Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fallout

• 21-04-2006 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Fallout is a two part drama/documentary on Sunday and Monday night on RTÉ ONE.

The ad for it looked good and heard a bit about it on the radio. It's about what could happen if the Sellafield Nuclear Power Plant was to explode. They show different scenarios in Dublin and show BBC News clips and RTÉ news reports.

Looks like a lot went into it. They contacted many researchers and doctors from around the world on what they thought might happen. Saying on the radio that it's very well made.

Sellafield even let the makers of it into the power plant for a tour even though this will be a negative programme for them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

interesting, will watch this

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Indeed it does look well made and that a lot of work went into it. I wonder if its a collaborative effort with the BBC?

However, I do think that the subject matter is simply scaremongering of the worst kind. It's playing on people's fears, giving an absolute worst case scenario situation. At a time when we need to hold an open, fair and honest debate about the possible future use of nuclear power in Ireland, it seems irresponsible to me. I know it's only a TV programme, but still, it's not going to help anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

At a time when we need to hold an open, fair and honest debate about the possible future use of nuclear power in Ireland, it seems irresponsible to me.

Not to get in to a political discussion here in Television but: -

If there is an accident in an electrical power plant run on any fuel (other then Nuclear Power) a few workers might be killed in the accident and it would certainly make headlines in Ireland.

If there is an accident in a Nuclear Power station a few workers might be killed but the future doesn't look bright for the rest of us either. And then theres the millions that we would have to spend cleaning up all of the Nuclear waste.
    I know it's only a TV programme, but still, it's not going to help anyone.

Not help who exactly?

I mean it's not like it will ever happen. Now will it.

Perpahs a movie about chernobl would have been a better Idea.

But at least it's something different from RTE Drama.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-2136410,00.html

Elmo wrote:
    If there is an accident in a Nuclear Power station a few workers might be killed but the future doesn't look bright for the rest of us either. And then theres the millions that we would have to spend cleaning up all of the Nuclear waste.

not to worry, we all have our iodine tablets :D

not to worry, we all have our iodine tablets

I taken mine already just in case. I also took the rest of my families tables just in case.

Panic set in at the time, I thought the iodine tablets would help. I have none left. What am I supposed to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Elmo wrote:
    I taken mine already just in case. I also took the rest of my families tables just in case.

Panic set in at the time, I thought the iodine tablets would help. I have none left. What am I supposed to do?

I've seen zombies drinking Lucozade before. Maybe that's a preventive cure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mossy Monk wrote:
    not to worry, we all have our iodine tablets :D
    Elmo wrote:

Eh...those iodine tablets - the expiry date is out on them.

Eh...those iodine tablets - the expiry date is out on them.

I know but not when I took them.

The whole "Marianne Finucane and Joe Jaboc Interview" had me very worried. :D

Anyone know where I can find that inteview? I have searched google and found nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

The ads for Fallout have been causing minor confusion for me. Twice in the past week i've been having idle chatter on the phone with someone and they've said 'omg, turn on the telly, there's a report on bbc about an accident at sellafield...no wait, hmm, it's some sort ad for a drama thing.'

The ads for Fallout have been causing minor confusion for me. Twice in the past week i've been having idle chatter on the phone with someone and they've said 'omg, turn on the telly, there's a report on bbc about an accident at sellafield...no wait, hmm, it's some sort ad for a drama thing.'

Yeah the Irish Times has an article today in the Magazine which suggests that for those who aren't expecting a drama they maybe confussed about the beginning of the programme as it starts of with BBC News 24, and it's is not for a few minutes later RTE news comes on with no RTE News people in it.

It might be a "War of the Worlds" (Orson Wells) type situation for those not in the know.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

Its probably your typical RTE drama , all you do is keep saying "thats yer man/wan out of (insert generic local drama )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

was just watching the battle of chernobyl on discovery... the 100,000s of thouasands of people who had to risk their lives to clean up and the no go area it created... grim.

Its probably your typical RTE drama , all you do is keep saying "thats yer man/wan out of (insert generic local drama )

No. According to the Producers they have only used unknowns to avoid such statements and to make it more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The real met Eireann weather man is in it, flemming i think his name is.

will make interesting viewing. The explosion and immediate effects are on tonight and tomorrow will be set a year in the future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Elmo wrote:
    No. According to the Producers they have only used unknowns to avoid such statements and to make it more realistic.
    Aww. I was looking forward to seeing Simon Delaney as a wise cracking nuclear scientist who likes a pint or two and Don Wycherley as the Taoiseach with a past he'd like to forget...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's started for those who are interested :) RTE1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

F..K this is actually slightly disturbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm scared :( It's really upsetting to watch, I think :( They've made it so real, it's disturbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

yeah im watching it now...

my poor granny rang my mother worried sick cos she didnt see the beginning of it so didnt reliase it wasnt real...

i bet this is gonna appear in my dreams tonight. hhmmm.

tinkerbell wrote:
    I'm scared :( It's really upsetting to watch, I think :( They've made it so real, it's disturbing
    come over i will mind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wow - its disturbing in an odd sense - Imagine if it happened for real - we'd all be fcuked!!

