Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any MH103 Students?

• 21-04-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in 6th year and I've applied for this course. I've done the exam and just this morning I got a letter telling me I have my interview on the 3rd of May.
    Now, my reason for starting this thread. For those of you who have done the interview and gotten on to this course, can you give me any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Might be hard for people to remember their course code. I think that's BA Music is it?

If so, just go in and tell them everything you've done with music, compositions, what you play, anything musical you've been involved in, and bring all your grade certificates. They may not ask for them but if you have a little portfolio with them in it and anything else you have to show, they'll be happy. Though when I did the interview they didn't test you on anything, I think tey ask you stuff like what's this interval etc in the interview. Maybe you should ring Marie Breen the secretary of the dept and ask them what you need to bring and know.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭budthedub

Hey, yes MH 103 is now the Bachelor ot Music, I graduated from it last year. In the interview, you will be interviewed by either Prof Gillen or a member of the academic staff. As Fridge said there, they will ask you about your musical background, what you have achieved, what instrument(s) you play, how long you're playing them etc. Also mention you're instrumental teacher's name / where you study that instrument. When I did my interview in 2001, I was tested on intervals, like sing, for example, a perfect 5th or major 6th, but I don't know if that will come up this year! It is an amazing department, I loved every minute of it. If you are successful and pursue the degree there, you will have a fantastic time.

Best of Luck

bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

I did this interview also...

Only advice I'd offer is to have your answers prepared! Like I knew I always wanted to study music, but when someone actually asked me beforehand "why do you want to study music?" I was stuck for words! So just maybe think about questions like that before you head in!

Don't worry you'll be grand, the questions are very general! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Cool, I don't have an instrument teacher I'm self taught but I'm told I'm good ;)

Sing intervals? Should be do-able. Will just require practise, they'll just be standard intervals right? No diminished 7ths etc.?

Thanks for all your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭ya-what-now?

Oh god yeah, just normal intervals! I think I got a perfect 5th or something...nothing to get worried about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement