Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people..sterotyped???

Options
  • 21-04-2006 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone out there!
    I’m currently doing a mini thesis on how Irish people are stereotyped through the American media in relation to mainstream cinema.
    I really want to see what everyone thinks about the way Irish characters are portrayed in America cinema. For example Irish people usually seem to be drunks, priests, IRA members or leprechauns.
    Does anybody feel that this sort of image damages a countries reputation? Or do you see no harm in these stereotypes?
    I'd really appreciate any comments you have to help me with this project!
    Thanks a million again!
    Roisin :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

I watched an episode of the Simpons yesterday where Bart became a Catholic. There was fighting irish priests and student smacking irish nuns and a scene where "catholic heaven" was full of irishmen fighting and jigging to River Dance.
    I thought it was hilarious and was not in the least offended.
    I don't think it damages our reputation since most people don't think we fighting drunkards and most people know how to spot a stereotype.

I think Irish people by their very nature find these things funny rather than offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

yeah id agree with the above. Most people just laugh it off and to be fair if you were an American and you're impression of Irish people was from the visiting J1 people you couldn't help but think the stereotypes were true.

One thing that does annoy me a bit is in films or whatever where the Irish person in it has a haphazard mix of accents-northern, kerry, dublin all mixed into one:rolleyes: Id imagine someone from texas sounds different to someone from newyork-though that might be my own stereotype having never met anyone from either place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

well, they probably cant help it as the irish have in some ways been ingrained in american society, being immersed with them for ages, immigrants and all.. but thats the way it is really.. i dont think theyre that offensive to the point of racism or something..but you do have to admit, there is stereotyping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

camz09 wrote: »
    well, they probably cant help it as the irish have in some ways been ingrained in american society, being immersed with them for ages, immigrants and all.. but thats the way it is really.. i dont think theyre that offensive to the point of racism or something..but you do have to admit, there is stereotyping.

You do know this thread is over a year and a half old? It is considered bad etiquette to dig up old threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

oh well sorry about that.

have to apologize twice actually

seeing i have replied a year later. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement