Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fallout

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

to reply to the RPII,
    1. we had winds of that kind last week
    2. a flask fell on site at sellafield last week
    3. some staff (1,500) did not get paid at Easter in the new yellow pack site!
    4. Thorpe leaked 6 months before they reported it, Thorpe is closed but still the new consignments arrive.

I agree with Dick Roche (cant believe I said that!)
    it was a good first half drama but debating some
    of points 1 to 4 above for 2 hours on telly is needed, boring
    TV, less eye balls, yes, perhaps a mix, reel them in with drama,
    then switch from podge/rodge to Q&A without telling the viewers!!!

BNFL board puts British Nuclear Group up for sale
    BNFL sells westinghouse to Toshiba for $5.4B "hello tosh, got a nuke plant!"

Sellafield has been privatised in the last 6 months. Yellow pack safety from share holders that do NOT live on the east coast of anywhere, is not in our best interest either, nor is public ownership alone a solution, shutting it down is. Spending on clean up is. Not making the old mistakes of the past is.

http://www.shutsellafield.com/

was the programme balanced? thats another question,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I thought it was good the way they moved into Documentry Mode at the end. The News stuff was good but their is so much of that that you can take.

The actors where very beleivable in their roles. I particularly liked the newly weds.

Paddy O'Gorman was a bit iffy alright.

The clean up in wales and a broader view of what the governments where doing to help people, was needed

I also like the portions which related to Chernoble.

I don't think the programme was supposed to be balanced lets face it if it ever did happen the news won't be balanced.

As for Dick Roche I don't he is right to say that this drama was a waste of money.

Unfortunately for the director he/she can look forward to movies like The Bodyguard (1992) and Volcano (1997). Oh NO.

Threads looks like a good show.

I thought it was very well produced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Skyuser wrote:
    I will make one for you.

Thanks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Unfortunately for the director he/she can look forward to movies like The Bodyguard (1992) and Volcano (1997). Oh NO.

Lets face it. Dick Roche is the waste of money, not Fallout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Doodlebug wrote:

But the worst part was using the well known weatherman Gerry Fleming for the weather reports. For gawwds sake, the fate of hundreds of thousands of people were depending on the whim of weather-conditions, and the reports looked like he might finish with a wink and say "Divil-a-bit" at the end!

LOL Gerry Fleming was pretty pathetic alright "divil-a-bit".However the weather conditions are extremely important in realtion to the spread of radiation but without a doubt Gerry Flemming is not the one to be telling us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Dick Roche wrote:
    THE political fallout from an RTE docudrama on Sellafield has already started with Environment Minister Dick Roche last night accusing RTE of wasting €1.25m of licence-payers money on a programme that would have "the pro-nuclear lobby laughing up their sleeves".

What does that even mean?

There was panic in my house when my uncle rang to tell my sister what had happened. It took a good ten minutes of shouting "It's a documentary" at her to get the message to sink in.

So nevermind about being prepared for nuclear fallout. My family aren't even prepared for documentaries about it.

There was panic in my house when my uncle rang to tell my sister what had happened. It took a good ten minutes of shouting "It's a documentary" at her to get the message to sink in.

So nevermind about being prepared for nuclear fallout. My family aren't even prepared for documentaries about it.

LOL. Ah! that's cool.

I think it would have been better to tell her it was a fictionalised Documentry or a Drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Missed it last night but it sounds like a good idea. They do these types of shows everywhere and they aren't the worst.

All it needs is Charlie Bird getting hit by a rock or complaining about not getting any sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 happenin

I didn't know about it untill i turned it on last night. It was at the part where the bbc reporter was saying there was an explosion at sellafield. I nearly **** myself. Frightened the bejeasus outta me. I must browse the web for it. Surely someone recorded it and uploaded it somewhere.
    I'll be tuning in again tonight to see the conclusion to it. Very real and very good. Surprising for RTE to compile something so good. I was, and still am, very impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Go spend all your SSIA's on bomb shelters!!
    BE afraid be very afraid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

surely they should of had Martin King doing the wheather bit, stopping halfway to wish bernie in Ballyfermot a smashing happy birthday and then deftly back to describing how the awful wind has us all fu*ked.....now thats what i call entertainment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I thought it was very good and well put together. Even if it is an unlikely event it's still a possibilty. Noone can gaurantee 100% that an accident like that will never happen. Arrogance is a dangerous thing. Well done RTE for bringing Sellafield back in the spotlight. For that matter, anyone know what the situation is over there. Are they shutting it down or are they planning to? Doesn't it take like 10 years to shut a nuclear plant down.

On a funny note, one of the girls at the house came back about 10 minutes into Fallout and didn't know it was on. Now it would have been funny if she freaked out but instead she quite calmly, as though nothing serious was happening asked did this happen today? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I can see the headlines now... dublin radioactive for 10,000 years in other news house prices in dublin continue to rise , crash due soon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I thought it was defintely not a waste of money - the point I think needs making is that it's irrelevant if the situation itself is inplausible, any sort of large incident in this country would lead to the same panic, the blocked up motorways, the blind panic, the looting, the difficulties that the authorities will have in setting things up and trying to keep order are not to be overlooked and anything that gets all of these debates going is a very good thing.......

I thought it was defintely not a waste of money - the point I think needs making is that it's irrelevant if the situation itself is inplausible, any sort of large incident in this country would lead to the same panic, the blocked up motorways, the blind panic, the looting, the difficulties that the authorities will have in setting things up and trying to keep order are not to be overlooked and anything that gets all of these debates going is a very good thing.......

Yes I always think Irrational fear is a good way to start a debate :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

How could it have been a waste of tv license payers money? Most of it was paid by commercials and the Opel sponsership. The minority of cash taken from license money provided 2 hours of entertainment and education.

Well worth it :cool:

How could it have been a waste of tv license payers money? Most of it was paid by commercials and the Opel sponsership. The minority of cash taken from license money provided 2 hours of entertainment and education.

Well then why aren't TV3 providing Edutainment?

Don't reply to this. I just needed to give TV3 a kick, its been a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I think it was done excellently. The bits with the children ringing into the radio station trying to find out if their parents were ok, nealry in tears was very convincing and it was really harrowing. Tonight should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

did anyones "cousins" record this by any chance? missed it & would love to see it, or is there any plans to show it again, looking forward to tonight's part, my cousins will be sending tonights one if anyone is interested???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

david mcwilliams, too add another touch of reality :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Missed the start of episode one and ended up watching it and ep.2 on my TV card - ****ty set-top antenna reception.

Hopefully it'll be on again at some stage, or come out on DVD. Or there'll be some 'cousin' DVD's around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

not as good tonight - they should concentrate more on nationwide effects not individuals stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

And it's all over.
    To be honest it was a bit boring, fallout part 2 a cure for insomnia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

First episode was a decent attempt, but Part Two was just appalling and they know it. The entire nation is falling apart and they devote most of the programme to the trials and tribulations of a smug D4 former-exec and a depressed Garda in London.
    What an embarrassment - bored to tears watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

RTÉ, Drama and good aren't words I'd usually use in the same sentence, but Fallout would warrant such an occasion methinks.

Unfortunately for the programme makers, News 24 changed their graphics recently, so that chopped at the authenticity just a bit. Of course, they couldn't have foreseen that happening so soon I imagine.

At school today, there was a load of people who were convinced ER was cancelled for a News Special and they hadn't a clue what was going on! I'd have loved to have seen the look on their faces.

And by the way, if you look at the picture (http://www.rte.ie/tv/fallout/) of the guy reading The Nationalst (with CHAOS! written across it) you can just about make out the actual front page where the page dips at the corner. You can see the barcode better in the RTÉ Guide, but it's not like it was too much hassle to make the thing a little more believable.

Just wanted to get that rant off my chest. Part 1 was better, I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

any sign of a digital version from your mans cousing hitting the net yet? i'd love to see pt1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

For the love of dancin leprechauns, that was the funniest, most ill-advised 'drama' I've seen in a long time (even worse than "Walk away and I stumble" on ITV last year).

Part 1 was an example of cheap n cheerful mockdocdisentertainment (its a word! :D ).
    Part 2 was just beyond belief - It would be an embarrasment if they manage to sell this tosh to UTV or BBC NI or in fact anyone that knows us!

I laughed the most at the sight of the lone farmer, checking a spud with a geiger-counter... I mean, come on.. they were takin the p*** surely! :rolleyes:

Runners up were the excrutiatingly poorly acted 'Therapist-Expert-Guy' who informed us that "Fawrmers have like toe-tally lost soo much right? and they would be feeling LOTS of different emoootions.. Anger, Bewilderfuddlement and some other emotions, yaw?

LO-bloody-L :D

Don't get me started on the D4 wroighters idea of what skangers would do in a posh mansion.. Write 'Elvis' on a door? Draw some cartoon genitalia (poorly) on some cheap prints they found? And then the 'interviewer' asks one of them ("Jayo" I think) if the lady in the ornately framed portrait he is holding, (in the middle of a ransacked house mind you) was his girlfriend???

It was entertaining in much the same way as watching your friend fall over drunk... Its wrong, something should be done, but the laughing hurts too much!

Maybe I'm alone in that opinion, but thats how I saw it!
    ...Oh, a laugh does a body good...[wipes eyes]....

I hope there's plenty of 'Fallout' for the guys n gals responsible for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Doodlebug - top marks. Spot on.

Unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

any way i could get a copy, i missed it really wanted to watch it or even a torrent or anything at all ?????? :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

padi89 wrote:
    Doodlebug wrote:

But the worst part was using the well known weatherman Gerry Fleming for the weather reports. For gawwds sake, the fate of hundreds of thousands of people were depending on the whim of weather-conditions, and the reports looked like he might finish with a wink and say "Divil-a-bit" at the end!

LOL Gerry Fleming was pretty pathetic alright "divil-a-bit".However the weather conditions are extremely important in realtion to the spread of radiation but without a doubt Gerry Flemming is not the one to be telling us!

I would disagree. Ger Flemming is one of the best if not the best meteorologists in the country. He would probably be the first one the media would call in an instance like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Rockerette wrote:
    david mcwilliams, too add another touch of reality :rolleyes:

thats something I though I would never hear....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it seemed to be me to be like a episode of one life or what that program they have on late on rte where the interview nuns or sick children parents'

it was so slow so vague I don't know how anybody could actually criticise the science behind the program because were so vague about what actually happened??, there was nothing to pick apart of it was 'non-descript nucelaer explosion', it was much much about the FALLOUT and in that sense it was realsitic I guess

the 'knacker' lads hanging in the rich buildings was funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

I guess the issue is that of the level of radiation. I have been reading a good bit about it over the last few days and it appears that the RPII has said that it is impossible for that amount of radiation to ever get over here no matter what happens in Sellafield.

They gave an example of Kiev. That city (which is bigger than Dublin) is only 80kms from Chernobyl and it was directly in the wind path. There is nothing wrong with the place now - normal lives are being lived there.

I think that the biggest problem is with the long term issues. Eg effect on farms, tourism etc. That is why the government is trying to shut the place down.

Don't know why RTE felt that they had to exxagerate everything to such a degree to make it all look unbelievable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

/Slightly off topic

Didn't see ethier episode so i can't rate it on believability stakes, but did anybody see the BBC's docu-drama a while ago called 'The day Britain stopped'? This was made in a way that could be believed with a combination of news reports, camera phones, security footage and individual stories. Often repeated on some of the satellite channels, check it out if you can.

(Or you can watch the full program online, but small screen here )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Part 2 was really disappointing. I was almost switching to LOST- and I hate lost!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Part 2 was more boring than 1... "the price of our house has gone down, we'll never sell it" -- AFTER A NUCLEAR EXPLOSION!!! Nothin else to worry about?

Wasn't impressed at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭MyStuffForSale

Doodlebug wrote:
    For the love of dancin leprechauns, that was the funniest, most ill-advised 'drama' I've seen in a long time (even worse than "Walk away and I stumble" on ITV last year).

I hope there's plenty of 'Fallout' for the guys n gals responsible for this!

Precious Doodlebug. I think your review sums it up precisely. They almost got a way with it in the first half, but just wasn't convinced that there was real panic, and then Gerry appears. Cringe. The production had that half the cast are amateurs look, whilst the overall sincerity was just painful to view.

The second part proved this. The couple whose son is killed due to the fathers bad driving. Pathetic Gardai drinking to forget. The newly married couple whose wedding day was destroyed by fallout. I couldn't relate to any of them. I mean to say everyone surely would have been evacuated way West and not allowed return to decontaminated areas. Couple with baby living in Greystones , give me a break. Chernobyl has a 30 k exclusion zone ?

Breaking my sides laughing at Ailesbury road moments and the lads wrecking the D4 home. One of those TV moments that make you wonder do they ever actually read the script before they go ahead and film it ? A missed oportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

in trying to find out why its so sparse
    the director David Vaffery has done Divorcing Jack and Grand Theft Parson http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0128452/ so no direct clue

Mark Venner wrote Pavee Lacken http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1975745/ which I've never seen but heard very little happened it in it, theres a clue!... and along with the realism it might have been the first and second things he has written...

and the two writers have only seemed to scripted pop culture shows so far
    Declan Jones http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1645087/ and Jonny Ferguson. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0272491/ ah he screenwrote Gangster No1 and appeared on the DIck Clarke show in 1960!!

still reminded me of an episode of True Lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Didnt see the program but...

Why are ye all slagging Gerry Fleming off??? He does other stuff besides presenting the weather reports, and would probably be in a better position to give advice than most. I've seen him present at conferences a few times. Just because he winks at the camera doesnt mean he is thick... far from it in fact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Elmo wrote:
    I know but not when I took them.

The whole "Marianne Finucane and Joe Jaboc Interview" had me very worried. :D

Anyone know where I can find that inteview? I have searched google and found nothing.

rtsp://streaming2.rte.ie/2001/0926/marianfinucane.ra

"I beg your pardon, I've got nuclear on the brain" - Joe Jacob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Thanks for the link! Talk about a man out of his depth!

You'd miss Marianne Finucane these days on Radio 1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I only saw part 2, and think that the cringiness of the whole thing added to the realism of it all. If such a disaster were to happen i could see RTE producing such a documentary, with someone like Mark Little asking feral skanger kids stupid questions, plus the obligatory 'establish countryside location' shots of people walking down lanes in wellies.

And, yes, David McWilliams talking about resultant negative equity is what i'd expect to see in a real life documentary. C'mon, it's Ireland, we're obsessed with property. I'm just a little dissappointed there was no mention of people moving over to their apartments in Turkey and Budapest rather than Achill.

Advertisement