Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Cutting out.....

Options
  • 22-04-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

hello all.
    I drive a 1996 1.4 civic, for the past few days my car has tended to cut out when idle at traffic lights for instance. the RPM's sometimes go down below 400 very quickly and the engine then cuts out.

theres 82K miles on the clock and I have no idea whether the timing belt has been changed. The car was fully serviced last August, and i got an oil change 2 wks ago. I also had and induction kit installed a few days ago, but the problem existed before that.

I think its most likely the timing belt, I am going to get that changed now anyway along with the water pump and tensioner...

I have been driving it around all day to get rid of the petrol as I think it may also be some bad petrol i may have gotten in the last week or so, however if the engine cuts out again on me and it is infact because of the belt I'm obviously f-cked if I try to restart the engine...

Any Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

doesn't sound like a timing belt. sounds more like a sensor. have you fitted an induction kit or performance filter. or changed the air filter lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭theAwakening

I had a full induction kit professionally fitted last thurs, but the engine had cut out on me a day before that in the same way - while idling. I had an oil change and oil filter change professionally done about 10 days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

It coud be a sticking EGR valve if you have such on your engine.

If not, it could be several things, fuel pressure, fuel supply, sticking Auto Idle Stabilization circuit if your engine has it. O2 sensor.

So what items are fitted to your engine as std equipment.

And while you are figureing that out, add a bottle of STP Injector cleaner to your next tank of gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Given the revs drop before it cuts out I'd have the induction kit checked out in case something has come loose such as a vacuum pipe or sensor wiring. Does the Civic have intake manifold preheating? If so this may not be working correctly. It's not the t-belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you could check your plugs, and clean the idle control valve with carb cleaner

• Advertisement
Advertisement