Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchanged At Last

Options
  • 21-04-2006 6:00pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After 10 and a half weeks, and the most baffling amount of ridiculous delays I have just exchanged on my dream house:) in north London. I don't know why a straight-forward sale has taken so long, but along the way our solicitor lost our file for three weeks, the mortgage company forgot to ask us for a proof of our address from two years ago, which at the last minute they realised they need and which proved really hard to find. And then our solicitor lost our signed contracts.

But at last the contracts have been exchanged and we move in May 18th. I've been so tense last week as another, almost identical, house 3 streets away in very similar condition went under offer for £25k over ours, through the same agent. And I've been waiting for the call telling us we were being gazumped.

Though I have to say the agents we were dealing with were very honest and straight-forward. We ended up in a sealed bid situation against two other couples. When I gave the agent our bid he told me he hoped we would win, then he grinned and said that as we were on his books not the other two and if we didn't win he wouldn't get a commision. I can't imagine that level of honesty from any agent in Ireland. It really puts me off ever going back home as I don't know if I could bear to go through the never-ending back and forth bidding that goes on there.

Advertisement