Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do people think less of a man with long hair

• 22-04-2006 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

just wondering cause , my friend told me that people will be saying "look at that ejit with the long hair tryin to be cool" im not insecure.......:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Depends...what age are you? And how long is it? Do you tie it up or wear it loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

loose 23, medium lenght , thinking about keepin growning it ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

hannable80 wrote:
    just wondering cause , my friend told me that people will be saying "look at that ejit with the long hair tryin to be cool" im not insecure.......:)

No, not really. I think your friend is just being a little paranoid, but seems to have good intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 gabriella

no long hair on guys is sexy as f*ck ;) keep it growing!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

Do you like it long?? If so, grow it, who cares what anyone else thinks! Its your hair.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

gabriella wrote:
    no long hair on guys is sexy as f*ck ;) keep it growing!!!!!!!
    :eek: ..What?!..
    Im afraid I have to totally disagree with you on that one!! I find it a real turn off tbh, no matter how good looking the guy is! I think it just looks stupid/disgusting..therefore i suppose i myt think less of a man with long hair..tho in saying that, the problem cud be sorted with a scissors i suppose..
    Examples:
    Here<-- if this guy had went an insey-bit-longer on the hair, it wud be ok-ish/acceptable to me..anything after that and no..
    Here<-- ew ew ew in my opinion! Like im sure there are plenty of girlies out there who lik this look on guys eg:Gabriella:) but just not me im afraid..

but basically i agree with fabcat:
    fabcat wrote:
    Do you like it long?? If so, grow it, who cares what anyone else thinks! Its your hair.
    indeed..each to their own and what not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Depends...what age are you? And how long is it? Do you tie it up or wear it loose?

I think age is a factor for having long hair - kids from 13-17 just cant pull it off, they dont have the facial hair to go with it(when needed) imo. Im 22, so i pass my age thingy. My last gf didnt want me with long hair, even tho i wanted it, i didnt grow it to keep her happy. When i broke up with her, i didnt have to impress anyone, so i grew it. Its just past my chin now, and i think its great! My new gf didnt really like it when it was eyebrown level to nose - after that she thought it was fkn great! If you wanna grow your hair, grow it, f*ck what anyone else thinks. Your hair should make you feel good, its not there to impress other people, but if it is, you can scrub up the same as with short hair, its just a matter of opinion.
    Fast_Mover wrote:
    :eek: ..What?!..
    Im afraid I have to totally disagree with you on that one!! I find it a real turn off tbh, no matter how good looking the guy is! I think it just looks stupid/disgusting..therefore i suppose i may think less of a man with long hair..tho in saying that, the problem cud be sorted with a scissors i suppose..

Im sure people with long hair could comment on your hair, so as you said - each to their own. Men with long hair imo, really depends on what scene you feel you catagorise yourself with. You need a self confidence which the chap in the first pic you posted just doesnt have - my 3 year old niece would walk over him. The chap in the second pic has the confidence, and it shows by his stance.

Basicly what everyone said - personal preference, but i also look at people with long hair as see if they can pull it off by they way they carry themselves. So i would think more of someone with long hair who carries themselves well, because its more work.

if you grow it, dont wear a beckham band if your hair only reaches your eyebrows. If its at your nose - ok, it will do. I saw that in college a couple of weeks back, the chap practically had a 2 blade with a fringe and a beckham band on - man i wanted to punch the chap for looking so stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 user11035

Long hair on guys is so sexy if they keep it in good condition! there is nothing worse than seeing a guy with lank long greasy hair ..eugh! By the way, you have to use conditioner if you want your hair to grow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I'm 17 and I'm growing my hair. If you don't care what others think go for it, just make sure to keep it clean.

red_ice wrote:
    My last gf didnt want me with long hair, even tho i wanted it, i didnt grow it to keep her happy. When i broke up with her, i didnt have to impress anyone, so i grew it. Its just past my chin now, and i think its great! My new gf didnt really like it when it was eyebrown level to nose - after that she thought it was fkn great! If you wanna grow your hair, grow it, f*ck what anyone else thinks. Your hair should make you feel good, its not there to impress other people.
    It was nice of you to respect your girlfriend and cut it in first place..like you are who you are after all and it hard to change/adapt to suit others.
    red_ice wrote:
    Im sure people with long hair could comment on your hair, so as you said - each to their own.
    i never said they couldn't comment on my hair..i was merely stating my opinion which i believe the OP was looking for, thus posting the afforementioned thread..
    red_ice wrote:
    really depends on what scene you feel you catagorise yourself with.
    Ya i agree with you on this one..
    red_ice wrote:
    You need a self confidence which the chap in the first pic you posted just doesnt have - my 3 year old niece would walk over him.
    The chap in the second pic has the confidence, and it shows by his stance.
    Guy in second photo..hmm..oh yes..he's leaning against a wall, texting, with a hand in pocket while someone takes his pic..that just ozzes confidence doesnt it:rolleyes:..
    I think the guy in first picture has alot of confidence..though you cant quite comment about your 'stance'/'confidence' theory thing here with him as we dont have a full picture of him like we do the first guy..

Besides those pictures are there as example of what length of hair I like..everyone else on boards has different opinions on what they perfer..
    Squirrel wrote:
    I'm growing my hair
    just make sure to tie it up when your running..:)
    Squirrel wrote:
    just make sure to keep it clean.
    so true..the greasy look is terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

red_ice wrote:
    You need a self confidence which the chap in the first pic you posted just doesnt have - my 3 year old niece would walk over him. The chap in the second pic has the confidence, and it shows by his stance.

ROFL.
    How wrong you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I wouldn't ever consider going out with a guy with hair any longer than about 3 inches at the back.
    Yes, I am that shallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I agree with red ice - it goes better with facial hair.

I also think long hair looks awful on very overweight men (sorry-no offence intended).

Fast_Mover wrote:
    just make sure to tie it up when your running..:)

It's not that long yet, barely medium length
    so true..the greasy look is terrible!

Some of my mates have that and it nearly put me off growing it, but then realised that I always cleaned my hair well when it was short so it wouldn't be too much hassle

Post your hair! :D

anyone who can immediately write off someone by their hair is a little shallow to be honest..

Post your hair! :D

anyone who can immediately write off someone by their hair is a little shallow to be honest..

I'll try find my brothers camera and post my hair. Last photo I have of me on the computer is from early February when I was in a race

heh, Fast_Mover i didnt mean to ruffle any feathers! was just saying how i see it :)
    It was nice of you to respect your girlfriend and cut it in first place..like you are who you are after all and it hard to change/adapt to suit others.
    Well, i had it short from day one when i met her, then i suggested it, and she wasnt that keen on it, so i didnt bother... was only when we broke up that i decided to strike while the iron was hot!
    i never said they couldn't comment on my hair..i was merely stating my opinion which i believe the OP was looking for, thus posting the afforementioned thread..

I know, i was just using it as an example, i wouldnt comment on anyones appearance, its just not right no matter what angle you try to approach it from, coz what you wear generally is how your feeling imo. 'really depends on what scene you feel you catagorise yourself with.' If you feel sporty, you dress sporty! If you feel lazy, you dress lazy.. and so on. I feel like a hobo today so...
    Guy in second photo..hmm..oh yes..he's leaning against a wall, texting, with a hand in pocket while someone takes his pic..that just ozzes confidence doesnt it..
    I think the guy in first picture has alot of confidence..though you cant quite comment about your 'stance'/'confidence' theory thing here with him as we dont have a full picture of him like we do the first guy..

I dunno, from first glance thats what i got, im not going to go click the pic and get a double take, i could have gotten it totally wrong, but i think the chap in the first pic wouldnt pull off long hair, where as the second chap pulls it off to a tee!
    just make sure to tie it up when your running..

and eating, and driving, and working with power tools... Infact, grow it, and just leave it tied up for good.

rb_ie - thats not you is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i must disagree, the guy in the second pic is hawt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

hannable80 wrote:

I like my hair!

/me runs off to brush his hair whilst playing classic music to soothe and nurture it *

But on a serious note hannable80, your mate is just being a tit. The amount of bullsh*t I've heard off people over the years is unbelievable although it kind of all stopped once I got a job after college and shut the nay-sayers up. "Oh you'll lose all your hair by 25 and be bald, you wont get a job, etc". I'm 27, hair is half-way down my back and not getting thinner and I code pharmaceutical software.

The only person who appears insecure is your mate tbh. He doesn't know how to deal with anything other than carbon copies of himself ...

