Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best BB for Parents

• 21-04-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

Ok parents have their pc ordered now want to get them BB
    They only will use it for Internet & email no gaming or downloading that much

They wont be using it that much and I was going to get them to
    go with Utv and Clicksilver lite and maybe get utv talk details below

Free calls to uk would suit them

Presently using Dial up. Phone is with Eircom & they are pensioners so no line rental

Anyone got any other advise for BB for Low users

Also is there a program that can monitor total time user spends on net per month?
    The utv has a 20 hour limit so can this be timed over a month ?

Ta

Utv

€9.99 for the first 3 months then €14.99 for each month after, based on a 1MB/20 Hours per month Cap connection. 6GB usage also applies. This offer is available to first time subscribers who sign up before 30th June 2006.
    CONNECTION SPEED 1MB Up to 20 times faster than Dial Up
    CAP 20 Hours/ 6GB N/A FOR UNLIMITED OPTION
    CONNECTION €29.99 Set Up Fee includes Modem and Post & Packaging
    CONTENTION RATIO 48:1
    €9.99 for the first 3 months then €14.99 for each month there after.
    Ideal for low usage dial up customers
    Faster surfing speeds great for downloading, email and webpages

erlicio have the below

20 Hours of high speed broadband internet access for only €9.99 per month Only 4c per minute if you go over 20 hours in a month Check your usage on-line Use phone & Internet simultaneously Free use of modem Up to 20 times faster than a standard dial-up connection (Up to 1Mb) Connection charge of €49.99 Easy to install Includes savings of 91% on your telephone calls
    So a €60 set up charge for this but you have to switch phones to them
    The cost of this is €29.99 so less the rental charge then its going to be €6 a month
    and free calls to land lines

So Utv looks just as good to this

Eircom

Experience eircom broadband time for as little as €19.99 (inc VAT) per month* for 20 hours of Internet access anytime.
    If you're an Internet user and currently use dial-up for a few hours a week, eircom now has the broadband product for you.It's called eircom broadband time and gives you broadband speeds that will transform your time online for just €19.99 (inc VAT) per month*.
    FREE self-install connection when ordered online before June 30th, 2006.
    · Monthly subscription €19.99 (inc. VAT).
    · 20 hours of Internet access. Speeds of up to 1MB downstream / 128k upstream.
    · 20 times faster than standard dial-up Internet.
    · 2 months FREE eircom broadband guardian.
    Modem
    FREE Standard Netopia pocket / combi-modem with all orders, normally: €49.99 (inc VAT)
    *This offer is available to first time subscribers who order online before June 30th, 2006. There is no connection charge for self-install online orders. eircom broadband time gives you 20 hours of broadband access per month. After which an excess usage charge of 4c per minute applies up to a maximum of €30 (inc. VAT) per month. You can surf for FREE thereafter. Monthly rental: 19.99 (including VAT

Still Utv looks better

Also checked out with Imagine and Cinergi and again Utv is still coming out tops

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hi Irishgunner, depending on thier age, they may be able to get free line rental and free broadband. I know that teh government provide it for free for elderly so might be worth while looking into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

tried looking at the oasis government website and could see nothing

I know they can get free line rental but never heard of free bb

Utv are looking like the best option to them taking in their phone service also

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Steer clear of timed bb and go for an always on package if you can. It will break their hearts (and yours aswell).
    I have setup timed bb for alot of people similar to you're parents who wouldn't be heavy users and most of them have changed to always on and others just don't bother with it anymore. Here's why.
    They start the computer, open the modems log in page and click connect. Then open outlook express to check for emails. Everything's grand. Then they want to send and email so they type it up and click send but nothing happens and they get a server error. This is because the modem has automatically disconnected due to inactivity on the line but they think it's broken.
    To send the email they have to go back into the modem page, reconnect and then send it.
    Similarly when surfing, they go to answer the phone or put on the kettle, come back and click on a link and get "page cannot be displayed". Then go through the restart connection thing again.
    Now to you and I this is basic stuff but to people who are not as computer literate and don't really know how all this works, it's a pain in the ass.
    Just something to keep in mind.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

ESAT/BT will throw in the DSFA phone allowance as well when someone in receipt of it gets their phone/broadband bundle package. So you could get your folks the 1mb/128kb 10gb cap package, cost; €35 less line rental allowance=€11/month approx (incl VAT). They also give €5/month free national fixed line calls. None of this seems to be mentioned on their site but it was in the signup package I got. I can't comment on their billing as I am still waiting on bill number one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishpaddy

curiosity wrote:
    ESAT/BT will throw in the DSFA phone allowance as well when someone in receipt of it gets their phone/broadband bundle package. So you could get your folks the 1mb/128kb 10gb cap package, cost; €35 less line rental allowance=€11/month approx (incl VAT). They also give €5/month free national fixed line calls. None of this seems to be mentioned on their site but it was in the signup package I got. I can't comment on their billing as I am still waiting on bill number one.

Any more details on this anyone? I feel like BT is stiffing me at the mo, Ishouldn't be paying any line rental but am still paying 35 per month.

Ta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its €35 for unlimited land calls and 2mbits if the social pay line rental

me oul dear has 1mbit + unlimited land calls for €25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

irishpaddy wrote:
    Any more details on this anyone? I feel like BT is stiffing me at the mo, Ishouldn't be paying any line rental but am still paying 35 per month.

Ta.
    Go to the BT Support site. Search for DSFA.
    Question

How do I apply for telephone allowance?
    Answer

If you have never received the allowance before:

Contact your local social welfare office. Ask them to provide you with a letter proving you are eligible for the allowance.

Send or email this letter to BT’s customer care team

Once our care team receive this letter they will update your account to include the telephone allowance. The allowance will then be visible on your next bill.

If you have received the allowance with another line provider:

If you have a bill from this line provider which includes the allowance please send this to our customer care team. If you do not have a previous bill, contact your previous provider and ask for a copy of the bill showing the allowance on it.

Send or email this bill to our customer care team,

Once our care team receive this bill they will update your account to include the telephone allowance. The allowance will then be visible on your next bill.

Advertisement