Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm visting a 4th class in primary school to talk about engineering

• 21-04-2006 7:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Hey. I'm visiting a fourth class in primary school on Thursday to talk about engineering. I have to be there for about two and a half hours, an hour of which will be taken up with an activity. Has anyone any advice on how to keep 10/11 year old children entertained - and teach them about engineering? I can tell them stuff about my job - but I also want to be able to tell them about the different types of engineering.
    I'm thinking of bringing my laptop and projector and doing a presentation. Has anyone done anything like this before? I haven't. I'm looking for ideas on ways to get the children involved, small activities, cool questions to ask, openers . . . any ideas at all is really really appreciated.
    Thanks so much, Cary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Haven't any help I'm afraid. Are you doing this as part of the STEPS programme? Thought about it myself, but chickened out because I figured I'd be where you are now!

I'd like to know how you got ton though, good luck;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

I have done experiments for Science day at the primary school my children attend. What I found to work best (recommended by one of the teachers) was to take small groups for about 20mins each. I covered 4 classes in a morning session. The kids really liked action. All the experiments that I did came from an internet trawl.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What kind of engineering is it?

As part of the STEPS programe they gave out K'nex stuff and the people who did the lectures or talks used to get the kids to build stuff then explained why they stood up or what ever.

Havent done it before but I think on the STEPS website it had this up there at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

one thing we did as a team building HR excercise once would work.

Divide the class into groups.
    Give each group two tables a set distance apart
    100 sheets of A4 paper
    One roll of sticky tape
    and one stapler.

They have to bridge the distance between the two tables using just what you've given them.
    The team that builds the bridge that will hold the most weight will be the winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Borzoi wrote:
    Haven't any help I'm afraid. Are you doing this as part of the STEPS programme? Thought about it myself, but chickened out because I figured I'd be where you are now!

I'd like to know how you got ton though, good luck;)

Yeah, it is the K'nex thing. I'm a bit worried about it, because as I've said, I'm not used to talking infront of a classroom at all. However I've done a bit of work on it the last few days with the guy I'm doing it with. We've started getting a simple presentation together.

Bandraoi - I really like your idea of using a teambuilding exercise like that. I've done things like that before, but never realised I could actually use them for the kids! I think this would be a good idea to break the ice.
    kearnsr wrote:
    What kind of engineering is it?
    So, it's the K'nex thing, so it's not really a specific type of engineering. I the presentation part, I was going to do a few slides on what is eng/history(very very brief)/types of eng - say a sentence or two about mech, chem, elec etc, and then go into a bit of detail about the job I do. There are certain aspects of the job I think I can make interesting for children.

Anyway I can let you guys know how I get on, so if anyone out there is doing something like this, at least I can give advice.....if even on how I messed up..... :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Caryatnid wrote:

So, it's the K'nex thing, so it's not really a specific type of engineering.

If its the K'nex thing then its more geared to structural and mechanical engineering.

If it was me that was doing it I'd do the this
    bandraoi wrote:
    Divide the class into groups.
    Give each group two tables a set distance apart
    100 sheets of A4 paper
    One roll of sticky tape
    and one stapler.

but use the K'nex stuff as I'm a civil/structural engineer.

If I was a mechanical engineer I'd get them to build something with moving parts.

If I was an electronic engineer I'd get them to build something that can be powered by a battery that can move.

When I was in college we had to build a train (mechanical) that went over a bridge (structural) while timed (electrical). You may be able to develop something similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

kearnsr wrote:
    If I was an electronic engineer I'd get them to build something that can be powered by a battery that can move.

Anyone remember Dilbert's boss at career day:
    "When you grow up you'll be put in a container called a cubicle. The bleak oppressiveness will warp your spine and destroy your capacity to feel joy. Luckily you'll have a boss like me to motivate you with something called fear."

Outside I'm laughing, but on the inside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Anything with bridges, robots or trains = WIN

Anything with centering radiowaves, computers, microchips = LOSE

(I've an Telecomms Engineering degree (and coincidentally the attention span of an 11year old) so I know what I'm talking about. )

Advertisement