Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocklayer/Brikkie question

Options
  • 21-04-2006 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi,

Attached is a photo of the front of my house.

From the photo, you may be able to see the wire mesh, as I have yet to face the blockwork with cladding of some sort.

My question however is.. look at the outer blockwork .. in particular the top half of the door and the top half of the window. Why has the blocklayer left these unfinished? Why did he not build it flush with the inner blockwork.. Rather than jump in and fix it I'm thinking he had a reason for doing it, as he had to cut some of the blocks where a full block would have fit perfectly. Anyone tell me was there a reason why he did this?

Thx
    jayooo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

jayo99 wrote:
    My question however is.. look at the outer blockwork .. in particular the top half of the door and the top half of the window. Why has the blocklayer left these unfinished? Why did he not build it flush with the inner blockwork.. Rather than jump in and fix it I'm thinking he had a reason for doing it, as he had to cut some of the blocks where a full block would have fit perfectly. Anyone tell me was there a reason why he did this?

Would it be for little glass panes up both sides of the door? I have seen it done but the space looks a little small from the photo. Either that or some other type of reason ! Possibly a Shortcut on his behalf :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭trishh

What I see wrong with the front of your house is there is no damp course at the top of your window or door ! That's very important. Also, that window opening doesn't look right unless you intend to have some stone/cladding in those broken out places onto the side (as such) of those blocks. Jmo !

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

emm its not for little windows anyways as they're not on the plans and anyway he has only left the outer blocks short of being flush.. He would have to have left both layers short in order to let light thru to the house...

Damp course?? Is that the black plastic which runs between the inner blockwork at the insulation?

Also if the stone work as the wrap into the inner block wouldnt it be the full length of the window ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I would be concerned about the bearing at the head on the top left, it looks like only a few inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

Looks to be untrained eye that he has left grounds for smaller block pieces to close the cavity, you know, like a return block. JMO

Rusty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Jayo,

You may have to brace the heads (lintels) and take the blocks down and re-build the front, on a good day the blocks should still have the joints broken and as Pataman pointed out the lintels should have minimum 9" bearing on the blockwork.

Hard to read the man's mind but he may have been allowing for the stone finish to wrap around the reveals at the front door and window, it might be a good idea to ask him before you change anything.

Of course the DPC or cavity closer should be in place, maybe he is depending on the finished stone work to act as as the bearing wall.

Advertisement