Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Cognitive Science

Options
  • 21-04-2006 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows anything about this masters? i.e Have you done it, what did you think of it. What kind of employment can it lead to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I considered doing it for a while but I didn't in the end.. I know one person who did it and loved it, and another who found it very badly organised and dropped out (the dropping out was really more due to personal reasons, but he wasn't much impressed with the course either.) I think it's pretty easy to get into because there are 20 places on it and every year it's been running they've only had about 12 people doing it.
    The background you're coming from probably has a bearing on how you find it - my friend who liked it came in from a Computer Science degree and was continuing in that direction and he found it really suited him.
    I just remembered I actually know two people who've dropped out of it and they both came in from a Linguistics degree..maybe it's not as well-suited to people with interests at that end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Yes, I went to a meeting thingy where we were given information on various masters courses, and it was one of them. They did actually say that you could come at it from different areas, but recommended some previous experience with computing. Incidentally, the meeting was given by, and located in, the school of Computer Science and Informatics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 katyk

Thanks for the info. Im coming from an IT degree so maybe it would be suitable for me. Im just not sure what exactly it will do for me in the world of work. Did any of your friends get jobs that they found they really needed this masters for. Im out of college a few yrs and have been working as a project manager but I dont really like it, thats why Im looking to see if I can do further study and branch into something that I will like a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

The only person I know who finished it doesn't have to get a job because of the compensation he got off the Gardai for hitting him on the head at Reclaim The Streets. eh.. it might be worth dropping them a line directly.. I've heard they're nice people and would probably be helpful.. http://cogsci.ucd.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Woof!

Im thinkin the best person to go to would probably be Henry. I dont know if u know but hes a big deal!! just kidding. seriously hes really easy to talk to and he always makes time for people that come and visit him. Im sure if you have an IT degree you know where to go to speak to him. I dont know whether he's the head of that postgrad or whatever but any time I go past the rooms on the first floor its says Master Cog Sci and his name on the Room Wizard deelys which really dont have any point at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Another good person to talk to about this course would be Fred Cummins, he's also heavily involved with the running of this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

as rainbow kirby was saying, Fred Cummins is the person to talk to. It seems most people who do that course tend to go on to do Phd work in a related field. It's a really interesting course, I think the apparant problems in organisation come from the fact that it's handled by so many different schools within the university.

I have been looking at a number of avenues, like studying visual perception to get more into computer graphics and visualisation, and I reckon the course would help me there. I also had a few ideas relating to analysing behaviour patterns in pervasive computing environments, which has obvious links to cognition.
    What sort of stuff are you looking to get into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 kohima

As someone's who's done the course, I would highly recommend it to anyone, primarily for its diversity as an interfaculty course.I was in it last year,we had computer scientists, psychologists, and philosophy students in the class.By the end of the year, everyone had taken a major interest in cognitive science and we'd often go as a class to any related talks.The upside is that you have modules in linguistics,psychology, philosophy,theory of robots,connectionism,etc...the only downside is that some courses related to computer modelling or statistics could be difficult for those outside of it and it can be very demanding in the second term.The small class can be very close knit as well which is great for discussion and nights out...PM me if you want to talk about it more..

Advertisement