* May not be factually correct at time of writing

red_ice wrote:
    rb_ie - thats not you is it?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Guys can look hot with long hair. :)(Once its clean and not a big frizzball).

red_ice wrote:
    heh, Fast_Mover i didnt mean to ruffle any feathers! was just saying how i see it :)
    its ok..no feathers ruffled:) your entitled to your opinion just as much as the next..
    red_ice wrote:
    and eating, and driving, and working with power tools... Infact, grow it, and just leave it tied up for good.
    i didnt mean it that way..i know Squirrel is an athlete so was just reminding him as the last thing you want to have is have hair flapping all over place..its most annoying..well i find it to be anyway and im a fellow athlete aswell..
    Lemming wrote:
    I like my hair!
    lol..funny you should post in this thread..i was going to use you instead of guy in example number two as your pic comes after rb_ie's..thank god i didnt now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Fast Mover, how insensitive of you to use boards.ie user photos and not just google search! The poor folk. hehe. I've been growing my hair the past few months, it's down past my shoulders now! /O\ <-- that's me

cormie wrote:
    Fast Mover, how insensitive of you to use boards.ie user photos and not just google search!The poor folk.
    We're all friends here i thought..:)

Fast_Mover wrote:
    We're all friends here i thought..:)

I thought you taught? aha... ha...

I was joking about me growing my hair by the way.

Pythia, what's up with that, if a guy had neck long hair and you fell in love with him but he continued to grow his hair... then what:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fcukme2

Hey, my friend likes guys with long hair, she says she would look at a guy with long hair before she would look at one with short. Personally I think its up 2 the person themselves, if you want long hair then go 4 it:)

rb_ie wrote:
    Yes.

Aww man, dont be ashamed, shes nearly 4 now and she wipes her arse with sand paper! She can bench 200 too!

On a side note, This is why pics of people from boards.ie should not be used as an example!

sorry man, was only using it to make a point, dont take it so serious ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think long hair can look quite cool on some blokes. On others it looks a bit 'goofy'!!

Fast_Mover wrote:
    i didnt mean it that way..i know Squirrel is an athlete so was just reminding him as the last thing you want to have is have hair flapping all over place..its most annoying..well i find it to be anyway and im a fellow athlete aswell..

Oh good god, even at the short-medium length I have it now it got really annoying in the heat of Portugal for warm weather training.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    I thought you taught? aha... ha...
    hilarious..quite the comedian arnt you!:rolleyes:
    cormie wrote:
    I was joking about me growing my hair by the way.
    iv seen pictures of you..hair down to your shoulders if i remember correctly!:)
    cormie wrote:
    Pythia, what's up with that, if a guy had neck long hair and you fell in love with him but he continued to grow his hair... then what:eek:
    dump him......obviously!:D
    meh..nothing a scissors or a bit of waxing wont fix..lol..
    red_ice wrote:
    Aww man, dont be ashamed, shes nearly 4 now and she wipes her arse with sand paper! She can bench 200 too!
    excellent..
    lets have a fight-off and see who will win..iv got 20Euro on the niece;) sorry rb!:)
    Squirrel wrote:
    Oh good god, even at the short-medium length I have it now it got really annoying in the heat of Portugal for warm weather training.
    I could imagine!
    Purchase a sweatband..:D

cormie wrote:
    Fast Mover, how insensitive of you to use boards.ie user photos

Yes, Fast_Mover, how very insensitive of you.:(
    Red_Ice wrote:
    Hilarious.

Fast mover, what pics of me are you talking about:confused: Them fake ones I did with me and my long hair or are you thinking I'm somebody I'm not?

cormie wrote:

I made my views on long hair clear to my boyfriend early on.

rb_ie wrote:
    Hilarious

:D

Pythia wrote:
    I made my views on long hair clear to my boyfriend early on.

Harsh, I'd never change what I felt comfortable with in my appearance just because my girlfriend told me to!:cool:

• Advertisement

cormie wrote:
    Harsh, I'd never change what I felt comfortable with in my appearance just because my girlfriend told me to!:cool:

Yeah, that's why I said it early on. I wouldn't want him to change, I'd want him to not do it in the first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It depends totally on whether it suits the person from teh observers point of view. I liked long hair for headbanging so I really didn't care. :)
    It suits some people and not others and that is just POV too.
    Most guys I know have long hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Speaking as someone who has had very short hair (blade1 length) and now very long hair (quite a bit past my shoulders, ponytail etc) I can honestly tell the OP that growing your hair won't make the slightest difference to your pulling ability.;)

Still, I'm losing it all on Friday, so I guess I'd better get some last precious moments of headbanging in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

SebtheBum wrote:
    ) I can honestly tell the OP that growing your hair won't make the slightest difference to your pulling ability.;)

still on zero then seb?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

SebtheBum wrote:
    Speaking as someone who has had very short hair (blade1 length) and now very long hair (quite a bit past my shoulders, ponytail etc) I can honestly tell the OP that growing your hair won't make the slightest difference to your pulling ability.;)
    It's odd, completely different people like me, based on length of hair!
    is that a norm? :)

Still, I'm losing it all on Friday, so I guess I'd better get some last precious moments of headbanging in.
    Nooooooo, why lose it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

It's odd, completely different people like me, based on length of hair!
    is that a norm? :)
    Well, when I was reading the thread, most of the responses really did read like a "Don't do it cos you'll be ugly/Do it cos you'll be sexy argument". Which basically doesn't wash at all.

