Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Going Diesel....

Options
  • 21-04-2006 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I'm going to change my car in 3 months time been looking around at what Diesel cars are on offer:

Here's my base line,

Max to spend 17,000 E
    400-450 miles per week.

Don't mind what car make, either VW ( not a golf), Audi, Toyota (not Avensis) , Skoda.

Was looking at the 1.4 d4d Corolla Strata. But expensive ~20k second hand.
    But will save on insurance and Tax. But will lack power. But kown the MPG ???

Skoda Octavia 110hp 2004/3 = 17000. But very hard to get one with low milage and poor resale value. MPG ??

Skoda Sub 130hp 2003/2 = 17000. same as the above. MPG ??

VW passet 130hp 2002 = 17000. But very hard to get one with low milage. MPG ??

Audi, don't know yet. commets please .......

I orginally was all for the Corolla opition. Insurance and Tax would stay the same as on the car I have now.

But would be loosing power 120 Hp down to 90hp(?).

The others will all cost me around 550 E extra per year between Tax and insurance. But will Keep the power i'm used of.

Major considerations.

1. Resale value.
    2. MPG
    3. Power

Thank TC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Go with VW/Audi/ Skoda 1.9tdi.Great engine for power and economy.I have the 100bhp and fill it for €60 odd (60 litre tank)a nd get on average 650 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

From the Octavia 1.9Tdi you'll get 550 miles from a tank at 50 euro a tankful. Approx 53mpg - pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This may be useful to get an idea of what's out there. Carzone Search of all diesel cars between €1 and €17000 (the €1 gets rid of all the P.O.A. adverts).

I was in the same boat as you, and ended up going for a BMW 320D yesterday, though it probably isn't the best value for money diesel out there.

There is a nice looking diesel Seat for sale in the FS:Motors forum too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Bought a UK import about 2 weeks ago. Cost me a few quid but price can be seen on link below. Its the 130hp model and its a dream to move. I had the 90Bhp model before hand and you wouldnt believe the power difference. I would never go for less than the 130Bhp again.

Also your doing alot of driving like myself, is it motor way or city? the onboard computer in town says Im doing about 20-40Mpg and using cruise control on motor way will go from 55-65Mpg which is very good

Also the UK import have alot more extra as you can see from my car, compare it with an irish one and you are lucky to have front electric windows and maybe alloys

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=363095

I agree with Big Nelly on the UK cars.I bought a 2004 Audi A4 100bhp for €25,500 all in including VRT.I purchased from a main dealer with full service history and all motor way driving.The cars are better kept than their Irish equivalents and you get more extras.Its worth thinking about.Now that the new passat is on the market you'd pick up a fairly fresh old model cheap!Go for the 130bhp though...

Have a look at the sticky on this board about importing.Its well worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Topcat101

Big Nelly wrote:
    Bought a UK import about 2 weeks ago. Cost me a few quid but price can be seen on link below. Its the 130hp model and its a dream to move. I had the 90Bhp model before hand and you wouldnt believe the power difference. I would never go for less than the 130Bhp again.

Also your doing alot of driving like myself, is it motor way or city? the onboard computer in town says Im doing about 20-40Mpg and using cruise control on motor way will go from 55-65Mpg which is very good

Also the UK import have alot more extra as you can see from my car, compare it with an irish one and you are lucky to have front electric windows and maybe alloys

Mostly motorway, ennis to limerick daily.

Was in a local deailer in Ennis last friday his has a 04 passet 130hp 6-speed, coming in 6 week time as a trade in. 19k with 50k on the clock. Might go with that if all's above board.....

Topcat101 wrote:
    Mostly motorway, ennis to limerick daily.

Was in a local deailer in Ennis last friday his has a 04 passet 130hp 6-speed, coming in 6 week time as a trade in. 19k with 50k on the clock. Might go with that if all's above board.....

Is it the sports model? if so I would get it, lovely car. A friend of mine bought a 02 6-speed sports model a few weeks before I bought mine and he loves it.

you should get a low mileage Skoda for under 17K euros

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index...it=Find+%3E%3E

top of the range Laurin & Klement skoda is worth a look.

Do you own a Skoda?

I laugh when on every thread someone posts about a Skoda, does everyone on here that posts about them own one or is it just you seen someone else post about the price of them and thought you would look good if you posted on the next thread you see?

The Skoda is nothing compared to a highling/comfortline/sportsline Passat, compare them to the baseline Passat in most situations. Yes they are made by VW but I can assure you they keep the best stuff for the Passat. The Passat is twice the car and holds it value great, I lost 500 quid on my 00 Passat for the year I drove it and put over 20k on the clock.

Also, and I know will get the usual blah blah on here, I wouldnt be seen dead in a Skoda. Just my personal preference but I still hate the look of a Skoda badge on a car. Maybe the Skoda name will be better in a few years but for the minute I will stick with my VW badge:D

Good price for that Passat.Normal milleage for a 2 year old diesel.Check that it has full service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Big Nelly wrote:
    I wouldnt be seen dead in a Skoda. Just my personal preference but I still hate the look of a Skoda badge on a car. Maybe the Skoda name will be better in a few years but for the minute I will stick with my VW badge:D

I do believe the Skoda name is already quite good. A few years ago was a different story.

• Advertisement

Drax wrote:
    I do believe the Skoda name is already quite good. A few years ago was a different story.

Maybe in some circles but anyone I know wouldnt be seen dead in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Big Nelly wrote:
    Do you own a Skoda?

I laugh when on every thread someone posts about a Skoda, does everyone on here that posts about them own one or is it just you seen someone else post about the price of them and thought you would look good if you posted on the next thread you see?

The Skoda is nothing compared to a highling/comfortline/sportsline Passat, compare them to the baseline Passat in most situations. Yes they are made by VW but I can assure you they keep the best stuff for the Passat. The Passat is twice the car and holds it value great, I lost 500 quid on my 00 Passat for the year I drove it and put over 20k on the clock.

Also, and I know will get the usual blah blah on here, I wouldnt be seen dead in a Skoda. Just my personal preference but I still hate the look of a Skoda badge on a car. Maybe the Skoda name will be better in a few years but for the minute I will stick with my VW badge:D

Big Nelly,
    No I don’t own a skoda, but I have and still do consider it as a viable good quality car, I was merely pointing out that you will get a newer low mileage Octavia for the same price as an older low mileage Passat in general for below 17k euros.

Link to passats for sale:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&MakeID=32&xMakeID=32&ColourID=&xColourID=&ModelID=283&xModelID=283&Doors=&BodyID=&Engine_Min=&Year_Min=&Engine_Max=1900&Year_Max=&Price_Min=1&Price_Min_integer=Minimum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&CountyID=&xCountyID=&Price_Max=18000&Price_Max_integer=Maximum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&BusinessID=&xBusinessID=&IsPrivateSale=&FuelID=2&SortBy=MakeAsc&MaxRows=100&InsertPeriod=&ResultFormat=&submit=Find+%3E%3E

Link to Octavia for sale:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&MakeID=28&xMakeID=28&ColourID=&xColourID=&ModelID=248&xModelID=248&Doors=&BodyID=&Engine_Min=1800&Year_Min=&Engine_Max=1900&Year_Max=&Price_Min=1&Price_Min_integer=Minimum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&CountyID=&xCountyID=&Price_Max=18000&Price_Max_integer=Maximum+price+entered+was+not+an+integer.&BusinessID=&xBusinessID=&IsPrivateSale=&FuelID=2&SortBy=MakeAsc&MaxRows=100&InsertPeriod=&ResultFormat=&submit=Find+%3E%3E

Regarding quality have a look at this and tell me how many VW’s are in the top 10
    Compared to Skodas:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/survey/top_10.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Big Nelly wrote:
    Maybe in some circles but anyone I know wouldnt be seen dead in it.

That is just a very subjective opinion based on a flying arrow rather than a VW filling a circle in the middle of the grille.

Moanin wrote:
    Good price for that Passat.Normal milleage for a 2 year old diesel.Check that it has full service history.

One ower bought it from the same garage, they have full service history for it so they say anyway.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Is it the sports model? if so I would get it, lovely car. A friend of mine bought a 02 6-speed sports model a few weeks before I bought mine and he loves it.

Do you own a Skoda?

Not sure of the model, must be comfortline.

Insteresting replies so far kind of confrimed what I thought....

Skoda no resale value compared to the rest.

Audi do they have a 130hp 1.9TDI model ?

No one back on the corolla D4D....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Topcat,
    Yes, Audi do have a 1.9tdi 130bhp. Check carzone/cbg, there should be quite a few.
    Have one myself.
    Drove from Portlaoise to Galway(through Birr and Portumna) on the backroads last Sunday and had an average mpg of 48. So that was good.
    JC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Big Nelly wrote:
    I wouldnt be seen dead in a Skoda. Just my personal preference but I still hate the look of a Skoda badge on a car. Maybe the Skoda name will be better in a few years but for the minute I will stick with my VW badge:D

Yes, because the VW badge is the epitome of everything in motoring!
    :rolleyes:

prospect wrote:
    Yes, because the VW badge is the epitome of everything in motoring!
    :rolleyes:

Well the resale value is great on a VW, Skoda its nothing. Also I am talking about a VW in regards to the Skoda. Your the one mentioned everything in motoring
    Regarding quality have a look at this and tell me how many VW’s are in the top 10
    Compared to Skodas:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/survey/top_10.shtml

When talking about all the cars in this bracket TopGear said the Passat and some other car would be the only one they would buy themselves.

ot sure of the model, must be comfortline.

Insteresting replies so far kind of confrimed what I thought....

Skoda no resale value compared to the rest.

Audi do they have a 130hp 1.9TDI model ?

No one back on the corolla D4D....

Yeah no re-sale value on Skoda and limited market as well. The VW will sell alot quicker and dealer snap up second hand ones as a trade in no problem with a good price.

Check if comfortline. Also what extras are included. If not that many then look at a UK import. Plenty of garages bringing them in if you dont want to yourself

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well the resale value is great on a VW, Skoda its nothing.

Trade-in price on all cars is shocking, especially if you've bought from new.
    Take the 3 series, supposed to be the least deprecating car,
    A new 320d m sport is 54k new that car will be worth at a guess 25K in 4 years time! (A loss of 29K deprecation)
    A new skoda tdi will cost 30K for the 140bhp one and in 4 years I’d guess it will be worth around 13K.(a loss of 17K deprecation)
    Big Nelly wrote:
    When talking about all the cars in this bracket TopGear said the Passat and some other car would be the only one they would buy themselves..

Were does it say that?

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Were does it say that?

Well if you are quoting top gear I guess you watch it? well they said it in one episode and had a board and all up with all the cars in that range. They are replaying all the epsiodes on TV at the moment, it was on last week

• Advertisement

Ok I’ll watch with interest next time its on, which will be very soon on UKTVGold2!

Anyway, were going off topic here a bit:

If I was in Topcats situation with 17K to spend, I would be looking at the tried and tested 1.9 TDI engine in the A4/A6/passat/Octavia and even Seat. Its pretty much a bullet proof engine.

Your not going to get a BMW 320d for that money (maybe a 136bhp 99/00 model with high mileage)

The Audi will probably be too old (b5 model) for 17K or with high mileage.

The passat will be 2002/3 model with low to average mileage

The skoda will be 2005 model with low mileage.

Not too sure about the seat but do a search if you want.

The corolla diesel, don’t know enough about it to comment.

Friend has a Seat and its like a base line Passat inside. Same engine more or less. Isnt VW doing the Seats as well as the Skoda?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Big Nelly wrote:

Do you own a Skoda?

you one of those??????????????
    scoda parts are sed in passat which are over priced

you one of those??????????????
    scoda parts are sed in passat which are over priced

One of whats?

Think you will find its parts from the Passat that are put into the Skoda. What is a scoda? :p

Passat hold there value

Big Nelly wrote:
    One of whats?

Think you will find its parts from the Passat that are put into the Skoda. What is a scoda? :p

Passat hold there value
    have friends that work at vw dealership and they use skoda and seat parts in vw as they make more out of the service
    as far as get more for vw,only paying for the name,any dealer would tell you that,old news

Big Nelly wrote:
    One of whats?

Passat hold there value
    one of those that are small ,when talking about a badge,

JackieChan wrote:
    Topcat,
    Yes, Audi do have a 1.9tdi 130bhp. Check carzone/cbg, there should be quite a few.
    Have one myself.
    Drove from Portlaoise to Galway(through Birr and Portumna) on the backroads last Sunday and had an average mpg of 48. So that was good.
    JC

Audi too expensive for my blood, 25K for 2003 model !

Think VW is my best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Topcat101 wrote:
    Think VW is my best bet.

So you get to look forward to that 1000 euro timing belt change every 60k miles...

You either want power or you want mpg, a 1.4 diesel will do much better mpg, and still be driveable. Relatively speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Big Nelly wrote:

I see you got yours from VK motors. Thats where I got my car also, and it was a UK import also. I always find their prices are great for cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

have friends that work at vw dealership and they use skoda and seat parts in vw as they make more out of the service
    as far as get more for vw,only paying for the name,any dealer would tell you that,old news

You do know that they aren't different parts for the VW and Skoda, they cost the dealers the same amount.

And I'm speaking first hand instead of a friend who works in a garage. I used to work in a large Dublin VW/Audi dealer. The boxes have the VW, Audi and Skoda badges on them. Some also had the Seat but not all.

Advertisement