Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Rebuild

Options
  • 21-04-2006 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

I have a 97 1.4 golf thats just hit the 121 thousand mark and is peeing oil from a camshaft seal.

What is it likely to cost to go for a complete engine rebuild as changeing the car for a is not an option.

Yep i know it depends on how much work the engine needs but a ballpark figure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

NutJob wrote:
    I have a 97 1.4 golf thats just hit the 121 thousand mark and is peeing oil from a camshaft seal.

What is it likely to cost to go for a complete engine rebuild as changeing the car for a is not an option.

Yep i know it depends on how much work the engine needs but a ballpark figure

If it's only a camshaft seal then you could just get a top end overhaul, or even just fit a reconditioned or low mileage top end. I don't know how much this would cost, but would guess at around €800. You'd have a new cambelt for this money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Anan1 wrote:
    If it's only a camshaft seal then you could just get a top end overhaul, or even just fit a reconditioned or low mileage top end. I don't know how much this would cost, but would guess at around €800. You'd have a new cambelt for this money too.

Has this done - don't think its too big a job. Had to get this done on my car - seal was leaking after got valves replaces (long story - garage messed up putting timing belt on). Don't know how much it cost as the work was under guarentee, but the sorted it within a day so it musn't have been too big a job. But you certainly don't need a rebuild

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

NutJob wrote:

figure
    IMO I wouldn't fix what isn't broken. At 120k your probably due a second cam belt change - so just get the seal replaced while the cam belt is being removed. That'd be the cheapest solution.

If you do want to rebuild the engine you might look at pricing a replacement engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Thanks for the advice much appreciated

I got a price on an engine for an 8v m3 golf is £395.00 stg + boat + vat

Price on a rebuild 1400 + vat + trip to Mayo

Doesnt take much to figure out its worth the trip to england at that price for the head alone

Depending on my mechanics quote for seals and timeingbelt is due next service so ill be getting a quote tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

If the engine is gone (which I doubt) it will make more sense to put in a s/h one and hope for the best with a car of that age. A proper rebuild will have to cost around the 2k mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

If the engien is running OK overall. Just change the belt and oil seal, with the covers and belt off, removing the other bits is 30 min work. Seal is $5.
    The seals at the other end of the cam cover, if you have any, are simple.

Sheet, my one item is peeing (1pt/week) and I have no intention of rebuilding anything.

Advertisement