Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BB On nic card but not on wireless.

• 22-04-2006 1:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have got 1Mbit Eircom BB at home today. It works fine using direction ethernet connection to my nic (192.168.1.2), subnet 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.0.254. But..wireless (192.168.1.3) won't work. It says connected when I view available networks (it open wep and accepted the eircom key when I connected).
    Basically I want plug out the ethernet cable and just use wireless. Anyone encountered this problem before. Its a 802.11g Wireless LAN PCI card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

when I disconnect the nic to use the wireless pci card - Nothing pings not even netopia 192.168.1.254 eircom page on dsl modem.

Any ideas? :confused: If I can get nic going why not the wireless. In the screenshot it shows the wireless connected to eircom - but can't ping it or the dsl modem!

C:\Documents and Settings\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : freedom
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g Wireless LAN PCI
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-85-8A-39
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
    rnet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-FC-B1-A0-11
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 159.134.237.6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

is there a reason you are specifying the IP Address ?

what happens when you set to DHCP

Also in your post your wrote a different subnet to what ipconfig was showing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Hi,

Ok, in your first post your settings are completely screwy. The Subnet Mask is wrong - you can't have 255.255.0.1 ! I'm assuming that you mean 255.255.255.0 (the usual mask), in which case you've got your PC and Gateway on different networks which won't work. I think the most likely case is that you've made a number of typos because of the late hour. That being the case, the settings that you've posted have no value and can be ignored. The second post contains excellent information.

Formatman's suggestion to use DHCP is a good one. The router will dish out the settings that you need. You should make use of it.

Do you have both network cards on and working at the same time? And then you're disconnecting one and expecting the other to jump in and take over?

If that's the case, that's not the way it works. And if you post the output of route print I think you'll find that the PC is set to route packets to the local network via the Realtek NIC. Pulling the cable out won't change that.

Edit : And to demonstrate that, do a route print with both network devices on and working. Disconnect the cable and repeat the route print. Notice any change? Nope, thought not.

What you could do is disable both network devices and then re-enable the Wireless device. That will probably do the trick.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

In your screen shot and ipconfig /all you have not got the dns server ip addresses in for the wireless connection but you do for the nic, btw it should be the ip of the default gateway and not the eircom servers as the gateway has those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

My sister came over with her swanky widescreen laptop and I tried to configure it for her and then realised I needed to use the 128-bit encryption key setup in netopia for wireless instead of the short key printed at the back of the eircom CD which did work for the wired nic. Got it working fine now. The subnet above was a typo. Thanks. Gawd! The whole family are booking flights and ordering tickets! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement