Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toll Bridge Layout

Options
  • 21-04-2006 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is the new toll bridge layout causing more trouble than before. I usually only use the northbound side in the evenings (go through town in the mornings)... but I have noticed recently that the traffic is starting to back up a lot further back - almost as far back as the start of the Lucan exit...

That said, I have the eazypass tag and I think it is great that they have extended the right-most lane. But also in the past few days, I have noticed that people (who dont have eazypass) are beginning to realise that they can zoom up the lane and then try and squeeze back in... its driving me nuts! All they have to do is sign up for it.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

They should bollard off the eazy pass lane so that once you commit to going into it, you can't get back out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Has anyone been through the e-toll lane on the M1?

It is now kind of barrierless. It is a bit hard to explain but here goes. As to enter the e-toll lane you have a path straight through, about halfway up it there is a barier but it is open. To the left of it there is another lane, it has a barrier which is closed. In the open lane there is a sign which tells you to use the other lane if the barrier closes, presumably in this case the barrier in the left lane opens.

Here is what I assume happens. As you enter the e-toll lane it detect quite early whether or not you have eazypass. If you do the barrier remains open and you can pass right through. If it does not detect eazypass the barrier closes and you then have to go to the other lane where you will, presumably meet a human who will take money off you.

It seems to work quite well. No one seems to use the e-toll lane unless they have eazypass but I think that even if they did it would not cause much of a delay for eazypass users due to the 2 lane thing.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Then when the idiots realise at the last minute, they hold everyone up. Happens a lot.
    My problem with the new system is that when I come off the lucan exit, going northbound, I cant get over to the eazypass lane, because there is a continous white line, and loads of bollards, so im basically forced into the lefthand truck lanes, unless i zoom across 3 lanes, with traffic speeding down them.
    Whoever designed the new system is a grade A moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Kersh wrote:
    Then when the idiots realise at the last minute, they hold everyone up.

It is not a case of them realising at the last minute. They know very well what they ae doing. If they do not realise it is an eazypass only lane then they should nto be on the road. It is not as if NTR are trying to keep it secret, there are plenty of signs and plenty of warning.

I have to admit it is a bit unfair for those joining at Lucan but given the location of the toll whatever they do will be a compromise and will not suit everyone. Yes it is a hassle for eazypass customers joining from Lucan but it seems to be pretty good for eazypass customers coming from further south and I would guess they would be in the majority.

Needless to say I disagreed strongly on the grade A moron comment. If think they have made the best of what they have to work with.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Kersh wrote:
    Then when the idiots realise at the last minute, they hold everyone up. Happens a lot.

HAPPENED a lot. On the OLD layout. Which was semi-understandable, since the fast lane just BECAME the EasyPass lane. This is no longer the case. You have to go out of your way to exit the fast lane, on to the CLEARLY MARKED EazyPass only lane! Anyone who does that, without having an eazy pass deserves to have to pull into the NTR car park on the median and explain themselves and pay up cash before being allowed through on that lane. If there were bollards, people would not go into that lane in a ridiculous attempt to save a few minutes and buck back into the other lane.
    My problem with the new system is that when I come off the lucan exit, going northbound, I cant get over to the eazypass lane, because there is a continous white line, and loads of bollards, so im basically forced into the lefthand truck lanes, unless i zoom across 3 lanes, with traffic speeding down them.
    Whoever designed the new system is a grade A moron.

Well it gives the advantage to those already on the road, and allows traffic to continue to flow smoothly without people crossing lanes from the junction. What they should do is probably put another EazyPass Only lane on the very far left of the toll plaza for people coming on from Lucan Road.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

See the announcement about the realignment from 3 weeks ago.
    Improvements' Benefits:
    These layout changes will reduce the amount of lane changing and weaving between the N4 traffic and the M50 mainline traffic.

Traffic weaving has been shown to greatly reduce traffic flow and its reduction will significantly improve the traffic flow on the bridge, both for mainline M50 traffic and the N4 traffic. N4 traffic will benefit from having a dedicated lane across the bridge.

Reduced lane changing will also result in a safer driving environment at the toll plaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Well it gives the advantage to those already on the road, and allows traffic to continue to flow smoothly without people crossing lanes from the junction. What they should do is probably put another EazyPass Only lane on the very far left of the toll plaza for people coming on from Lucan Road.

Well, have you seen what it does to the inbound traffic on the N4.... madness.
    It does be backed up nearly all day.
    Was backed up to beyond Deadmans Inn at 220pm today... Cos we are forced to keep left all the way to the toll booth.
    Its called EAZYPASS - where is the advantage if \i have to queue, and they take a credit card surcharge- for my convenience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement