!

Options
  • 20-04-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

For anyone interested in buying the Asus A8r32 Deluxe Motherboard.
    You guys may have seen a recent thread by myself lately, i couldnt get my setup working. I thought my psu was not powerful to run an x1900xtx and wd raptor 150g, so i bought a new Enermax Liberty 620w PSU. Heres the funny part, so now i find that i have spent the last 3 weeks pulling my hair out because Asus shipped this mobo an with amazingly crappy BIOS. Before you laugh at me: I read reviews of this board when it first came out that stated it was rock solid especially the bios. Turns out half the mobos shipped with bios v.3106 and the other half v.2102. The reviewers obviously got the 3106 and i was one of the poor gob****es who got the crappy bios. I never contemplated the bios being the problem and in no way could believe they could ship mobos with a bios that was incapable of running any 3d applications. Now im furious because i have spent nearly 200 quid for no reason and now i have 2 good power supplies:mad: Just thought i'd warn you all. By the way now the rig rocks big time since i flashed it:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

This has happened to a few of my mates with ASUS boards, I even had a crap BIOS with my DFI mobo, couldn't install windows with TCCD RAM untill i flashed to the latest BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Rule 7 of a new build.

Flash Bios to latest.
    DL latest Chipset Drivers.
    DL latest Graphics Drivers.
    DL Latest Soundcard Drivers.
    etc

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Rule 7 of a new build.

Flash Bios to latest.
    DL latest Chipset Drivers.
    DL latest Graphics Drivers.
    DL Latest Soundcard Drivers.
    etc

Inqui
    As a matter of interest can you post the other rules or is this just made up?
    I would be genuinely interested....

Back on topic....
    Something similiar happened to me before.
    I suppose lesson learned and good idea posting the warning to others.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I know someone who'd buy that PSU off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

yeh one of the first things you should do is update to latest bios

have you done this now? and did that fix your problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

Oh yeah, problem fixed alright:) Running lovely, but i did go through hell to get it working though. I also decided to keep the new PSU coz im lining up for x1900 crossfire soon tbh. So by now i should have quite a few parts for sale. The Thermaltake PSU is working fine also by the way and i was putting all the blame on that ffs. Silly Question but does the 620w Enermax Liberty consume more electricity than the 480w thermaltake or does it only consume the electricity required by the components??

not sure, but afaik it only consumes the power needed, not the full wattage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Silly Question but does the 620w Enermax Liberty consume more electricity than the 480w thermaltake or does it only consume the electricity required by the components??
    In a way, yes. *I think* I posted a link here before to a good article on www.SilentPcReview.com about power supplies. Might be worth having a read of it to see. They recommend against over specifying the power supply for your needs, due to power wastage.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The Liberty Is very effecient (80%) and It wont be overspecced for a crossfire setup;)

Glad to hear you got it sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Oh yeah, problem fixed alright:) Running lovely, but i did go through hell to get it working though. I also decided to keep the new PSU coz im lining up for x1900 crossfire soon tbh. So by now i should have quite a few parts for sale. The Thermaltake PSU is working fine also by the way and i was putting all the blame on that ffs. Silly Question but does the 620w Enermax Liberty consume more electricity than the 480w thermaltake or does it only consume the electricity required by the components??

I'd imagine that the Enermax is more efficient, and should consume less power. Try looking for an efficiency curve for each powersupply. (Don't even look at one from thermaltake though).

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

(Don't even look at one from thermaltake though).

Hehe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Was it your first time building a PC? updating the bios would be one of the first things todo regardless of any signs of trouble or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Indeed, if even for the chance of more bits to fiddle with.

SyxPak wrote:
    Indeed, if even for the chance of more bits to fiddle with.

oh YEH ^^

:D

Advertisement