Seems like a good production - so far................

Any one know any nuclear bunkers that have a beer license??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

mmmm....future newscasters? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

They could have used the riot fottage from O'Connell St, people would have really thought it was real then!

Yeah it is kind of disturbing alright.
    Any one know any nuclear bunkers that have a beer license??

Any one know where the nuclear bunkers are.

Damn I need my Iodine Tablets now :D

The warning at the start of the programme. Please note that there is News Footage from the beginning.

blast.....oooooh bright light in the sky.....hello Jesus, how are you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial]
    THE political fallout from an RTE docudrama on Sellafield has already started with Environment Minister Dick Roche last night accusing RTE of wasting €1.25m of licence-payers money on a programme that would have "the pro-nuclear lobby laughing up their sleeves".
    The two-part mock documentary Fallout, to be broadcast tonight and tomorrow night on RTE One, shows the horror scenario of a radioactive plume descending on Ireland after an explosion at Sellafield.
    Experts clashed last week on whether or not such a catastrophe could happen and whether or not Ireland could cope if it did. Mr Roche acknowledged that "the dangers of Sellafield are very real", but said the implausibility of the scenario portrayed in tonight's drama plays into the hands of those who argue nuclear energy is a legitimate power source.
    He said: "It is a pity so many resources were invested in what is probably a very snappy drama when so much more could have been done with €1.25m. If they had put together a really serious piece of television they could have persuaded people that this is an issue that every citizen, on both sides of the Irish Sea, should be engaged in. The pro-nuclear lobby must be laughing up their sleeves at a scenario they can poke holes in. It's a pity this opportunity has been missed."
    Fallout shows a series of explosions and fires in waste tanks at Sellafield caused by kerosene having leaked through a sewer. The resultant toxic plume drifts across the Irish Sea on an easterly wind and causes scenes of chaos and hysteria as panicked Dubliners flee the radioactive cloud.
    Although Fallout director David Caffrey last week described the scenario in the drama as "scientifically absolutely possible", the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland (RPII) last night said it was "unrealistic and exaggerated".
    Ireland's prevailing winds are south-westerly and, in reality, kerosene is stored a long way from the waste tanks at Sellafield and no sewer connects them.
    RPII CEO Ann McGarry said: "The scenario in the programme could not happen. We have looked in great detail at the worst possible accident at Sellafield and even that was not nearly as bad as they portray. The programme is completely unrealistic and exaggerated in terms of the consequences in Ireland."
    The Minister was not shown the programme prior to broadcast and said he was "disappointed" that the programme-makers did not seek his department's assistance as part of their research.
    He said: "It is a pity we weren't more involved as we could have been really helpful in giving them material that would have made this programme absolutely world-class. The access to information we could have given them would have helped inform the Irish public and contributed to the debate across Europe. A nuclear explosion is extremely sinister and people don't understand it - which is why it is so important to keep the information factual and truthful."
    The Minister, who has pledged to "fight tooth and nail" to prevent a new nuclear site being built at Sellafield, defended Ireland's level of preparedness to cope with a nuclear disaster and dismissed criticisms from the programme's scientific adviser John Large as "nonsense".
    Mr Large, a consultant engineer, who worked for many years at the heart of the British nuclear industry and is now hired by governments and international agencies to give an independent view on nuclear issues, said Fallout showed, "a very accurate portrayal of what could happen".
    While acknowledging that no country can be fully prepared for a nuclear disaster of the scale portrayed in Fallout, Mr Large was highly critical of Ireland's emergency plan which he said was "not geared up to handle such a big incident" and was "primarily designed for small spills of radioactive material such as would fall off a hospital lorry". Pointing out that the Irish emergency services "would be overwhelmed very quickly" Mr Large said the National Emergency Plan for Nuclear Accidents "doesn't seem to have sufficient flexibility or power".
    Contrary to what it advises in the national emergency plan, Mr Large said: "Evacuation is obviously the best measure," adding government advice to stay indoors until the toxic plume passed was "simply an expedient measure to hold the population under some sort of control while countermeasures and proper plans can be put in place".
    Minister Roche defended Ireland's preparedness and said the National Emergency Plan for Nuclear Accidents is "robust" and "in line with best international practice".
    Mr Roche said: "With all due respect to Mr Large I would prefer to take my advice from international agencies and the RPII, rather than from an English scientist who appears to have a jaundiced view of what we do in Ireland. We have to make our plan for the real world, not for fiction."
    Meanwhile, Northern Secretary Peter Hain last week ruled out the possibility of a nuclear power station being built in Derry after businessman Robert Andrews proposed it. British Prime Minister Tony Blair is thought to favour the building of a new generation of nuclear power stations as the most effective way of cutting Britain's carbon dioxide emissions.
    [/FONT]

From Irish Independent
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I know its worst case scenerio but that is why Ireland needs a bigger army to be ready to deal with situations like that.

I don't see why its a waste of licence fee money. I think it has some value but also it is something different since when, Mr Roche, has Fair City been Public Service Broadcasting.

Not that the government wasted any money on Iodine Tablets.

