Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave water in rads ???

Options
  • 21-04-2006 8:14am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi extension starting on monday :D and need to remove oil boiler today.

Hence will need to drain the system.
    The heating will not be reconnected/running for possibly 2 months and am changing to gas from oil.

Do I close both valves on all rads and leave the water in them ??
    OR
    drain the full system and fernnox it when all back together.

I am trending to option 1 as I will need to add in a towel rail/rad in a few weeks.

Is it a problem leaving the rads empty for 2 months ie rust ??

thx

Karl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey Karl,

Can't comment on your two questions but have you considered the option of leaving current boiler in place until the last minute - that way you could just put some isolating valves on the heating pipes where they are to join the extension? This would let you use your heating right up until the extension pipes have been first fixed - would substantially reduce your downtime if its a runner.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

boiler taken out about 1 hr ago :D

the garage at the side of the house is being demolished on monday -so no way of leaving boiler and tank in place. weather has broken and will use an electric oil rad -mobile ones - for a few weeks.

was just mainly concerned with rust in the rads themselves over the 2 month period.

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I'm tempted to say leave the water in the rads and drain & treat them when all is back together. Certainly when the air gets inside the rad it wont take too long for rust to build up.

Advertisement