Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enniscorthy Bypass

• 21-04-2006 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

This is an issue that doesn't seem to be getting enough attention imo.
    Why is the Enniscorthy bypass only planned to be wide two lane and not dual carriageway? After all, it is a euroroute, and i think population trends will definitely justify it in the near future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

So do Wexord CC. AFAIK they have asked the NRA to consider dualling that bypass. Makes sense to me as you say it's a friggin Euroroute and heck, the atlantic road corridor from Mallow to Tuam is to be dual carriageway, Tuam has a population of just 5k people, so even on those grounds you could expect the N11 to be dual to Wexford if Rosslare wasn't a port town!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Perhaps if not duial carriageway, then 2+1??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Should def be a dual way.One of the busiest roads in the country and most NB coz of all the port traffic.They would be v foolish not to dual it at least beyond Enniscorthy.
    The prob is that it was upgraded a lot in the early 90s and so this would have looked like a waste of money if abandoned in favour of a dual way now.

mfitzy wrote:
    The prob is that it was upgraded a lot in the early 90s and so this would have looked like a waste of money if abandoned in favour of a dual way now.
    Yeah, you might be on to something there but the NRA didn't exist in the early 90's so they wouldn't look foolish if they did it, if anything Wex CC would look the foolish ones but of course in the early 90's there was no money to do anything else.

They should dual the damn thing and be done with it, not necessarily dualling the stretch north to tie in to the Gorey bypass for many years but at least leaving the door open for continuous DC to at least south of Enniscorthy. I'd say it may never be dualled south of there as the route passes through a tight cutting as it crosses the Slaney entering Wexford town (this is from memory, someone feel free to correct me).

I reckon continuous DC to south of E/corthy and 2+1 upgrades of the remaining N11/N25 to Rosslare would could the mustard pretty fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The road between Enniscorthy and Wexford is exellent for a single caraige job trouble is that flipping one nag hamlet Oylgate is sat right on it! Will that get bypassed at least?

The Ferrycarrig section onto the Wexford by-pass is tight but nothing that several tonnes of high explosive could'nt fix! Or the roqd could cut behind the rock outcrop and over the river on a new bridge going behind the Iron Age farmstead recreation and meeting up with the curent road on the upslope near the roundabout.

Mike.

• Advertisement

I reckon because of the fairly high quality of the N11 approaching Wexford and the high cost of blasting that cutting (plus the fact you'd probably have to close the road!) that 2+1 upgrades are the best that can be reasonably expected south of E/corthy, however many people despise 2+1 in comparison to WS2, even though it is much safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My ferrycarrig by-pass!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

nice idea for the ferrycarrig bypass i must say! i think its ridiculous not to dual as far as rosslare - when the gorey bypass is finished, the commutable (is that a word?!) distance from dublin will be even further, and towns like wexford, enniscorthy and the villages in between will experience a population growth because of this.
    also, considering the general population growth around the country (which i'm sure the census will confirm), it's very short sighted of the nra to construct single carriageway upgrades on this stretch of road because the amount of vehicles doesn't justify it. same goes for the "atlantic corridor" imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

3 Things (previously posted)

1. Enniscorthy bypass is not even planned for the near future. the CC are prioritising the New Ross so this will start in 2009 earliest. The CC have publicly stated they want DC from the Gorey bypass to Rosslare.

2. There are no plans, anywhere that I have heard about, to bypass Camolin, Ferns & Oilgate. There is a recognition from the CC that the bottleneck is just being moved down the road but the NRA have nothing planned.

3. Further up the road the money to start the Rathnew/Arklow section last Jan disappeared with the new Transport 21 program. Money is in place to continue clearing the route but it is now not expected that construction will start till next year, a year behind the current plan.

On a brighter note I hear Gorey bypass is ahead of schedule.

3 Things (previously posted)

1. Enniscorthy bypass is not even planned for the near future. the CC are prioritising the New Ross so this will start in 2009 earliest. The CC have publicly stated they want DC from the Gorey bypass to Rosslare.

2. There are no plans, anywhere that I have heard about, to bypass Camolin, Ferns & Oilgate. There is a recognition from the CC that the bottleneck is just being moved down the road but the NRA have nothing planned.

3. Further up the road the money to start the Rathnew/Arklow section last Jan disappeared with the new Transport 21 program. Money is in place to continue clearing the route but it is now not expected that construction will start till next year, a year behind the current plan.

On a brighter note I hear Gorey bypass is ahead of schedule.

• Advertisement

The Gorey bypass is indeed flying along. I took the back roads around Gorey on Sunday (in a car unfortunately) and there are major structures already complete (bridges and culverts). I thought they were still just clearing the site but no, they are forging on.

Wrt, the bypassing of Ferns, Camolin etc. none of these are as bad or will be as bad as Gorey because of all the othe roads that feed into Gorey. Ferns just has one other regional road into it, the others have none.

Let's be honest, the N11 is steadily becoming the best interurban (after the M1) in the land, quietly there being extended while nada is really happening on the N7 south of Portlaoise. Interesting that.

Even if itends up DC just to south of Gorey and a good WS2 from there on with the worst towns bypassed it'll be a free road (no tolls) and a pretty good one at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

while nada is really happening on the N7 south of Portlaoise

... apart from the 28km section from Nenagh to Limerick which is due to start this year, and phase 2 (10km) of the Limerick SRR. The Portlaoise-Cullahill section is through planning, but work won't start until next year

Not to mention the 77km of the N8 to start, the Fermoy by pass to complete this year (apparently) and the last non DC part to have a contract to build signed. By early 2010, the entire Cork-Dublin route will be either Motorway or HQDC (at least some of which will have a 120kph speed limit)

Aidan1 wrote:
    ... apart from the 28km section from Nenagh to Limerick which is due to start this year, and phase 2 (10km) of the Limerick SRR. The Portlaoise-Cullahill section is through planning, but work won't start until next year

Not to mention the 77km of the N8 to start, the Fermoy by pass to complete this year (apparently) and the last non DC part to have a contract to build signed. By early 2010, the entire Cork-Dublin route will be either Motorway or HQDC (at least some of which will have a 120kph speed limit)
    I know all this stuff is 'in/through planning' (apart from Fermoy which is in construction) but you now what I mean-the N11 is ploughing ahead almost unnoticed while the truly major roads are yet to get a move on. I'm not whining either way-I'm from Dublin and rarely use any of these roads but just pointing out that anytime I've been on the N11 they've been improving it (closing off median crossings/adding pedestrian bridges/bypasses etc.), yet there are vast quantities of the other routes in total bits. The only completes this/last year on the major interurbans are actually toll roads too (unless somehow they complete the N4 stretch under construction)! The N11 is gonna be free to use.

I know what you meant, I was just pointing out that, in effect, the N11 has reached critical mass on a number of projects about a year ahead of the N7/8/4, possibly due to the fact that each section is smaller. Each of these routes (apart perhaps from the N7 Limerick road) is operating way over capacity, and 'small fixes' are not appropriate. However green field road developments take time to push through planning and approvals process, hence the delay.

There are 2 big projects on the N8 to start this year (one has already begun I think), and 2 more to start next year. That will be the whole route either 'finished' or under construction with a likely finish date of 2010. Its about 4 years later than originally planned, but its a start. Just cos you don't see bulldozers at work doesn't mean progress ain't being made ...

Aidan1 wrote:
    I know what you meant, I was just pointing out that, in effect, the N11 has reached critical mass on a number of projects about a year ahead of the N7/8/4, possibly due to the fact that each section is smaller. Each of these routes (apart perhaps from the N7 Limerick road) is operating way over capacity, and 'small fixes' are not appropriate. However green field road developments take time to push through planning and approvals process, hence the delay.
    Interesting, but the likes of the Gorey Bypass is 23km long. Not far off the last motorway opening on the N4 and as long as the Fermoy Bypass IIRC! and not forgetting that on the Cork route they are including a very short project just south of Mithelstown IIRC, so not all bigguns but still taking ages.
    Aidan1 wrote:
    There are 2 big projects on the N8 to start this year (one has already begun I think), and 2 more to start next year. That will be the whole route either 'finished' or under construction with a likely finish date of 2010. Its about 4 years later than originally planned, but its a start. Just cos you don't see bulldozers at work doesn't mean progress ain't being made ...
    True, and it's good to see the things getting moved along, I just find it interesting that the N11 is "the quiet man" of interurbans. I know the road wasn't explicitly mentioned in T21 but the plan did mention "150km" of kilometres of DC in addition to the major interurbans. I feel the N11 will get some of that and apart from the gap between Arklow and Wicklow (clearly shown as filled in with a HQDC on the T21 map) that dualling further south of perhaps Enniscorthy may well become a reality. That would be pretty impressive considering the state of parts of the N11 not so long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

There are 2 big projects on the N8 to start this year (one has already begun I think),
    No i dont think their (N8 Cullahill to Cashel +N8 Cashel to Mitchelstow) under construction because i drove along the routes a month ago . All I saw was a small bit of work (maybe archaeology) on the Cork side of Cahir but that was it.

Heres a list of schemes to start this year

Scheme Road Type Length (km) Estimated Completion (Quarter/Year)
    M3 Clonee/Kells (PPP Scheme) Motorway 60

N4 Dromod Rooskey 2+1 Carriage 11

N6 Kinnegad to Athlone Phase 2 Dual Carriageway 29

N7 Limerick Southern Ring Road Phase 2 (PPP Scheme) Dual Carriageway 10

N7 Nenagh to Limerick Dual Carriageway 38

N8 Cullahill to Cashel Dual Carriageway 40

N8 Cashel to Mitchelstown Dual Carriageway 37

N9 Kilcullen/Waterford (Northern Section) Phase 1 Dual Carriageway 19

N9 Kilcullen/Waterford (Southern Section) Phase 1 Dual Carriageway 24

N11 Enniskerry Junction Improvements Footbridge -

N11 Kilpeddar Delgany Junction Improvements Junction -

N25 Waterford City Bypass (PPP Scheme) Dual Carriageway
    Single Carriageway 23

M50 Upgrade Scheme Phase 2 (PPP Scheme) Motorway 24

N80 Mountmellick Relief Road Single Carriageway 1

I drove farm machinery up and down the N11 in the mid 1990s (mea culpa if anybody was ever stuck behind me ) - it was hell - its probably the single most improved national road in the state today. Understandable in ways, its also seen very rapid increases in traffic, even by Irish standards. I pity anyone who's commute includes Gorey.

(I think the short route you're referring to in Mitchelstown is an inner ring road. It will take the N8 traffic for a couple of years, but will be superceded by the Mitchelstown-Fermoy section of the N8 - 22km - its the furthest away from completion.)

Eeek! Another Midleton person on the board!

I think the route for one of the project has been fenced and some clearing started earlier in April. Only second hand info though.

To be fair to all you tractor drivers out there, you're usually the first to make use of the hard shoulder on WS2 roads! Unlike some gobsh!tes who'll merrily drive their cars at 40mph about 6 inches from the centre line leaving about 15 feet of tarmac to the left of their vehicle! Here's a pic I took last weekend on the N9 Moone-Timolin bypass;
    normal_P1010050.JPG

high quality

Eeek! Another Midleton person on the board!

No most of them lads are only "claiming" to be from Midleton :D

I didnt think any dubliner would know the Irish for Midleton:rolleyes:

Its a small world Philip, the guy who owns that tractor (more than likely given the location, and tractor ) is the guy I used work for up there. We baled straw all over the country, from a base near where you took that photo. You'll find that (some) tractor drivers are more courteous than other users primarily because they know full well that they'll need that courtesy in return regularly. Particularly with wide equipment.

Not a tractor driver anymore, but people I used work with are still concerned about getting penalty points for doing exactly what the driver in question is doing.

• Advertisement

Aidan1 wrote:
    Not a tractor driver anymore, but people I used work with are still concerned about getting penalty points for doing exactly what the driver in question is doing.
    You can't be done for crosing any single broken line (yellow or white) so if you hear of anyone being done make sure they contest it Aidan! Many people are also unaware that you can legally drive in hatching so long as the lines around the hatching are broken (many aren't of course so you're crossing a continuous white line which can be an offence). The legal ability to move over into the hard shoulder like that is a key difference between our ROTR and the UK's Highway Code which would not allow that manouevre as their hard shoulders are always continuous white lines, even on non-motorways, which are the only roads we have that use a continuous line to indicate the shoulder.

That stretch of the N9 is just about the oly decent bit. It's a truly shocking road south of Gowran all the way to Waterford with I'd say 2 or 3 passing places!

I think the N11 will become more dangerous when the Gorey bypass finishes if progress is not made on the Bee-hive to Jack whites section, formally known as Rathnew/Arklow bypass. Traffic from both directions will come off DC onto some dengerous bends and the notorious Jack whites stretch

PoolDude wrote:
    I think the N11 will become more dangerous when the Gorey bypass finishes if progress is not made on the Bee-hive to Jack whites section, formally known as Rathnew/Arklow bypass. Traffic from both directions will come off DC onto some dengerous bends and the notorious Jack whites stretch
    I wouldn't say it'll become statistically more dangerous tbh. I know what you're trying to say but eliminating 23km of single carriageway (and remember slower speed vehicle->pedestrian accidents occur in the towns and result in often serious injuries, as well as the high speed headon collsions outside of the towns) should more than compensate for the 'speed factor' of having two HQDCs connected by a single carriageway, even a dangerous one like that stretch. Those "Dual Carriageway 2km ahead" signs are very odd aren't they. The are basically saying "ok, slow down, don't bother overtaking that guy doing 55mph you'll be able to pass him at 70 in a minute or two, pleeeaaaase!"

The T21 document clearly shows that gap filled with DC so I don't think it'll be that long until they get that stretch moving. It'll be a nice oul stretch of DC once that's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

Although there are some primary roads in NI with hard shoulders there isn’t the same practise up here of pulling over to let someone overtake. I reckon it never became established due to the inferior surfacing on the hard shoulders up here. Where you have HRA on the shoulder, making it as good as the carriageway lanes, we tend to have lumpy cheapo tarmac or worse, loose stones – pull in there and you’ll put someone’s window out! And even on the rare occasion where the shoulder is half-decent there’s the solid white line as Philip pointed out to discourage pulling over.

What is the reasoning behind the wide single carriageway roads anyway? They seem to only be an Irish and British phenomenon – average American roads are probably all this wide! Is it to increase safety by giving trucks and other wide vehicles more lane space or is it with future proofing in mind – they can easily be converted into 2+1s.
    Murphaph wrote:
    Many people are also unaware that you can legally drive in hatching so long as the lines around the hatching are broken (many aren't of course so you're crossing a continuous white line which can be an offence).
    That’s interesting. Most of the hatching up here is bounded by broken white lines. Conversely, I’ve rarely ever seen hatching with broken white lines down there – solid lines seem to be used in most places. The Dundrum bypass seems to be an exception.
    True, and it's good to see the things getting moved along, I just find it interesting that the N11 is "the quiet man" of interurbans.
    Statue of John Wayne at one of the junctions, anyone?!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Wexford Co Co have committed funds to doing a route selection on the Enniscorthy Gorey section.

http://www.wexford.ie/Roads/downloads/RoadWorks2006.pdf

see the last page on this report. Dont know what they can do with 50 k though.

50k would probably do a fair bit if the work is being done in-house. Is that a typo? It says Clogh-Enniscorthy is the N12!

Anyway, the fact that the CC is willing to put money into it is a good sign and makes a stronger case for national funding to build the actual road once they've selected a route. The 50k is only one year's funding. Assuming it's in planning & design for a few years before it starts then it'd be more like 150k-250k on planning and design which is a decent sum. I assume WCC will make sure any route is capable of taking a HQDC as they're the ones pushing for it!

It'd be cool to someday take Euroroute 1 from Larne to Rosslare all on DC or HQDC.

Yeah this is the Euroroute 01
    E01 - Larne - Belfast - Dublin - Rosslare - Corunna - Pontevedra - Valença

Lads whats the road like between Rosslare and Corunna :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

floods easily......:)

Not as bad as Dublin Port Tunnel though :o

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    It'd be cool to someday take Euroroute 1 from Larne to Rosslare all on DC or HQDC.

It would indeed, about 4 hours max would do it. 352km on autoroute it be.

Here are the obstacles to that as far as i can see, starting from that lovely (:eek: ) town of Larne,

1. Road from edge of Larne through Ballynure to A8(M)

This involves the dualling of the road from Larne to the edge of ballynure, a ballynure bypass and from colemans corner, the southside of ballynure, to the a8(m). Parts 1 and 3 of this are in the local plan for 2015 they will be gsjed, the middle bit is not mentioned although they did built a partial (about 1/3 required distance) from the a8 to the carrick road. So this bit may take a while. A flyover for the larne ballymena road southbound would also be a bonus. gsj on roundabout outside larne would be nice but not essential as it is already freeflow n/s

2. A8(M) to A2

Basically a gsj at both ends with a free flow m2/a8M line. This is planned, although the should rename the a8m as it is an embarassment. m2 is to be widened to 3 lanes min to belfast city centre by 2010.

3. m2/m1 & westlink

dunno what the f**k they will do with this interchange, teleportation might solve it. westlink is being upgraded by 2009 to motorway standard. m3 to be extended by a couple of miles in bangor direction

4. a1/m1 interchange

a free flow junction is planned to replace the current fiasco. says 2015 but would not be surprised to see it fast tracked.

5. junctions on a1 from lisburn to north of newry

4 major ones to be gsj'ed, i would imagine the rest will be slowly updated or closed off

6. north newry- dundalk
    3 schemes by 2010, common knowledge, m1 junction on dundalk-crossmaglen road r177 mentioned on louth cc website to help those inconvenienced fuel smugglers

7. dundalk-rathnew
    freeflow m1/m50 and blow up the two toll bridges, fule smugglers might help here

8. rathnew-arklow
    to be built, an bord pleanna site has written details of scheme but no map

9. clogh - enniscorthy
    as mentioned, 50k should build it ;)

10. enniscorthy bypass
    mentioned, but gsj at its end instead of roundabout would be nice

11. enniscorthy to south wexford
    that bridge looks like a good idea, rest should be ugraded to dc as stated by wexford cc

and the rest is planned but should be upgraded to dc likewise

coupled with the n30 upgrade and the waterford bypass and n24 upgrade will make wexford one of the best served parts of ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

nordydan wrote:
    I
    road r177 mentioned on louth cc website to help those inconvenienced fuel smugglers

Good work, NordyDan. However the only people who think that the R177 goes from Dundalk to Crossmaglen are the Northern signposters, who direct traffic that way because at one time in the distant past there was a customs post there. I think a fuel smuggler would probably use the Dundalk Rd, Crossmaglen or even the famous Larkins Rd, both of which lead to the N53 (which badly needs upgrading).

They've made a complete mess of M1/A1 at Sprucefield and building a new dual carriageway towards Newry with all those junctions is crazy.

Oh yes those unapproved roads, i was watching "Eat the Peach" theo ther night and it all came flooding back!
    Yep i reckon the sprucefield debacle will be fixed inside a few years for the n/s direction, with the a1 south - m1 west remaining as it is for now. Also i would not at all be surprised if a special document on e01 was brought out to finish this job off. I would actually like a free flow off the a8 onto the m2 in both the belfast and derry directions. I know the are doing some junction realigning here as it currently feeds 5 roads, and the road to castledawson should be complete inside the next 5 years. hopefully this will be gsj and freeflow to the glenshane pass.