Also I am noticing some of the regulars from Ros Na Run and Fair City:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    I don't see why its a waste of licence fee money. I think it has some value but also it is something different since when, Mr Roche, has Fair City been Public Service Broadcasting.

Not that the government wasted any money on Iodine Tablets.

Also I am noticing some of the regulars from Ros Na Run and Fair City:rolleyes:

Well its certainly not a waste when you see the sh1te that is celebrity jigs and reels on before it.

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    I know its worst case scenerio but that is why Ireland needs a bigger army to be ready to deal with situations like that.
    No army will prevent radioactive fallout, unfortunately.:(

I see the camera phones were put to good use :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

hello Sparky, nice to see you out of the 24 forum!
    *waves*
    if they did a documentary on nerve gas... or the virus from series 3..

Its over the worst bit now i think..
    there was about 15 minutes there where i was sitting a bit =/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

ROFL theres a guy taking off Paddy O gorman on it now . :D

Rockerette wrote:
    hello Sparky, nice to see you out of the 24 forum!
    *waves*
    if they did a documentary on nerve gas... or the virus from series 3..

Its over the worst bit now i think..
    there was about 15 minutes there where i was sitting a bit =/

LOL, Jack let me out.

• Advertisement

SpAcEd OuT wrote:

a bigger civil defense network would be fine we don't need the guns

a bigger civil defense network would be fine we don't need the guns

i think we do martial law doesnt work without them

good that was the most boring nuclear accident I've ever seen, I know its only half over but it seems panick killed more people then anything even if thats represents reall life it was very slow piece, it should have dealth more with what was happening in Wales too with them trying to put out the fire, I know it was supposed to be about Ireland no Wales but come on, less shots of someone milking their cows when we were promised a recreation of events moment by moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

we don't need the guns

They'd come in firece handy dealing with the looting! :)

As an interesting aside, the plan was even to arm the Civil Defence in the event of a nuclear attack way back in the Cold war times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This is it, panic would be the real crisis in the short term. Staying indoors, (a shower and a change of clothes if you were caught in the open) would cover the immediate danger from the fallout.

If the looting broke out, a curfew with shoot on sight orders would quell it nicely, I reckon.

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:
    This is it, panic would be the real crisis in the short term. Staying indoors, (a shower and a change of clothes if you were caught in the open) would cover the immediate danger from the fallout.

If the looting broke out, a curfew with shoot on sight orders would quell it nicely, I reckon.

yeah you go watch what happening in nepal right now and have a good ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

S and I watched it together and have discussed it since - I thought that it was a good programme that was well thought out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

good that was the most boring nuclear accident I've ever seen, I know its only half over but it seems panick killed more people then anything even if thats represents reall life it was very slow piece, it should have dealth more with what was happening in Wales too with them trying to put out the fire, I know it was supposed to be about Ireland no Wales but come on, less shots of someone milking their cows when we were promised a recreation of events moment by moment...

perhaps you didnt realise it when you posted, but the long term effects of the 'ploom' will be dealt with tomoro, with the short term fears being aired tonight. the ecological disaster would be a serious concern.

but i hated the way they changed from news report style to documentary style half way tru

CathyMoran wrote:
    S and I watched it together and have discussed it since - I thought that it was a good programme that was well thought out.

agree with you there good show looking forward to tomorrow night

watched it, didnt like it

will watch part 2 tomorrow but meh

I missed the very start of it what time in he drama did the explosion and reports happen, was it in the morning, so when people see the news reports at 930 at night its day in the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Did anyone happen to get a digital copy of this*? It sounds entertaining. Can't get RTE in the States.

*Disclaimer: I am simply curious about whether anyone decided that it was worth recording. I would never suggest that someone transmit RTE's valuable intellectual property without permission. That would be wrong and bad and wrong and bad..

civdef wrote:

ppl like you are why the garda reserve it such a bad idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

I thought that was a very poor show for such a hyped programme. I was expecting something along the lines of the classic post-nuclear drama "Threads", but with the bonus of it being set in Ireland.

I'm glad it was made, maybe it will start a bit of debate around the offices tomorrow... But I think it was a poor choice on the director's part to rely sooo much on phone-cam and 'security' 'footage'. Once or twice you could get away with (if it was done believably), but every few minutes? :rolleyes:

I dunno. Did anyone else think it a bit incongruous that 'Paddy O'Gorman' type footage was thrown in there? I don't think it fitted with the subject matter at all.

But the worst part was using the well known weatherman Gerry Fleming for the weather reports. For gawwds sake, the fate of hundreds of thousands of people were depending on the whim of weather-conditions, and the reports looked like he might finish with a wink and say "Divil-a-bit" at the end!

I really don't like knocking home produced drama, but this was a huge missed oppertunity to inform (and even entertain?) the public!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Duffman wrote:
    Did anyone happen to get a digital copy of this*? It sounds entertaining. Can't get RTE in the States.

*Disclaimer: I am simply curious about whether anyone decided that it was worth recording. I would never suggest that someone transmit RTE's valuable intellectual property without permission. That would be wrong and bad and wrong and bad..
    I will make one for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement