Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it the Cable?

• 20-04-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hello all,

Long story short;

Got Eircom BB, the Utopia box etc etc.

Worked intermittently, i.e worked fine for days and then sync dropped.

Eircom techie called, said it was modem in house alarm, and fiddled with wires.

Worked for a day. Techie returned and fiddled - worked for a week.

Only one phone in house, taking off the hook, unplugging, changing filter all seemed to work!

House was wired with that cheap wire/telephone cable (same stuff has been used for alarm contacts) - it is this wire that connects my BB box to the main junction box on exterior wall.

A friend said replacing the cable between boxes with superior cable will work and sort dropped sync problems once and for all.

I will do this gladly (although it involves much crawling around in insulation (Yeuch!) but would like a second/third etc opinion first!

Any thoughts? Any particular type of cable? Please be gentle - I was reading some of the other posts and was blinded with science on several occasions! Layman stuff only!

Best regards, Rusty

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

That may solve your problem but it's unlikely to be the cause. Cat5 or 6 (Network) is the cable you're looking for. Also beware that the cabling from the Eircom master socket (inside the house) to the outside is Eircom property, afaik, so it's best not to mess with it. If it needs to be changed, let them do it or they may wash their hand of it all together.
    They generally don't use normal phone cable from the junction box into the house but if it's an old installation they might have.
    If you haven't already, plug the modem into the main Eircom socket without a filter and with everything else disconnected from the line. Don't forget the Sky digibox (if you have one).
    If you could borrow another modem to try it would rule that out.

Advertisement