Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Sonata 2.0 CRDI 130bhp

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    It makes me wonder though how someone can shell out almost €40k on a new car yet choose a 1.6 because it is that bit cheaper to run

Beyond me too as for another €2k one can buy the 318i (2 liter). Probaly mainly the badge and / or company car price limit
    bazz26 wrote:
    the basic 1 Series costs €29k :eek: and that doesn't include air con or even electric rear windows as standard

Seems very expensive, but then again, the cheapest 1.6FSI 5-door Golf costs €25k and doesn't have those goodies either. The cheapest 5-door A3 with that engine (no aircon) costs a shocking €30k :eek:
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Bazz, the 316 is 1.9 litre

No, Bazz is right. The 316i is recently added and it has a 1.6l engine

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    Bazz, the 316 is 1.9 litre

The latest model 316i is a 1.6 (the same 1.6 found in the 1 Series), it's only on sale in a few EU countries like Ireland where engine size is crippled by taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

no way! that sucks, why would you pay so much for a 1.6 saloon thats Focus sized?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

unkel wrote:
    According to who? ;)

[MY OPINION]:

Excluding the badge snobbery by Bleach Blonde, Fake Tan, D4, Bimbos there is not 1 reason why a BMW "should" be far more expensive than an equivalent Honda (or many other marques also)?

I am talking like with like, same size car, same engine, same equipment levels.

The way I see it is:
    The Honda is more reliable, despite some peoples opinions.
    The Honda is cheaper.
    I think the Honda is better looking, especially over the new breed of BMW. (Civic excluded)
    Hondas hold their value very well, like BMWs do.

Some people say the BMW is a better car to drive. Well I have driven a few BMWs in my time, and I have to say that I feel they are massively overrated. And even if they are better, it is only very marginally, and not worth the huge price difference.

I wish people would let go of this perception that BMW are the ultimate car. Sure, they are fine cars, but not what the badge snobs, price list would have you believe. Personally I think anyone who buys a BMW, new, is just trying to prove some point to others or themselves that they are wealthy, or better or whatever.

[/MY OPINION]

only big engined BMW's are fun to drive, otherwise they're just average

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

prospect wrote:
    The way I see it is:
    The Honda is more reliable, despite some peoples opinions.
    The Honda is cheaper.
    I think the Honda is better looking, especially over the new breed of BMW. (Civic excluded)
    Hondas hold their value very well, like BMWs do.

But then, is a Honda overpriced in comparison to a Toyota?

The Avensis is a victim of its own sucess. nobody wants to spend 40 grand on a 2.4 Sol that looks like a 1.6 Strata with 17 Alloys. It lacks exclusivity.

Was driving one today, there was one in front of and behind me, and I met one coming up the road, that won't happen in an Accord.

If the Accord was available in 1.6, nobody would buy the 2.0

I would also like to add, to those who haven't been in or driven an Accord, that it is a nice car, but a lot of the interior components such as the window switches are unmistakingly Honda parts bin specials. It doesn't quite have the premium feel of some German stuff, despite what most copy-cat articles will have you believe. lots of blanking panels where buttons might be complete the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

maidhc wrote:
    But then, is a Honda overpriced in comparison to a Toyota?

Probably,

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of honda. But it makes me smile when people talk about "premium" brands like BMW & Merc that have absoloutly no reason to be a premium brand, they should be referred to "Fashion Brands"

MTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I'm def gonna change my old (ish) Laguna for something decent secondhand. I was looking at the Passat 1.9TD 130Bhp Baseline but the 2002/3 models are still a bit pricey. Took one for a spin recently and they do pack a punch alright (have to take it handy from now on with all the speed cameras being installed) but I thought the interior let it down, very bland and basic just like the BMW 318 (1999 model) I looked at earlier, it seems you really have to go up in the range to get the extras and better interiors.

Lately I've been taking a bit of notice of the Hyundai range and in particular the Sonata 2.0 GLSi, the "Executive Saloon" no less (ahem.....excuse me!!).

I've looked at these in carzone.ie and couldn't believe the interiors, leather seats, Alloys, Metallic Paint, leather seats, Electric Windows, Central Locking, leather seats, Remote Central Locking, Immobiliser, leather seats, Drivers Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Multiple Air Bags, leather seats, CD Player, Radio-Cassette, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Rear Head Rests oh and did I mention leather seats, stuff that you'd have to pay more yo yos for in any of the aforementioned vehicles and all for what is a relatively low price. This one is the 2002 model and checks in at just under 11Gs and with 70k (miles) on the clock it seems not a bad buy on the face of it. In fairness it does sound an awful lot better than what you get from the traditional European brands for the same price.

Now I appreciate they depreciate badly but that doesn't concern me cause I'm not buying a brand new Sonata. I have yet to take one for a drive so the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Re Hyundai

Can some please explain why we only get a 3 year warranty in Ireland but the Brits get a five year warranty . Did they drop it in Ireland.

And are Hyundai cooking their sales by any chance , I very much enjoyed overtaking 8 trucks all loaded with the new sante fe ( which I like ) however they are all registered with number plates 06 D 79000 etc and similar county numbers.

Are they artifically making it the number one suv in Ireland by doing this . Anyone bought one that wasnt registered.

I would defo now consider a Hyundai at the minute as a second hand option especially as you say the new Sonata and Sante Fe in 3 years time . Its a pity they didnt keep the 5 year warranty as that would really be a deal clincher in a few years time.

I thing residuals would rise if a longer warranty was in Ireland. Also whats the story with Kia , there owned by Hyundai and they are looking at getting a 6 year warranty.

What price are those Kia Ceed going to be at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I got a spin in the new Sonata diesel a few weeks ago (only as a passenger though).
    From a passenger viewpoint, its a very impressive car comfort wise. The only quibble I would have was the non-integrated audio unit, whuch looked out of place compared to the rest of the interior. Build quality looked good too.

This would be an excellent purchase as a used 2 year old car, when it will probably have lost at least half of its initial purchase price.

There is a definite fixation towards "premium brands" in this country. As Bazz rightly pointed out, people happily shell out loads for the badge, and then do with the base spec model with the entry level engine.
    Imo, it makes far more sense to buy a lightly used "non-premium brand", which will be cheaper, most likely better appointed, and just as reliable as the more sought after brands. Enjoy the car, enjoy the extra's, have a nice holiday with what you saved, and forget about the badge on the bonnet.

However, if you really want to buy new, then everthing I've just said goes out the window.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tvr wrote:
    Re Hyundai

Can some please explain why we only get a 3 year warranty in Ireland but the Brits get a five year warranty . Did they drop it in Ireland.

And are Hyundai cooking their sales by any chance , I very much enjoyed overtaking 8 trucks all loaded with the new sante fe ( which I like ) however they are all registered with number plates 06 D 79000 etc and similar county numbers.

Are they artifically making it the number one suv in Ireland by doing this . Anyone bought one that wasnt registered.

I would defo now consider a Hyundai at the minute as a second hand option especially as you say the new Sonata and Sante Fe in 3 years time . Its a pity they didnt keep the 5 year warranty as that would really be a deal clincher in a few years time.

I thing residuals would rise if a longer warranty was in Ireland. Also whats the story with Kia , there owned by Hyundai and they are looking at getting a 6 year warranty.

What price are those Kia Ceed going to be at?

Fiat offer 4 years warranty on most of their cars and it hasn't improved their resale value.

Hyundai and others offer better warranties in the UK because it is a bigger more aggressive market than the Irish market. The Irish market is relatively small but Hyundai are still an established brand here. The UK market however is alot bigger and their share percentage is still very small indeed so they like Kia are still trying to crack it, in order to do this they must try and offer the UK consumer something that the main stream manufacturers don't. Kia are looking at offering a 7 year warranty in the UK afaik. In the US Hyundai and a few others have been offering 10 year warranties for a number of years to my knowledge.

Regarding the amount of Santa Fe 4x4s being registered and transported on trucks, well they are one of the most popular 4x4s with rental companies so what you probably seen was a fleet of them being returned as their lease has ended. It is very common this time of year as the tourist season is over. You will see transporters full of Ford Focus and VW Golfs, etc also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

[OT]
    Honda's Accord sales increased 25% across Europe in 2003 and 2004 as a result of the new Accord. Someone is buying them.

Yes, Honda are pushing the prices upwards, but then again, you do get a decent amount of kit for the price. Take the top of the range 2.4 litre, executive it'll cost about €42k. Now spec a BMW 325 (or similar) to the same level - you are then heading north of €60k. This is the market they are after.

VRT screws things up here - remember it's based on the market value of the car. Not the actual base cost!

[/OT]

Apologies to the OP.

These Santa Fe's are most likely hire drives.

these are also likely to be the new comercial model. lots of dealers are getting Hyundai Ireland demos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Well speaking about Hyundai's, I got myself a 2001 XG in July and simply love the thing. Haven't anything to it yet bar get a new stereo but mechanically, its sound and miles ahead the Scorpio I had previously. The engine is silky smooth as is the auto transmission which is also tiptronic. It has every gadget I could ask for (except rear parking sensors which I miss) and the 2.5l V6 engine from the Galant is amazing. I admit the Sonata is a lovely car, especially the latest model but for a truly luxury car with rock solid reliability and an amazing price, you cant go wrong. I got mine from a dealership with an asking price of under 7k - and that was before trade-in!!!! There are not many about which makes them even nicer to see on the road. In fact, when in work today on the first floor, one of my collegue was looking out the window, saw my car below and said, "I wonder who owns that Lexus". Enough said. But yeah, I reckon you cant go wrong with a Sonata. But be brave and take the plunge for the posher bigger version of the Sonata with VERY unique looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

highdef , a scorpio and a lg , they have got to be the ugliest car in the world . Youre making me sick just thinking about it , its ok for you as your inside them but come on thing of the children........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

TVR, yeah I know the Scorpio is not to everyone's taste which is why I had a rare end of line facelifted model that was a lot more subtle and way WAY nicer than the regular Scorpio's. I think the XG is a fabulous looking car. It's black, tinted windows, lots of chrome. It is quite like the outgoing Sonata, esp from the rear. And it get's mistaken for being a Lexus a bit and even a Lincoln (WTF???) - But taste is a personal thing and its cool if you dont like them. But even if I wasn't mad about the external looks, the inside would rival an S-Class and I didn't have 1 problem with the Scoripo in over 2 years of ownership and the XG will hopefully be the same too

67-XG04.jpg

gorgeous alright

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well, on the whole Skoda/Passat/VW comparo, let me say this:

I covered 10k in a 130bhp Tiptronic Highline Passat last year, and 12k this year in a VW Golf Plus with DSG, and one thing I can tell you, VW's are as mean as sh!te when it comes to equipment. The Passat was very well equipped, but it'd want to be for €39k. The Golf had nothing - and I mean nothing - for €31k. No elec windows in rear, no aircon of any kind, cloth seats, plastic steering wheel, no 'toys'.....it was also the most uncomfortable car I've ever been in, seat-wise......

The Passat was not light on juice - about 38mpg, whilst the Golf did about 44mpg. And you would not want a Passat after 3 years - the 6-link suspension usually goes kaputt around 60k, and full rebuild is around 1k.

No, I've been there, done that. Including a pair of TT's (3 x recalls, and too many electrical problems), and I'm cured of the whole German car thing, I can tell you. I test drove a new shape 320d recently, and whilst it looked lovely, and inside it's a million miles better than the 1985-look of the outgoing model, it rides like a cart. Kidney bashing is the only word that comes to mind. The older model drives better, but snag is, they're EVERYWHERE !! So much for exclusivity !

And they're not infallible. Front bottom links go AWOL around 60k, regularly. My friend's 320d Touring ate it's computer, and cost 1k to fix. Then his wife's 525td Touring started the flashing dash light syndrome..........it's now for sale.....lovely to drive though.

No, me, I'm heading to the Orient for my next fix, that's for definate. And I really, like the new Santa Fe. The Accord too, but the 2.2 diesel is way out of touch for this market - it needs to be 1.9 or less to sell, as the VRT is killing it. It also looks incredibly.........boring. So better save for some wheels too, but at least it'll never stop.

So, who wants to buy an 01 E-Class, then - not mentioned here yet, but oozes class, and unlike 02 -on-models (Kia-look ! ;) ), then gimme a PM. You'd be surprised what you'd get for Eur 22k...........:)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

oh, nearly forgot - the Skoda thing.

Personally, I think they're good value for money, and the current one is nicely finished inside. A colleague just go one, and for €31k he got a Skoda Octavia Estate with all the toys, bar leather. Including DSG (which, btw, is even better than they say it is...)

It drives very well, and whilst the rear looks a bit ho-hum, it has good seats (hello, VW, you're sibling is out-performing you here...........), and it goes on fumes.........so, for the money, it's hard to beat.

And I see they've now brought out a vRS Diesel. With the DSG box, that'd be some tool..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote:
    No, I've been there, done that. Including a pair of TT's

you can't beat a nice pair of TT's

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    you can't beat a nice pair of TT's

ROFL :D

Advertisement