Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reporting posts and Trolling

• 21-04-2006 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

As in the charter and general Boards.ie usage there is a little icon beside every post, if you feel the post is against the charter report it.

If you troll someone into abusing you in an effort to get them banned, you will also be banned.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054846039

The charter can be found there but the important part is Boards.ie does not allow users to abuse each other in any way this is spread accross all forums not just Soccer, if someone disagrees with your opinion they are not a ******** , if they support a different team they are still not a ********. If you dont like a player he is not a ********.

Its that simple.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

have to say this section (and boards in general) is probably the best run forum i've ever been on. not only are idiotic comments removed, but they usually don't arise in the first place (the occassional pool vs united thread aside). other places are out of control....even with moderator presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Sorry Im abit confused, what's a ********??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

I can understand the need for respect for our fellow posters but I can't call Robben a **********?! Man, that's rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Big Nelly wrote:

Use your imagination.

Ardent wrote:
    I can understand the need for respect for our fellow posters but I can't call Robben a **********?! Man, that's rough.

Nope im sure there are other forums where you could.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

can we abuse our own teams ? :) i.e. can i cut into blackburn for being crap ? :)

Noting of course that i am a blackburn supporter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Nelly wrote:

You are.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

The Muppet wrote:
    You are.;)
    is the new rule stating when you've reported a post? ie. REPORTED^

(sorry just using you as an example mup)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Can't see how people are getting confused, the mods don't read every post on every thread, so rely on people reporting any post thats out of place.

Simple really

blu_sonic wrote:
    is the new rule stating when you've reported a post? ie. REPORTED^

(sorry just using you as an example mup)

N.P. Still Here:D

On the new rule , how will it be determined when someone is trolling. I mean one mans troll is another mans opinion, especially on a forum like soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can I ask is there any sort of rule against saying somebody is trolling or should be banned, and if not, would you be willing to put one in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

if you report someone who shouldn't be or troll someone into a flame you get banned too

blu_sonic wrote:
    troll someone into a flame you get banned too

How would that be determined. There have beeen numerous posts here in the past that have provoked reaction from other posters. In some cases it would be very difficult to determine whether a poster is trolling or is posting honestly held views that are just unpopular , Threads on Roy Keane spring to mind.

The thinking behind the rule change is to be welcomed as recently we have seen an increase of instances of users being trolled to provoke reaction but I fear it is a difficult rule to implement in some instances without mods leaving themselves open to even more allegations of favourtism etc.

Its not a new rule, its still the same. 50% of the reported posts are from people who provoked someone into abusing them and then tried to get the person banned by reporting the post. Fair enough you disagree with someones opinion but goading them into getting banned is just childish.

A i love roy keane
    B roy keane is a *******
    A your a ********
    B reports post.

A + B = Banned.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Its not a new rule, its still the same. 50% of the reported posts are from people who provoked someone into abusing them and then tried to get the person banned by reporting the post. Fair enough you disagree with someones opinion but goading them into getting banned is just childish.

A i love roy keane
    B roy keane is a *******
    A your a ********
    B reports post.

A + B = Banned.

kdjac

Thats pretty straigh forward and easy to act on. Unfortunately not all instances of trolling are so blatent and easy to act on, It's those instances that I fear will lead to more hassle for the mods but as i said in my previous post the idea is a welcomed one.

Its easy when the reported posts function is used by the users.

Boards.ie has simple rules that everyone knows, Soccer is a place were the line gets very thin, but generally its the best forum on the site. Most of the users here like it that way, so keeping it that is beneficial for all.

Nothing worse than making a big long reply to someone only to find by the time you hit post reply they have been banned.

kdjac

So it only comes into effect if the troller reports a response to his troll.

Very good.

I still believe you are going to have a lot of whinging from the Troller when he/she gets banned . The more I think of it the more I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish people would stop reporting posts which happen to contain an opinion about a manager or player.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I wish people would stop reporting posts which happen to contain an opinion about a manager or player.

Mike.

Fair enough an opinion is an opinion and thus their own but really do they need to resort to childish name calling?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Do we include WWM who posted on a thread, think it was a Celtic one, trying to rise people thne when it happened he asked for the person to be banned. Can research if you want?

Not saying Im an angel but something to take into consideration:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Can I ask is there any sort of rule against saying somebody is trolling or should be banned, and if not, would you be willing to put one in.

Just asking again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Who you trying to get banned now PHB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think Mike65 (jokingly) said someone should be banned in the liverpool rumors thread.

I think there should be a rule that if you report so many posts in a certain time period you should be banned yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

well if u were in the pub watching liverpool v united and a liverpool fan said fergie was a *insert bannable word here* , would you call him a troll and report his comment to the barman to get him banned?

a little common sence in the soccer forum and less handbags might work

el rabitos wrote:

a little common sence in the soccer forum and less handbags might work

We can only wish.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

PHB wrote:

i think thats a good idea. it would enourage people to either use the report button or ignore the comment and get on with the thread as lately alot of threads seem to go the direction of "you can't say that about x in this thread," "yes i can its you and y is the problem" and this leads to people assuming a holier than thou attitude throughout the thread.

it reminds of me of players trying to get other players booked over nothing. *imitates give him a card jesture*

leave the moderating to the moderators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Big Nelly wrote:
    Do we include WWM who posted on a thread, think it was a Celtic one, trying to rise people thne when it happened he asked for the person to be banned. Can research if you want?

Not saying Im an angel but something to take into consideration:D

Agree with this. And your exact example in fact.

Advertisement