Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway sleepers for Garden

Options
  • 21-04-2006 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Anybody know where to get cheap :) railway sleepers in or around the Dublin area or elsewhere if they deliver!!
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Not so long ago the CIE yard in Portlaoise were selling them at good value. Don't know about delivery but give them a call and they might be able to sort you out. Perhaps you could also try Macs salvage in Islandbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Glen o' the Downs garden centre

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Glen o' the Downs garden centre

Any idea what price ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭taby_dub

Of the walkinstown round about on the greenhill road there is a place on the left with a sign saying railway sleepers for sale €20 or at the mad cow market there is a garden place beside it charging €25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Those sleepers are supposed to be carcinogenic from all the creosote put into them over the years.

I wouldn't use them near the vegetable patch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jildy

If you are purchasing railway sleepers for your garden, try to get new 'fake' ones.

Basically, old railway sleepers are very toxic due to the fact that they have been soaked in pee and ****e from all the trains dumping their toilets along the tracks for years.

This is especially important to note if you have children that may be playing around them and touching them.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The pis and sh1t is not a problem. It would have degraded long before the sleepers get sold on, besides it would be good for plants anyway.

As said before the wood preservatives used on them is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Any idea what price ?

Can't remember exactly, however they were in pristine condition. Maybe fake as suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

If you do get them, then make sure you have a buddy around to give a hand. They're fvcking heavy! The house I bought had a load of them and I needed to move them to make a flower bed thingy. Even after leaning them against a wall for months to dry them out (they were saturated) they nearly broke me to lift and move. Tip: Invite a few friends around for a barbacue, then have a competition!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

10-12 stone each from my memory!

Good for stretching your muscles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement