Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting PC from XP down to Win2000

• 21-04-2006 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

I'm in a slight jam

Trying to convert the PC from XP to Win2000.

Heres what I did [and yes I can guess already it was the wrong thing!]
    Booted in DOS using DRDOS (found on net)
    Removed the partitions
    Rebooted with DRDOS
    Formated C: drive
    Added back partitions

Tried to start PC using Win2000 boot disks (x4 floppies) and the following error keeps coming up after the last flopp loads)

0x0000007b ...(0xF2463848,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)... inaccessible_boot_device

The win2000 CD I have will not load directly.

So what I'm trying to do is start up the PC and install W2k. Don't care about the data on the drive.

Any suggested links, free programmes or solutions around to achieve this easily.

Cheers Lawdie

PC is
    AMD Athlon64 3200 (socket 754)
    MSi K8N Neo-FSR
    Geil PC3200 512meg ram
    Seagate 160gig SATA drive
    WD 40gig ide (OS Drive)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

why are you putting 2k on that monster, i would put xp on anything over 500mhz

your 2k cd must be damaged, some one correct me but i presume you can just borrow one if you have a liscence key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Sounds like the last boot floppy might be fecked, try to redo it (or it could potentially be the CD). I remember installing 2K from floppies to be a nightmare, the floppies always seemed to take two or three goes each :eek:

It could also be trying to install to your SATA drive (which it wouldn't have drivers for) - try removing the SATA for the installation to make sure it's trying to access the IDE. Alternatively, it could actually be the chipset driver that needs to be loaded, particularly if your motherboard supports IDE RAID.

For the record, I'd also go with XP, but I've found that people who have gotten the idea into their heads that they'd be better off with 2000 rarely change their minds :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Sico wrote:
    For the record, I'd also go with XP, but I've found that people who have gotten the idea into their heads that they'd be better off with 2000 rarely change their minds :rolleyes:

Actually I'm changing my mind or losing it. But I'm going to purchase XP for 64.

That should sort it out! thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Is the CD scratched? Have you got the 'Boot From CD' option selected in the BIOS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Your running a sata drive. Have you pressed F6 to install the sata drivers during the win setup?

Also is the bios picking up the drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

layke wrote:
    Your running a sata drive. Have you pressed F6 to install the sata drivers during the win setup?

Also is the bios picking up the drive?

Yep, tried that abd downloaded the right drivers too

I've purchased am OEM of win XP x64 and the PC is working fine now.

Now getting drivers for XP x64 is another problem!

Advertisement