Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which filling type?

• 21-04-2006 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has come up before, but I couldn't see anything similar.

I'm getting a filling next week in a back tooth and as I haven't had one before I'm just wondering what type is best. I want to get a white one as it will be less noticeable, and my dentist has assured me that this will be just as long lasting as an amalgam filling however, several friends have told me (from their own experience) that a composite filling will probably need to be replaced much sooner.

Any care to share their experience/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Kolodny wrote:
    Apologies if this has come up before, but I couldn't see anything similar.

I'm getting a filling next week in a back tooth and as I haven't had one before I'm just wondering what type is best. I want to get a white one as it will be less noticeable, and my dentist has assured me that this will be just as long lasting as an amalgam filling however, several friends have told me (from their own experience) that a composite filling will probably need to be replaced much sooner.

Any care to share their experience/advice?

I've got an amalgam filling that's lasted 15 years and still going strong. On back teeth it doesn't matter as nobody can see it but I'm sure the white filling looks better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Thanks.

Well, purely out of vanity I went for the composite filling in the end and I have to say, I'm very pleased with it - can't tell it's there. I'll be having regualr check ups anyway so hopefully any problems with it will be spotted early on. The dentist said a lot of people are now having their metals fillings replaced to look nicer, so I suppose it can't be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 clodo

I am getting fillings replaced with the white composite and I have got say I have never been happier to get them. The difference they make is amazing. I say you were right to go with them. When you have a good dentist who takes the time to do them properly then you cant go wrong. They are well worth the extra money.

Advertisement