Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless network problems

• 21-04-2006 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Ok spent about 6 hours at this last nite, luckily im genetically going bald otherwise i wud have pulled it all out.

I have a laptop and a pc. Both dell. Both xp. Laptop has a intel wireless g card i think. Pc has a belkin pci g card.
    So i bought this http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx/oIJaWVUDLYZU93ygJVYKuJQSNvhLPG3yV3oVo57l74tNZwiMqJt7A==
    Ran the installer and everything worked fine using ethernet connections. was able to connect to internet using both comps through the router. then came the wireless.
    to cut a long night into a short story, basically the only way i can get the wireless network to work is if i enable it with no security. if i enable WPA or WEP then the wireless network gets picked up but i cannot connect to the internet or access the lan. (i used the same key on each computer and the router)
    i have set the MAC addresses for both comps to be accepted in filtering but obviously this is not enough security. for the time being i have disabled the access point and the wireless connections until it can be sorted. any solutions or links would be greatly appreciated? and as i say, everything works perfectly without WPA or WEP enabled.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Any ideas, irlrobins?

What installer did you use? What.. oh hang on a sec you said BELKIN think I just found your problem.

Belkin have serious problems with their drivers and WinXP, try searching google for the model number of card and the word chipset (possible a Broadcom chipset) Hope this works.

That just leaves the laptop, what model card is it and what software are you using to config it (Windoze or Intel Pro Wireless...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I had a similiar problem with a belkin USB wireless card before. I had to uninstall the Belking management software and use windows to manage the network connections to get the WEP to work....
    There was a post similiar to this yesterday.....there were some comments on it which may be of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Any ideas, irlrobins?
    what am I? Resident Wireless Guru? ;)

Ok so both machines work fine without encryption. So therefore your settings ip wise are fine. You say also that if you have mac filtering and no WEP or WPA they both can still connect.

The problem occurs when you try to enable WEP or WPA. Since both laptops can't connect then it might be a problem on the router side.

Does the Dlink have the latest firmware installed? Have you tried a factory reset to put it back to it's default settings and then reconfigured? When you enable WEP or WPA do the machines get allocated an ip address? (use ipconfig /all on each machine to see).

Give us the answers to these questions and we might get a lil closer.

In response to what MC and K have said, Belkin are shit. But since it appears that the laptop also has the same problem, I think we should work on the basis that this is not a Belkin related issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Nice side step of the Belkin issue there irlrobins, maybe we could get it a forum all its own and call it 'Belkin Bashing' or some such 'trendy' title... LOL ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Well the sooner people realise/learn that Belkin are the IBB of wireless gear the better! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

OP: Can you please specify and comfirm the details of the cards in both machines?
    What strength WEP & WPA did you apply?

As suggested previously: update drivers & AP firmware.

Have you tried resetting the router, and removing any entries in 'Preferred Networks' on the clients and trying setup from scratch?

Failing that, turn off proprietary speed enhacing functions of the router (if applicable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I have pretty similar configuration (laptop is IBM) and have it working ok with 128bit WEP (can't use anything stronger due to my printer server :( )

What's the part number of the Belkin Card?
    Doesn't sound like a Belkin specific problem, but worth knowing...

2 things for WEP.
    1. Make sure you select "open system" for authentication in the Belkin config utility and not "Shared Key" or similar.
    2. If using a string to set the WEP key make sure to select "ASCII" in the Belkin config and not "Passphrase".

Also - probably not you're problem - but definitely worth considering updating the FW. The FW supplied on ROI/UK boxes is pretty crap. The ADSL2 compatible firmware from the russian DLink site ftp://ftp.dlink.ru/pub/ADSL/DSL-G604T/Firmware/ADSL2+/V2.01.B01T01RU.20060109 is much better and is also ADSL backwards compatible

Also - for reference, the expansys forum http://www.expansys.ie/forum.asp?man=D-LIN&code=110551 is a great place for help on the DSL-G604T.

-RikD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

if memory serves, the belkin part number is F5D7000 (V2)

ive also updated the firmware before i started.

Thanks for the advice, i will try these things also, tried so many i have prob done them already but its worth another try

Advertisement