Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Factor into sum of terms

• 21-04-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help...I need the following factored into a sum of terms
    untitled4al1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

anybody....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Is that a function of a complex variable or a real variable?
    I'm presuming the former.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Son Goku wrote:
    Is that a function of a complex variable or a real variable?
    I'm presuming the former.
    Not a 100% either way....I've included the whole question below. All I know is that I need the denominator as a sum of terms so that I can apply partial fractions to it. Thanks for your help
    untitled1lq.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Ah yes inverse Z transforms are quite tricky at first but their grand once you get a feel for them. Just remember that Z^-1 is bacially the delay operator. For example, if you have a sequence like so: h(n)=...0, 0, 0, 1, 5, -3, 2, 0, 0,...
    Now the sequence isn't completly defined yet as we don't know where it starts. Let the 0 index start at the first "1" so we have:

h(0)=1
    h(1)=5
    h(2)=-3
    h(3)=2
    h(4)=0
    h(n>4)=0
    and also h(n<0)=0

So the Z transform of this sequence is then H(Z)=1+5*(Z^-1)-3*(Z^-2)+2*(Z^-3). So we can see if we get any Z transform into this form it'll be very easy to solve.

You have Z^-2/(1-0.9*Z^-1). The way I'd solve this would be to perform long division of the denominator into the numberator like so:

So dividing this we get the quotient as: Z^-2+0.9*Z^-3+(0.9)^2*Z^-4+...etc. We can easily get the Inverse Transform of this as per above...Probably best you finish it off yourself, you learn more that way (and I've a big lunch waiting for me :D).

Let me know if you want me to clarify anything above...

Advertisement