Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Real Target man.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Anyone out there clarify:

What is the hard-hold shooting referred to in the article ?

What are the differences to be considered when shooting off a bipod compared to other rests (sandbag etc) ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

he's talkin about holding the rifle hard against his sholder and pushing the gun forward on the bipod to lock the legs as opposed to letting the gun sit in the bags and shoot it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Is this "hard" approach mainly suited to large calibre shooting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

17HMR wrote:
    Is this "hard" approach mainly suited to large calibre shooting ?

I'd say it could just as easily be used on a rimfire, but i think it is better suited to calibres with heavy recoil, I really must get a book on this topic

Can anyone recommend some good ones

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

I'd suggest Sinclair's www.sinclairintl.com or Precision Shooting's www.precisionshooting.com books sections as a place to start.

Off topic, but PS's reprint of Leech's Creedmoor book sounds nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dbar

A lot of the top Benchrest shooters use the free recoil technique off sandbags i.e. there is no shoulder or cheek contact with the rifle. If the rifle is set up correctly it will recoil in the same manner everytime, keeping a consistent point of impact.
    The theory is that another potential source of error is removed from the equation such as breathing, heartbeat, etc.
    Potentially, It can be applied to any calibre, but takes a lot of practice. It really can only be applied to benchrest shooting.

By hard shoulder, he is referring to our "normal" type shooting, i.e. rifle held securely in shoulder with good cheek weld.

The results that guy is getting off a bipod (.2moa) is comparible to the results that you would see with Benchrest shooting, using a lot more expensive equipment, thats why they find his method so interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

the key thing i find is consistancy whatever works for you as long as you can repeat it and you get the desired results on my rimfire when using rest just on the front i dont put any pressure on with my shoulder just so they're touching and because theres so little recoil it works fine today i shot 3 bullets into one hole at 50yards

Advertisement