Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backup software Q's

• 21-04-2006 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Maybe there is a piece of software that does this.....

I have a server partitoned as follows:

C: OS (10Gb)
    F: Backups (80GB)
    Z: Network (9Gb)

To keep things simple, I have kept the network drive to the size of a dual-layer DVD. The office if happy with this, they are using much less than this now.

Currently to backup, they logoff ther workstation machines (all three of them LOL), burn the network partition contents to a DVD, and store offsite. Handy enough.

Now, what I want to do is shedule a daily incremental backup to the "Backup" partition. Of course I can do this with MSBackup, but I want it to delete the older backups in the "media" file when it approches 80Gb in size.

The reason I want to do this is that their "My documents" folder is mapped to the network share. The advantage is easy backup, disadvantage is that there is no recycle bin. So if they accidently delete a file and it's not on the last full DVD backup, its data recovery time!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

With the My Documents thingy..

We used to have it like that, then we used Roaming Profiles for the simple reason is that when people logged off at night, the profile would be copied back to the network and could be backed up easily.

Also meant that they could use their recycle bin. One of the problems we found is people accidently deleting stuff and then complaining that it wasnt in the recycle bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Roaming profiles are ideal of course. But they require a domain controller. I could use either linux or windows, windows being much more expensive, but the setup cost alone for a very small office is not worth it for them.

I explained the Recycle Bin situation to them before the setup and they were happy enough with it. Even still, I want to have a plan b.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I agree.. 3 users and a PDC would be nuts.. Unless you want to use PAM and Linux to make a pseudo PDC (now I have only seen this in my college environment many moons ago)

Maybe for plan B -- lunch time scheduled task is it copied all files from myDocs to a folder on the server and at log off ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Maybe for plan B -- lunch time scheduled task is it copied all files from myDocs to a folder on the server and at log off ..

Could do that. I'd rather write a batch file they can run tho, as they can have irregular lunchtimes.

Im comfortable setting up a SAMBA PDC, but they are happy with the new config and dont want to shell out the extra money to have one setup.

They also colloborate on most projects, which is why the data is centrally located.

Advertisement