Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting?

Options
  • 21-04-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just have a few questions:

Using myspace.com as an example, how much would it cost to host a site that can allow its users to set up their own url (myspace.com/joebloggs ) which could store pod casts and picture and profile (CV Style) information, as well as having access to a mailbox they would enable them to send and receive mail from both internal and external users?

I have already registered the domain names so I am querying hosting costs only.

Also, how much bandwidth would be needed?

Which hosting companies would you suggest and why?

(complete novice here btw)

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

The problem will be the bandwidth. Any kind of mass mp3/avi/etc downloading is ridiculously bandwidth hungry.

For large bandwidth, choose a US host. You can get about 2000 GB bandwidth a month (on a nice large dedicated server) for about $100 or so.

How much bandwidth is needed? Depends on how large the files are and how many people download them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

DOLEMAN wrote:
    The problem will be the bandwidth. Any kind of mass mp3/avi/etc downloading is ridiculously bandwidth hungry.

For large bandwidth, choose a US host. You can get about 2000 GB bandwidth a month (on a nice large dedicated server) for about $100 or so.

How much bandwidth is needed? Depends on how large the files are and how many people download them.

I can't honestly say how much bandwidth will be needed yet. I would like to give each site member a one page profile, and also 4 mins of podcasting space
    ideally I will have 100+members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

stop fecking advertising - last warning - one more time - you are banned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Or try an Irish host, where you can get 10Mbps unmetered (about 3000GB per month) for € 59.95 ;)

Hey Steve, what does that actually mean? like what will 3000BG per month allow me to do and I presume it's €60 per month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

grrr, you are really starting to cheese me off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I'm interested in this too. Want to set up a website that would need to push pictures to thethe website. Given that these picture are uploaded by users they could be huge. Is there a way that i could automatically resize them to a better compression ratio on the webserver.
    Also i would need .net and SQL server capabilities?
    What package would be best do you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

JimmySmith wrote:
    I'm interested in this too. Want to set up a website that would need to push pictures to thethe website.

If I understand correctly you want an image hosting script? There are loads of these. Search on Google/HotScripts or pay someone to do it on www.scriptlance.com

Have a look at the second website in my signature and let me know if something like that would work.
    JimmySmith wrote:
    Given that these picture are uploaded by users they could be huge. Is there a way that i could automatically resize them to a better compression ratio on the webserver.

The simpliest way to handle this is to limit the file size. Eg. 150k per image.
    JimmySmith wrote:
    Also i would need .net and SQL server capabilities?
    What package would be best do you think.

You specifically want windows hosting or are you just wondering what technology you'll need?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

JimmySmith wrote:
    Given that these picture are uploaded by users they could be huge. Is there a way that i could automatically resize them to a better compression ratio on the webserver.

php can automatically resize images using the GD library

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There seem to be two people looking for two very different things, so maybe the moderator could split the thread

connundrum - it sounds like you need some kind of portal system.. You would need to sit down and work out exactly how much space etc., you would give each user and how you would fund it all. Work out the specifics and then contact developers and/or hosting companies to get pricing etc.,
    Giving away free email can lead to all sorts of abuse, so you need to also think about which geographical areas you want to limit it to

Advertisement