Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shearers career comes to an end.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

BB Al.

Still remember where I was when I heard he moved from Blackburn for £15m.

May have been a tad unsavoury at times but the boy had the skill to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

great player,pitty he so under achieved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Couldn't stand him, but he was a damm good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Brief (~2mins) Sky Sports News tribute to his playing career:

http://rapidshare.de/files/18612571/VID0001_EDIT0000.AVI.html

More to follow no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

he always came across as a little bit dunce to me in his interviews, he has another 3 years left in football wise no bother and if he was fit would probably be in Svens squad for this World Cup. Seems like a waste ala Cantona tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That Geordie accent makes any sound dim! Great player and in a sense a total professional except one, he let his heart rule his head when he signed for Newcastle.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Just heard on SSNews that he won't be coming back this season, effectively drawing his career to an end.

I'm sure everyone (even a few United fans) can appreciate the guys genuine talent and wish him all the best in the future.

I've a feeling we'll see plenty of him on TV in years to come.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=381268&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=4163&title=Shearer's+season+and+career+over

How sad for such a great players career to come to such an end, I hope Newcastle will do something to give him a proper send off when he is fit, I would imagine the fans would want that.

(@op , was there a need for the dig at United fans?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

his goalscoring record at blackburn was unreal

twas great in a poor Newcastle side as well

Arguably the premierships greatest ever striker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A sad end to amazing career , it's gonna be hard for anyone to beat that Premiership goals record and impossible for someone to break his Newcastle goals record .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I have absolutely detested Shearer like a passion since I was a child but not even that can take away from the fact I acknowledge him the most feared and all round best striker in English football for well over the past decade. I still don't understand why he stayed at Newcastle for so long as he missed out on an opportunity to win more trophies on top of that seldom 1 in 1995. Should have and deserved to win more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Muppet wrote:
    (@op , was there a need for the dig at United fans?)

Wasn't even really a dig, just an acknowledgement that even people who have intensely disliked him over the years can appreciated the guys talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Especially since most United fans hate him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I have absolutely detested Shearer like a passion since I was a child but not even that can take away from the fact I acknowledge him the most feared and all round best striker in English football for well over the past decade. I still don't understand why he stayed at Newcastle for so long as he missed out on an opportunity to win more trophies on top of that seldom 1 in 1995. Should have and deserved to win more.

well first of all thats the thing about alan shearer, he wanted to live his dream of playing for his club. and he turned down man utd for that, and i say fair play to him!

Thanks for 10 great years al you absolute legend!

they put up a huge banner on the back of the gallowgate end in tribute to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

do ye think united were better off without him or what? would we have won maybe another champions league or 2 if he came say in 96? we would have won the 8 league titles without him anyway, but he could have made a difference in europe definately, deep down, he has to look back on his career and surely feel some bit of regret that he didnt play for united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thanks for a great couple of years at Blackburn and the not going to United Alan :)

You legend! :D

^^ ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well for some people its not all about trophys.... Im sure he is dissapointed that he hasn't won anything with Newcastle, but becomes Newcastle all time goal scorer and the premiership best goal scorer is a bigger achievment than lets say winning the league cup.....

read this article
    http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~819777,00.html

"My dream as a kid was to play for Newcastle United and score goals at St. James' Park," added Shearer, speaking to The Sun.

"It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and lived the dream.

"Unless you come from the area you wouldn't understand that mentality. Playing for the club is everything.

"I broke Jackie's record and no one can take that away from me. I've never had any regrets.

"I'm finished now and I have great memories. The fact I won't be able to play the last three games is disappointing but I'm not complaining. How could I?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

no tears shed here:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Talented yes, but also an odious player. Hated him.

And yes I support United... :p But seriously, he was a nasty piece of work with those flying elbows...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Less defenders with black eyes next year so.
    Good stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Fantastic player and there is no way that he under achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Can't believe so many people think its sad he didn't get more trophies. Trophies aren't everything, hes a legend in his home town and did what he always wanted to. Plus winning sunderland 4-1 was a nice way to finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I wonder will Keane turn up to his testimonial. :)

Shearer must have one of the biggest ego's in football and there is something about him I can't stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Ego? - Yes, he has an ego but everybody does. Shearer is the model professional and a typical striker. His all-round game is great and right from his debut he showed that he meant business. It is a great pity that every striker cannot follow the example of Alan Shearer. Many strikers nowadays are cheats and lack focus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think like many other non-newcastle fans, I had a certain dislike for Shearer's personality. No one can question his ability - and consistency for such a long period.

Now the only question is how he'll fair as a pundit.

I'm a non-Newcastle fan but love Alan Shearer. I am surprised that people dislike him - What are the reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Chucky wrote:
    I'm a non-Newcastle fan but love Alan Shearer. I am surprised that people dislike him - What are the reasons?

His annoying habit of elbowing his fellow professionals?

I only remember that happening once so it mustn't have happened too much. What incidences do you remember? ...and are you a Roy Keane fan for I have a great retort to your dislike of Shearer if you are.

PS - Choose your words carefully. If it was a habit then he would be doing it a huge amount of times which, of course, he does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I always liked him for some reason. Sorry to see his career end as it did, but no doubt the fans over there will let it be known how much they lvoe the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Chucky wrote:
    I only remember that happening once so it mustn't have happened too much. What incidences do you remember? ...and are you a Roy Keane fan for I have a great retort to your dislike of Shearer if you are.

PS - Choose your words carefully. If it was a habit then he would be doing it a huge amount of times which, of course, he does not.

Fan of Roy Keane? Where you get that idea from?

Lets see, Shearer on Fabio Cannavaro (Inter) in 2002.

His clash with Grimsby's Justin Whittle in the Carling Cup this year (he elbowed Whittle then had a whinge after the game when he got the same back.
    Alan Shearer, who had already enraged the Fulham fans in the Stevenage Road Stand for questioning a previous offside decision by the Assistant Referee, incurred further wrath when he caught Ian Pearce in the eye with an elbow on 10 minutes. The striker was given a talking to by referee Wiley.

Source

Newcastle's Mary Poppins escapes again

After an elbow on Everton's David Weir (and also lists other incidents, including his kick at Neil Lennon in 1998, and his elbow on Argentinian keeper Carlos Roa which led to Sol Campbell's "winning" goal being disallowed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

never liked him but ya gotta respect his record as a player! he should have moved on from Newcastle a few seasons ago to have a chance at winning trophies! a great career with only the premiership medal to show for it! he should/could have won more elsewhere!

Advertisement