Just been nosing about the THRDO website and found this page. It seems to suggest that the N11 bypass of Enniscorthy is to be DC afterall. It's pretty old info but I don't think it's been posted here before. Looking at the maps it appears there's an at grade roundabout (not the terminal roundabouts, one in the middle of the scheme) on it though, but in reality this could be eliminated if it became a problem. The western (N30 or N80, not sure what they'll name it) bypass is to be single carriageway of course. These two roads would be excellent for the southeast. I think they're part of T21 and in reality if DC never went further south than Enniscorthy it'd still be a damn fine (and toll free) national primary route. At least they appear serious about the N11 bypass being DC which means in future it'll be more easily upgradable to fully grade separated if needs be.

I saw that article and I would tend to rely more on the info on the nra website but I reckon that it will be eventually made DC due to local politics. You're right though, wide DC with room for future expansion would suffice if it freed up funds for good progress was made on other parts of the country eg westport-castlebar (has anyone ever seen anything about armagh-monaghan?)

Due to the population in south dublin and braw and north wicklow, the route via the n30 will provide a steady flow of commuters to new ross and waterfrod and perhaps ease some of the traffic off the M50.

They could have done with an overall map and updating the links in general on that website. And a few others as well.:mad:

murphaph wrote:
    Ferns just has one other regional road into it, the others have none.
    Annoyingly., coming from Wexford the regional has the right of way..

• Advertisement

jd wrote:
    Annoyingly., coming from Wexford the regional has the right of way..
    Yeah, that's a shocking junction priority that one. So easy to change too!

reminiscent of a staggered junctionon the n52 between kells and ardee, cant for the life of me remember the road number though..

Or the stupifity in Enniscorty where we give right of way to the town traffic if your on the N11.

BTW: It is ecpected that the Rathnew/Arklow section will start early next year, my point earlier was that it should have started in January. Wicklow CC were as suprised as anyone when T21 came along and sucked funds away until next year.

PoolDude wrote:
    BTW: It is ecpected that the Rathnew/Arklow section will start early next year, my point earlier was that it should have started in January. Wicklow CC were as suprised as anyone when T21 came along and sucked funds away until next year.
    I drove down to Wexford last week-unless I am ver mistaken, it looks like some preliminary cleranace work has started.

jd wrote:
    I drove down to Wexford last week-unless I am ver mistaken, it looks like some preliminary cleranace work has started.
    A mate living in Enniscorthy said the same thing to me last week. I asked him twice was he sure he wasn't thinking about the Gorey bypass and he assured me it was near Jack White's that he saw the clearance works. maybe the quiet man of the interurban's is continuing to live up to his reputation!

• Advertisement

It is ecpected that the Rathnew/Arklow section will start early next year, my point earlier was that it should have started in January. Wicklow CC were as suprised as anyone when T21 came along and sucked funds away until next year.

Anyone has a map for the scheme please ?

Fool 5000 wrote:
    Anyone has a map for the scheme please ?
    I've never seen one, that's not to say it doesn't exist of course (it must do at this stage) but it mightn't be online. The tender for legal teams to begin the CPO process was issued in September, as was the fencining off one......
    N11 Rathnew to Arklow Road Improvement Scheme - Tender for the provision of Legal Services

Tenders are invited from competent firms of Solicitors, to undertake all legal work on behalf of Wicklow County Council in association with the National Roads Authority, in relation to land transfers associated with the proposed 16km N11 Rathnew to Arklow Road Improvement Scheme.

The Road Scheme involves the construction of approximately 16.33 km of Dual Carriageway and some side road realignments. This will be the last section of N11 in County Wicklow to be upgraded to dual carriageway. Once completed it will form part of a continuous dual carriageway/motorway section of Euro Route 1 linking the village of Clogh in County Wexford with Newry in County Down. The approximate land-take for the Scheme is 180 ha. There are approximately 105 land holdings along the route.

The work involved will include ongoing liaison with the Project Team, inspection of Landowners Titles, preparation of Agreements for acquisitions including acquisitions of relevant Rights of Way, Wayleaves and related matters.

The services required will also include preparing Requisitions, preparation of Deeds, their Execution, Stamping and Registration in respect of all lands and interests acquired for purposes of this scheme.

N11 Rathnew to Arklow Road Improvement Scheme - Advance Hedgerow Clearance and Fencing Contract

20-Sep-2005

The contract involves the supply and erection of approximately 36 km of permanent and 16.5 km temporary boundary fencing, the felling of all of the trees on the site and clearance of all hedgerows within the lands made available amounting to 182 ha, except trees and hedgerows along roadside boundaries; along the proposed N11 Rathnew to Arklow Road Improvement Scheme between the N11 Arklow Bypass and the N11 Ashford Rathnew dual carriageway.

A maintenance period will apply for three years or until the start of road construction (which ever comes first). During this period the site shall be kept clear of any weeds or vegetation and fences properly maintained.

The Contract may also include, subject to availability; the demolition and site clearance of a number of dwellings along the route of the Scheme. The Application Deadline for requests for Tender Documents is 6th October 2005. After that date, Tender Documents will be dispatched to Contractors who have expressed an interest in Tendering for the works. Tender Documents will not be dispatched before 6th October 2005.

jd wrote:

Yes. Wicklow CC are continuing the clearance work. Here is the last mail I got a while back (it's posted in the N11 thread)

In response to your recent query, I am atteching a file which I have downloaded from the recent NRA Press release some days ago. I gather from your e-mail that you have read this already and that you have correctly identified that our section of the N11 will not commence construction in 2006. As far as I know, the Council has not been formally told that the road will not commence constuction in 2006. We are as I have previously told you, in the process of clearing the site and erecting fencing. We also have a second phase of Archaeology in progress so for the first six months of 2006 we should be busy. I and my colleagues in this office are busy trying to agree accommodation works with landowners and this will progress in a big way in 2006. I expect to agree compensation claims with most landowners in 2006, but there will be some that will inevitably have to go to a property asessor or arbitrator. As you can see we will in any case be very busy. It a bit ironic but the breathing space that we have at the moment may make for a smoother on-site relationship between the Contract when it starts and landowners, as the site will have been cleared and fenced before the Works commence and with a considerable amount of accommodation works in place (if not quite in use). Experience tells us that relations with landowners can become strained if you are clearing a site at the same time as construction is in progress.

Nonetheless I share in the disappointment that you and fellow motorists must feel that our N11 is not likely to start in 2006. I live in ***** so I also am a fellow motorist. I am also concerned that as the existing N11 which caries 16,800 veh/day (capacity 13,800) gets ever more congested that we will start to have more accidents. I anticipate a lot of congestion at the Tap Bends this Summer and I am sure that you experience this every evening as you commute home ( I suspect that you are a regular user of this road). Be assued however that the documentation for the Design and Build Road Construction Contract for this road is very much ready should the NRA give us the green light to Tender for this Road Scheme

I have scheme maps but they exceed the limit allowed to be uploaded.

Could I just say that your contact in WCC is a rare (and very welcome) example of openness in the local authority area when it comes to this sort of thing. The NRA will happily ignore you, despite what their customer charter might say!

Any chance of emailing me a copy of those plans pooldude?

Just sent them to JD who also PM'd me and he has added them below, its a large file.

The WCC guy has been very courteous over the time I have been in contact with him. I e-mailed the NRA to confirm the change in schedule - you should have seen the responses I got, it was like speaking to a cross bred lawyer/politican. I'll try dig out some of those mails, just to make you laugh!

Cheers pooldude

at www.calligrafont.com/john/n11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murphaph wrote:
    The western (N30 or N80, not sure what they'll name it) bypass is to be single carriageway of course.
    It would be N30, the N80 ends just at the start of the new N30.

http://www.wexford.ie/Roads/downloads/Enniscorthy.pdf

Victor wrote:
    It would be N30, the N80 ends just at the start of the new N30.

http://www.wexford.ie/Roads/downloads/Enniscorthy.pdf

I Wonder what kind of junction(s) they are planning for where the n11/n30/n80/enniscorthy access road (old n11) meet up..

n11enniscorthy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jd wrote:
    I Wonder what kind of junction(s) they are planning for where the n11/n30/n80/enniscorthy access road (old n11) meet up..
    Roundabout? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement