Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving in India

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I remember after I got back from there a couple of years ago I was driving like I was still over there. On the hard shoulder passing cars out through petrol stations, running red lights. Took a week to wear off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

:eek: Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Crazy stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

That junction is exactly how I remember it.
    Chaos works.

If they obeyed the rules of the road in the way we do they'd have the gridlock we have here.

When I was in Bangalore in February it was quicker to get from my Hotel to my place of work than it takes me to get from my Apartment to work here in Dublin even though the distances are roughly the same. It took roughly half the time in India. Our driver had a sixth sense for cars that were around him. There was no lane discipline but he and everyone else just knew where all the cars were on either side of them and to their rear.
    A European wouldn't possess the skillset necessary to drive in India and an Indian driving in Europe would cause accidents as everyone else would expect them to know our rules of the road and act accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

fletch wrote:
    :eek: Scary

It's much worse at night when half the vehicles do not have lights. It makes for a real white knuckle ride in a rick shaw. (or as a pedestrian trying to cross the street).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

beene there ,done tat but not in india.its the same sort of traffic in pakistan:D .its fun

and because of this kind of driving thats why every 5 mins you see an accident

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was told that car insurance applies to the car and not the driver.

I was told that car insurance applies to the car and not the driver.

what insurance , not many people have insurance over there,it best tip is donot car about others as they dont care about you.so just drve as you want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Was in Kolkata (calcutta) a few years back and the driving experience really stands out. Most cars did not have wing mirrors and drivers basically just kept beeping their horns as they drove around like mad men, but as said before the system works.
    There is even one road, outside the Kolkata automobile club strangely enough, that at five in the evening changes from being a one way street in one direction to being a one way street in the other direction.
    I have promised myself that I will go back if only to see the poor sucker who gets caught in the middle of all the oncoming traffic, obviously enough no harm will come of it but still,

Lovely place though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I was just waiting for a couple of cows to join in.:D

• Advertisement

junkyard wrote:
    I was just waiting for a couple of cows to join in.:D

really theres lots of that over there.loads of donkey carts and horses.its a REALLY different driving experience from irish roads. and you need to pay for mondello trackdays as its free over there:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah let's call it redundancy. Should 100,000,000.00 people die on the roads in India in a year, the population will still be growing. Some bloke called Darwin had something to say about this kinda thing, did he?

Advertisement