Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foreign car clampdown?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

a further problem is some of these EU-10 cars have registration plates without the country name, AFAIK they are then supposed to have an oval sticker with the country name (rememeber those things?! GB, IRL etc.)

some of the plates I've seen have been had silver text on a black background, just like Ireland had in one of the pre-europlate days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I'd imagine that gardai aren't interested, if they call to the house they might get a "me no speak english", "he doesn't live here anymore" the reality on the ground is that migrants are very mobile, and sharp.

I'd further imagine that the gardai find it much easier to pursue UK people who have UK registered cars, which will likely be newere witha higher OMSP, doing this likely keeps the Revenue Comms happy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sparky-s wrote:
    I once seen a latvian merc involved in an accident on the roads, the guards were there at the time, and from what I could see there was no display of tax or insurance on the windscreen.
    That doesn't mean a thing. If his car was LV registered, he might well not have these since, believe it or not, not every country in Europe believes in festooning the windscreen with 'discs' of all sorts. He may well have had tax and insurance from Latvia, and only just arrived here, in which case he was perfectly OK. In order for him to have an Irish tax and insurance 'disc', he would have first had to imprt the car and put it onto Irish plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Torak

Anan1 wrote:
    Not even Michael Mc Dowell would be that stupid.

LMAO ;-)

Advertisement