As for why... Well, I hate my hair. Too damn long, always gets in the way, an absolute bugger to take care of, and a sorta rite of passage thing - I started growing it when I came to college, and Friday is my last day of college. An end of an era.

Also, I'm doing it for charity, so I'll have raised some dosh for Heart Children Ireland by then (hopefully - I've only raised about 100 quid so far).

That's still a hundred quid, good man!
    Yes, it is very annoying to maintain, get ready for some awesome short showers! :)
    Well, when I was reading the thread, most of the responses really did read like a "Don't do it cos you'll be ugly/Do it cos you'll be sexy argument". Which basically doesn't wash at all.
    well, I suppose it is peoples personal preference. Hair means a good deal to me on a gal. Long,straight, thanks.
    /Beats that thought into posters heads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Fast_Mover wrote:
    dump him......obviously!:D
    meh..nothing a scissors or a bit of waxing wont fix..lol..

If a women ever did that to me, she'd expect reciprocation in the form of a scene matching that from V For Vendetta.

What's good for the goose tbh. ;)

How long is your hair Fast Mover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I think you should do whatever you want with your hair! Who cares what other people think?!
    And imo guys with long hair are hotter! Even the most average looking guy can look seriously hot with long hair. I think I actually have a disease....I rarely like guys with short hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

rock and roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In terms of the general populous, men with long hair probably still suffer from the "Dirty hippy" stereotype, and will widely be seen as bums by the older generations. I tend to find though when you meet someone who has long hair and it's all over the place, they usually are bums. If they look like they actually bothered in the morning, then the length of their hair makes no difference.

But then again.. the older folk of today are the hippies of yesteryear so it's all good! And then the reeeally old people are the yesteryear hippies parents:D C'mon people now, smile on your brother everybody get together, try to love one another right now!

SebtheBum wrote:

Your not from bray are you?
    seamus wrote:
    In terms of the general populous, men with long hair probably still suffer from the "Dirty hippy" stereotype, and will widely be seen as bums by the older generations. I tend to find though when you meet someone who has long hair and it's all over the place, they usually are bums. If they look like they actually bothered in the morning, then the length of their hair makes no difference.

A very valid point there, but not 100% True. I shower every morning, and sometimes before bed too - im a total clean freak. My hair goes 1/4 the way down my back, and my fringe is an inch or 2 past my chin (when wet). When i i blow dry my hair, which takes 15 minutes... It looks somewhat presentable, but its still all over the shop coz of my curls. I put a very modest ammount of gel in at the ends to stop it frizzing. Alot of work goes into my hair, but it still doesnt look at presentable as it should. I think this is the part where the facial hair card gets to be played that i mentioned earlier in my post. I grew a beard... because i can and have never done it properly before. I kept my usualy grooming routine while doing it, but i just didnt feel clean, and quite fankly, when i looked in the mirror, i didnt really lookit either. I took the razor out this morning and shaved all kinds of stuff out of it and i feel like a new man. Sharp lines on facial hair are something that imo, show you put effort into your appearance, so alot of the focus is taken off of my hair now.

I travel alot (long distance relationship), and while i was in crewe train station, i spotted a tall dark skinned man, in a fine cut suit, and long dredlocks tied back. I feel dredlocks are the definitive feature of a bum, but this chap pulled them off big time, and looked sharp as a pin.

Having long hair doesnt make you a bum, your daily routine, and how you present yourself and go about your business(or lack of) is what makes you a bum. As i said earlier on, if you feel sporty, you dress and present yourself sporty, if you feel.. etc..

I work in the computer industry, and the ammount of utter shams i deal with on a daily basis is just insane. Clean cut chaps, expencive suits, fake tan - in love with themselves, who dont have a clue about what they are doing, yet they get labled a sucess and are the real ' honest working class guy'. Yet hard working guys who do their dirty work, who in my case have longer hair, get labled bums... Somethings not right there ya know?

The "Dirty hippy" stereotype definitly is still around, but the younger gen is definitly more accepting of it. I am far from a hippy. I dont believe in free love, otherwise id be out of business!... baddumpish...

ill get my coat

red_ice wrote:
    Your not from bray are you?

I am:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

yes yes i do

• Advertisement
Advertisement