Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellet & Oil Burner

Options
  • 22-04-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello All
    I am new to this forum. I am seroiusly considering installing a wood pellet boiler for central heating and domestic hot water. I also, however, would like to hold on to my internal kerosene burner. Just a few questions that some of you experienced posters might help me with.
    1. Is it possible to have both systems running side by side or could there be possible conflicts?
    2. I intend housing the wood pellet boiler in an outside shed. My oil burner is in a utility room. What type of piping needs to be laid to outdoor shed and will this connect directly to flow and return from current oil burner?
    3. While I am doing this work I was also thinking of putting in a simple zoned system i.e. the ability to use the wood pellet boiler to heat rads only or to heat just domestic hot water only. Am I right in assuming that for this to happen that there needs to be a direct feed from boiler to cylinder in upstairs hotpress or is there more involved. Maybe its more hassle than it is worth?
    Any help on these items would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tibrok

I' afraid I don't have answers to your questions but I came across the following website which has good plans/ideas for wood pellet storage systems which maybe useful

http://www.pelletsheizung.at/index_en.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

you cna linkup 2 or more systems using a 'neutraliser'

see

http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

It should be possible to link the boilers, the cost of doing this will depend on your existing system, for example a gravity or open system is easier and therfore cheaper than a sealed / pressurised system to link up.

The dedicated supply for hot water only can mean running a second flow and return however there are valves available now that can "switch off" the central heating from the cylinder which will mean the cylinder is all that heats up.

The cost of changing any of the above does depend on your existing system.

Advertisement