Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Snap-On Tools

Options
  • 21-04-2006 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

In work snap on comes every friday got a few things off him

-ratchet
    -telescopic magnet
    -screwdriver set

came to 301E

does any body know where to get snap quality tools/panel hammers/ dollies at cheaper prices. the vat alone cost 50E, i've bought halfords tools before most them break, or with my ratchet i bought works when it wants to, :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I didn't know how expensive they were. I have a massive collection lying idle including all the knuckle joint ones, ratchets, long sockets and flexyjoint thingies.
    I must to a list and stick them on the FS column.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

The ratchet was a good buy, the rest was suspect.

Buy a good ratchet and you'll be happier for it. Sockets less so, I find cheapie ones do the job just as well as the good un's but I replace the ones that break with good ones as needed.

The rest of the stuff you can get relatively cheaply from any motor-factors, or even B&Q, Woodies, Atlantic or the like - especially screwdrivers. Quality matters less with these.

Good spanners are a must too, but you can supplement a good "basic" set with cheapie ones covering the odd sizes that you use less regularly.

I tend to pick up most of my tools at the local car boot sale! :p

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Was the screwdriver set the ratchet type? I've had a Snap-On ratchet screw driver for 15 years and it still works like new! Some of the Snap On stuff is over priced. The magnet you bought is probably one of those over priced items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

one thing you could try is get your employer to put the tools through his books as he can claim the vat back and it ends up costing you less. its really only worth your while buying special tools from snap-on and get standard tools elsewhere. Facom tools are as good as snap-on and are usually cheaper. when buying sockets its far better to buy impact sockets as they are much tougher than standard ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>-telescopic magnet

you mean the extendable aerial thing with a magnet that folds down the the size of a biro? I get those in the poundshop for EUR 2.60 how much does your snapon charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

IMO if your a mechanic you need good tools that are reliable and will last a long time. If your a DIY dude then go for the cheaper stuff. Snap-On has a lifetime guarantee that they honour. However, some Snap-On stuff is ridiculously overpriced but in general their stuff is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Snap On stuff is expensive, but most mechanics will buy them through their employer and get the VAT back. If you buy your tools in bulk (€2000 +) then you can make big savings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

"Snap-On" make great tools, no doubt, but expensive. Think MB or BMW of tools.

I have received great value and no breakages from "Mack", "Brittool", "SK", "TrueCraft", "CraftsMan" and "Husky".

And if I'm buying a tool to heat, bend, grind, weld, carve and cut into a "Murphy Special", I use a "Craftsman", perfectly priced for a 1 time use.

SK make great Black Oxide tools great for when hammer yielding is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

vector- 8E Blue Point branded

yea, i'll defo try some other tool comapanys, whats the general view on Tengtools, they're the other company who comes to us on a monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Teng are pretty good (lifetime guarantee as well)

Another make to keep an eye out for would be King Tony.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AMurphy wrote:
    "Snap-On" make great tools, Think MB or BMW of tools.

Only difference is the Snap on stuff doesn't break all the time!

Advertisement