Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Trap radars

Options
  • 22-04-2006 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anybody use these...and are they reliable?

Not illegal to have one but illegal to use one?! Bit of a contradiction there if thats true :D

I seem to remember a stand at "toys 4 big boys" a few yrs ago and and they were selling like hot cakes, and that was even before Penalty Points!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A lot of speed traps now use laser instead of radar, and are much harder to detect, making these things pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've used a couple of these things years ago (other peoples) and found them useless - maybe it was the brand I used but I wouldn't be convinced. The best way to avoid penalty points is not to speed - simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Stephen wrote:
    A lot of speed traps now use laser instead of radar, and are much harder to detect, making these things pretty useless.

This is what you need!
    http://www.scorpionjammers.com/main.htm
    highly illegal, naturally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

jabaroon wrote:
    This is what you need!

yes this is exactly what you need
    http://www.scorpionjammers.com/laserjammers.html

i heard that this jams the laser speed guns:D .but they are illegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stekelly wrote:
    where can i get one of these:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

drdre wrote:

Thats a good one for gatsos, not so good though if you get flagged to stop by a jockey thats parked behind a bush that has seen you coming froma mile away :(

crosstownk wrote:
    I've used a couple of these things years ago (other peoples) and found them useless - maybe it was the brand I used but I wouldn't be convinced. The best way to avoid penalty points is not to speed - simple.

LOL. Why didnt I think of that :confused:

Dont fancy getting done for driving at 62kmh in a 60 zone...it stinks.Im not an irresponsible driver, just pisses me off to see the cops take easy targets, plenty of people have posted about Kilmacanogue as an example, what a joke.

jabaroon wrote:
    This is what you need!

That looks TOTR...anybody know someone who knows someone that has one? Ahem...;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Can't they tell if you are using a 'Jammer'? If you are speeding and they point the gun at you but don't get a reading, aren't they more likely to come after you to check - then your screwed when you get busted. I'd perfer just to be able to detect that there is one nearby - a bit of advance warning. in care you are doing 65 in a 60 zone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Gardai dont use radar guns anymore.

These laser jammers make the speed gun give out an audible warning that the laser has been jammed..

Not hard for the Garda to know which car has the jammer as he was just pointing the gun at it.

Followed by....

Pulled over, search of car, summons, court, fine, application to judge to have device destroyed.

Happens every day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Exactly. I certainly would not want that to happen.

Zascar wrote:
    Can't they tell if you are using a 'Jammer'? If you are speeding and they point the gun at you but don't get a reading, aren't they more likely to come after you to check - then your screwed when you get busted. I'd perfer just to be able to detect that there is one nearby - a bit of advance warning. in care you are doing 65 in a 60 zone.

nah the good ones like the jammer look like electronic gate openers also they can be hidden under the bonnet.so it can be hard to find them.otherwise they wonot know if you haveanything or not as they wonot check everything under the bonnet

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

drdre wrote:
    nah the good ones like the jammer look like electronic gate openers also they can be hidden under the bonnet.so it can be hard to find them.otherwise they wonot know if you haveanything or not as they wonot check everything under the bonnet

Basically, to be 100% safe, you need to demonstrate why you have an electric gate opener in your car! Technically, if they search the car and find an "electric gate opener" (as they are often sold as this!), you need to justify your need for one!

jabaroon wrote:
    Basically, to be 100% safe, you need to demonstrate why you have an electric gate opener in your car! Technically, if they search the car and find an "electric gate opener" (as they are often sold as this!), you need to justify your need for one!

yeah so if you have you have a electric gate at home you will be fine.or if you hide it right under the engine you will be fine as they wonot put the car on the rampto check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I can understand the point aboout laser jammers, however I believe laser detectors are on sale in the UK. They don't interfere with the laser reading, just give you an audible signal and about 3 seconds to slow down.

Drove my cousin's car in Manchester and he had one of 'em, seems they're a bit of a legal cock-up in Ireland (typical:rolleyes:).

Legal to buy, legal to own, illegal to use!

Could you imagine if they had a law like that for cannabis?!

"Yes officer it's my weed but i've no intention of smoking it.."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Savman wrote:
    I can understand the point aboout laser jammers, however I believe laser detectors are on sale in the UK. They don't interfere with the laser reading, just give you an audible signal and about 3 seconds to slow down.

Drove my cousin's car in Manchester and he had one of 'em, seems they're a bit of a legal cock-up in Ireland (typical:rolleyes:).

Legal to buy, legal to own, illegal to use!

Could you imagine if they had a law like that for cannabis?!

"Yes officer it's my weed but i've no intention of smoking it.."

Actually radar and laser detectors are illegal to posess, fit, sell or import.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI50Y1991.html

I, er, stand corrected Ted. It would seem I've been grossly misinformed. Happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

I'm very dubious about the Laser detectors giving advance notice. I would have thought the laser beam was so focussed that you wouldn't know til it had already been aimed at the car. Radar detectors would be much easier, but I would have thought reflections from a laser gun would be a lot harder to pick up reliably enough to always give a warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cargrouch wrote:
    I'm very dubious about the Laser detectors giving advance notice. I would have thought the laser beam was so focussed that you wouldn't know til it had already been aimed at the car. Radar detectors would be much easier, but I would have thought reflections from a laser gun would be a lot harder to pick up reliably enough to always give a warning.

You're right. Laser detectors essentially tell you when you've just been caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Anan1 wrote:
    You're right. Laser detectors essentially tell you when you've just been caught.
    Not strictly true apparently. The laser used are not highly focused high quality lasers so there does tend to be spill. The detector work by detecting this spill when the beam is focused on another car.

With regards to the jammer. The purpose of it is not to jam the laser until you have passed. That would be stupid and obvious to the Gardai. It only jams the laser for 1 or 2 seconds. At the same time you are giving a warning. When you get the warning you are supposed to slow down briskly. It stops jamming, the gardai gets a successful reading of your car not speading. That is the theory anyway. I would expect the gardai may well be suspicious anyway.

MrP

Anan1 wrote:

Incorrect, you've about 2-3 seconds to slow the hell down although its not much. Bearing in mind that whoever is operating the laser gun might take 2-3 readings to be sure of your vehicle's speed.

Now if you're bombing it along double figures above the limit then you've no chance in hell of avoiding the trap but if you're a few km over (in which case 2 points is pretty harsh) you should have enough time to reduce speed (isn't that the whole point???)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

This is interesting, parking sensors doubling as.......:cool:

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/laserpropark.htm

MrPudding wrote:
    Not strictly true apparently. The laser used are not highly focused high quality lasers so there does tend to be spill. The detector work by detecting this spill when the beam is focused on another car.

I did a good bit of homework on this around 3 years ago, when researching the M10 Blinder. The impression I got was the the beam is very tightly focussed. There would be a certain amount of "spill" due to moisture in the atmosphere etc, but this would apparently only widen the beam out to under a foot. From memory, I think the Blinder jams for 10 seconds. Remember also that your car is under observation at the time, so hard braking could well be noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

£300 stg! I'd need to be in quite a rush for some time before that paid for itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Anan1 wrote:
    I did a good bit of homework on this around 3 years ago, when researching the M10 Blinder. The impression I got was the the beam is very tightly focussed. There would be a certain amount of "spill" due to moisture in the atmosphere etc, but this would apparently only widen the beam out to under a foot. From memory, I think the Blinder jams for 10 seconds. Remember also that your car is under observation at the time, so hard braking could well be noticed.
    10 Seconds is a very long time and probably would not be put down to something innocent. The device I heard about on Newstalk106 only jammed for 2 seconds. It showed up as a reading error on the gun and then cleared automatically. The longer the jam is the more like it is you will be oulled over anyway.

Breaking hard is not illegal. Judging it is also subjective. They need to get a reading.

All in all though I think you are very likely to get pulled anyway and have yuor car searched, well at least if you are really flying. If you are only a few Ks over the limit you would not need to break particulary hard.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    10 Seconds is a very long time and probably would not be put down to something innocent. The device I heard about on Newstalk106 only jammed for 2 seconds. It showed up as a reading error on the gun and then cleared automatically. The longer the jam is the more like it is you will be oulled over anyway.

Breaking hard is not illegal. Judging it is also subjective. They need to get a reading.

All in all though I think you are very likely to get pulled anyway and have yuor car searched, well at least if you are really flying. If you are only a few Ks over the limit you would not need to break particulary hard.

MrP

I think 10 secs is the max, you can always switch the thing off once you've got down to a legal speed. Apparently it's not all that unusual for them not to be able to get a read off a car, so they wouldn't necessarily find that suspicious. If it's any help, I can tell you that the thing worked like a dream any time I used it.

Never knew the laser jammers were illegal ! Im even more amazed that someone in Irish govt had the foresight to include this in a law that is now 15 yrs old...surely it must be as a joke ;)

In fairness, I was more interested in the ones that give you a warning...I know someone who had one that beeped, told you there was a speed trap under a mile away so gave you a chance to hit the brake, thats all I want, piece of mind. Lets be honest unless you are a complete spanner in (insert random skangermobile) then the odds are that most people slip over the limit from time to time. So it would be nice to have that piece of mind IMO.

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote:
    In fairness, I was more interested in the ones that give you a warning...I know someone who had one that beeped, told you there was a speed trap under a mile away so gave you a chance to hit the brake, thats all I want, piece of mind.

A radar detector will do this for you, but not against laser. As far as I can see, with laser it's jam or be caught.

Advertisement