Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best sat nav system?

Options
  • 21-04-2006 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

What's the best sat nav system at the best price?

Friends have two cars, a Volvo and a Megane. The Volvo's sat nav is spectacularly better.

I'd like to buy a system and put it in my ancient rustbucket if possible, but what's good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

This comes up every 2-3 weeks on here....quick search should give you the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Hmm. I searched Google and site:boards.ie before posting and didn't find any helpful info. Could you direct me to one of the threads that answers my question?

If it does come up that often, though, perhaps it might be possible to make a sticky?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

luckat wrote:
    Hmm. I searched Google and site:boards.ie before posting and didn't find any helpful info. Could you direct me to one of the threads that answers my question?

Don't know if the searches are saved, but try this link:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=1722677
    Otherwise, just click on the "search" link and enter "sat nav", you will get a ton of results.
    luckat wrote:
    If it does come up that often, though, perhaps it might be possible to make a sticky?

Not before we get the usual Alfa debate stickied :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Luckat,

Check out the following thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054905248

Regards,

eorpach

Thanks, eorpach, the Garmin StreetPilot looks interesting, though they don't say whether it talks you through the journey...?

Eoin_S, that link didn't work for me, though thanks for trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Search for gps on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Pataman wrote:
    Search for gps on boards.ie
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Luckat,

Yes, the Garmin i3 instructs you verbally at every turn in the journey (as well as providing a textual explanation of the road you are currently travelling on along the top of the screen).

You can choose between several European languages. The English option even gives a choice between listening to an American Female voice (quite annoying!) or a British Female voice (not as bad!) It would be nice to see an Irish Female voice being provided by Garmin in a future firmware upgrade though!!!

If you decide not to input a route then the unit will show you a map of the road you're on and show your direction and speed (in miles or kph) in the lower corner of the screen. Speed is tracked by the satellite so I've noticed that it tends to show you as travelling a few kilometres per hour slower than you actually are - quite a handy feature though for helping to keep you within lower kph speed limits in built up areas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Whats a good satnav software for running ona laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

That article recommends navteq as the very best software - but others seem to say Garmin is the best navvy. Can a Garmin take Navteq software?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

luckat wrote:
    That article recommends navteq as the very best software - but others seem to say Garmin is the best navvy. Can a Garmin take Navteq software?

Is Garmin not the just the make of the hardware, which runs the NavTeq software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

garmin make the hardware, navteq make the maps.

Ah, wasn't sure, because some of the navvies I looked at boasted of using NavTeq ware, and Garmin wasn't one of them, I think.

Do Garmin navvies route you around traffic jams? My friends' Volvo's navvy does that, but the Megane's one doesn't.

Advertisement