Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price Of contraception??

• 21-04-2006 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi guys

I was just wondering if anybody could give me a rough idea of the prices of the pill, Implanon (the implant), and the contraceptive injection...?

I currently on the pill, but had a student Med. card which expired last month, so was oblivious to the cost...and am also considering a change in contraception when my pill runs out this month!!

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Im on the contraceptive injection about 4 or 5 years now. Its brilliant. I would highly recommend it. Anyway, it usually costs around €16 every 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Prices of the pill differ. Been on ones ranging from 7 Euro - 16.50 p/m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I get 6 months of Microlite (contraceptive pill) at a time, at a cost of roughly €40-45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Would agree on the depo injection, works for me, although the odd crazy mood swing. Approx 16euro every 3 months plus the 45-50euro to see the doc. You could prob save on that if you know anyone (nurse etc) who could give you the injection instead of the doc, as you pick up the phial with the prescription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

The patch is expensive. Its roughly €25 for a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

The PDs want to cut vat on contraception so it might get cheaper soon

I get my mother to dab my arse with whiskey and give me the injection every 12 weeks. Saves a bomb on Doctors fees!! ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tri - I will not have the advocation of non-professionally supplied injections on this board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Im on Noriday the progesterone only pill due to an allergy to oestragen, its €4 per month and works great 4 me!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Mine is Mercilon and it costs 20 for three months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dianette costs €10 per month, and Marvelon is the same iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 monkeybusiness

thanks guys, :D
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised as I thought they would be more expensive, it's really the doctors fees that push up the price!
    thanks again oh and is anyone using the implant?

I'm definately changing from the pill, just wondered debating implant vs injection at the moment...

I have implanon, I have a drug scheme card so the implant itself cost me 85 euro, without the card it would have been 200.But everyone in the country is entitled to that scheme anyway.Also check if you are entitled to a GP visit card.
    I had to make 2 visits to the doctor once to discuss the pros and cons of the implant, and a second time to actually insert it.
    So it cost me 175 euro altogether, and will last three years so that works out at 5.56 a month.
    I'm very happy with the implant,no sideeffects except that I rarely have periods which is a massive plus for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

dudara wrote:
    Tri - I will not have the advocation of non-professionally supplied injections on this board.

Why?
    People inject themselves all the time and have been given the OK to do so by their docs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

thanks guys, :D
    I'm actually pleasantly surprised as I thought they would be more expensive, it's really the doctors fees that push up the price!
    thanks again oh and is anyone using the implant?

I'm definately changing from the pill, just wondered debating implant vs injection at the moment...
    The injection and implant are both progesterone only. The effects of this differ from the combined pill, but there are fewer side effects. If you're on the combined pill, alot of doctors will recommend you try the POP pill first to see if it agrees with you. But they don't always do that.
    This happened me and I'm thinking of getting the injections now as it suits me just fine.
    No periods is the main side effect and it does really take the 3 months to settle in. But no nausea, no headaches, not much weight gain, no weird fits of crying as I experienced on the combined pill.
    There's also no blood clot risk with the POP and I'm just generally happier to be putting less crap into my body.

kittex wrote:
    The injection and implant are both progesterone only. The effects of this differ from the combined pill, but there are fewer side effects. If you're on the combined pill, alot of doctors will recommend you try the POP pill first to see if it agrees with you. But they don't always do that.
    This happened me and I'm thinking of getting the injections now as it suits me just fine.
    No periods is the main side effect and it does really take the 3 months to settle in. But no nausea, no headaches, not much weight gain, no weird fits of crying as I experienced on the combined pill.
    There's also no blood clot risk with the POP and I'm just generally happier to be putting less crap into my body.

The injection effects everyone differently. I was on the injection for 2 years + and it was perfect for the first year and then i started the weight gain,i got periods in completely irregular patterns, and i got weird fits of crying.

It is also a biatch to come off. I was getting periods every 2 weeks for about 5 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭madhitchhiker

i have tried injection and yeah i have menstrual irregularities too although i didnt gain weight..i stopped after a year and im not using anything at all now..:D

which is perfectly fine if you are not currently sexually active or looking to get pregant with a long term partner our you partner has had a Vasectmy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Hi guys

I was just wondering if anybody could give me a rough idea of the prices of the pill, Implanon (the implant), and the contraceptive injection...?

I currently on the pill, but had a student Med. card which expired last month, so was oblivious to the cost...and am also considering a change in contraception when my pill runs out this month!!

Any help would be appreciated!

I've never used pills or patches or anything like that. Get your boyfriend to wear a condom - even if you're on the pill condoms are still a must- so save yourself money, by going to your local family clinic where you can pick up condoms for free!

All those pills and patches just have too many side effects, do things the natural way!

• Advertisement

esperanza wrote:
    I've never used pills or patches or anything like that. Get your boyfriend to wear a condom - even if you're on the pill condoms are still a must- so save yourself money, by going to your local family clinic where you can pick up condoms for free!

All those pills and patches just have too many side effects, do things the natural way!

Condoms aren't natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

orla wrote:
    Condoms aren't natural.

As opposed to all those other pills, they're the most natural form of protection you can get, believe me!;)

Dudara - get a grip. My mother is an ex nurse. And its perfectly safe to give yourself the injection - I just dont have the guts. My doctor said so. So get your facts straight first before giving out to me!!!!!

Actually you have to be trained to administer injections even to yourself.
    Dibetics have to under go a training classes to ensure they know what they are doing.

Tri you did not mention that your mother had been a nurse and so was trained in this matter,
    Dudara was perfectly correct in the stance she took.
    Tri I suggest that you rethink posting on this forum if you can not abide by the rules in the charter
    and post in a civil manner, if you insist in being so confrontational you will be banned from the forum.

Have a nice day
    Thaedydal

I had my doctors consent, like I said. He said it was perfectly safe. When you go to get the injection, the doctor shows you what to do.

When I told Dudara to get his/her facts straight, that was the part I was referring to.

I apologise if you thought that was too confrontational. I will tone it down as it seems we have quite a few sensitive folk around here.

Hope you have a nice day too.

Tri
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi
    I was prescribed yasmin yesterday, (the pill for the first time) but there was a bit of a language barrier with the doctor, and I left the clinic slightly unsure of what to do. I read the information book and it says that you shouldn't start taking the tablets until the first day of your cycle, which is two weeks away... does anybody know if I can start them before that? I already asked the doctor these questions but didnt get any answers....help?

Advertisement