Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ricky Gervais on The Simpsons

• 22-04-2006 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up , the episode written by and starring Ricky Gervais is on Sky One tomorrow night at half six , they played a piece on the radio today and it sounds hilarious , he was singing a song to Marge and the lyrics were brilliant .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

The Simpsons hasn't been funny in years,and one hit wonder Gervais won't make it any better. The Office was quite brilliant,but how much of it was really down to him? His stand up comedy is just terrible and I stopped watching Extra's after giving it 4 episodes,it was that bad.

Just my opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

tvnutz wrote:
    The Simpsons hasn't been funny in years,and one hit wonder Gervais won't make it any better. The Office was quite brilliant,but how much of it was really down to him? His stand up comedy is just terrible and I stopped watching Extra's after giving it 4 episodes,it was that bad.

I agree about Xtras but his stand up is brilliant. Have you seen animals and politics? Genius... :D

Yep,saw both of them,thought they were terrible,maybe laughed once or twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lets hope the episode is not as annoying as the ads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tvnutz wrote:

Imo, it was practically all down to him, although he can be annoying sometimes. He is kind of like a child.

• Advertisement

Imo, it was practically all down to him, although he can be annoying sometimes. He is kind of like a child.

That is another thing that annoys me about him,he is like a child,and as I said,not funny either. Those ads on Sky One are really annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Saw it a few weeks ago. I expected good things (anything would be better than the current writing team), but it was pretty bad. A couple more laughs than normal (for a total of 2), but that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭tallaghtdave

anyone know what epesode of the season 17 it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

15 (Homer Simpson, This is your Wife)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

s17e15

I wouldnt bother, its terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Nothing worth changing your schedule for at all. Mediocre at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

zabbo wrote:
    Lets hope the episode is not as annoying as the ads.
    Hear hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i watched this episode last night and thought it was very average. nothing really funny at all, Shame really after all the hype there has been since he was asked to do the thing in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bixmoo

wow really surprised to learn so many people don't like extras or the standup.. i think his standup is brilliant, so much better than the other comedians knocking around at the moment. and extras was brilliant! although he has that kind of childish wry type of humour, so i do understand why people wouldn't really find it funny!

lookin forward to this, if it is funny it'll be better than any simpsons episodes i've seen for the past few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

Jeez I thought this was going to be good no point in watching it so !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bixmoo

i think it will be funny! a lot better than the new simpsons episodes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I hear its going out live....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Nothing can save the simpsons now...

Just refer you to a thread I started on the very subject:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054857603&highlight=disintergration+of+the+simpsons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Ever notice that people on boards hate everything. If I want an opinion about a TV programme, Film or any kind of music, this is the last place I'll look. Too many people trying to be cool.

Extras, by the way, was brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

fade2black wrote:
    Ever notice that people on boards hate everything. If I want an opinion about a TV programme, Film or any kind of music, this is the last place I'll look. Too many people trying to be cool.

Extras, by the way, was brilliant.

I'm afraid I can't agree with that at all! I thought Extra's was poor, but maybe it was too "Gervais" if you get what I mean. I'd already seen every episode of The Office twice or three times and I'd seen the Animals DVD and went see Politics live. And loved it all.

Extra's seemed to offer nothing new (to me anyway), which might be why I didn't enjoy it as much. I'd still watch it over most of todays "comedy" but it certainly wasn't brilliant (again, in my opinion).

As for The Simpsons episode, I watched it and don't recall laughing more than twice. I certainly wasn't trying to be cool when I said I didn't like it, just my honest opinion having seen the episode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

I watched this last night.

I agree with the other posters, it was not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I'm a big fan of Stephen Merchant..to be honest, I think Gervais in real life is quite annoying but gives a great performance in Extras. The Patrick Stewart episode for instance was quality. At least I thought so anyway...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Just watched it there, and yes, it was very unfunny. :(

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

omfg, the worst bit of simpsons I've seen in a long long time.

A few cheap laughs but mother of god that was horrible to watch :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

byte wrote:
    Just watched it there, and yes, it was very unfunny. :(

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
    Muaha, I knw I made the correct decision leaving th tv in gathering dust...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

It was terrible. It was over before it started!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Had it's moments.

1) Homer diving on the couch to the tune of sprach zarathrusta and

2) his discription of Patty as "cousin it used to be a man".

That was about it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Muaha, I knw I made the correct decision leaving th tv in gathering dust...

Same. Sudoku or Simpsons, I chose the former. That's how bad it's gotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

"Cousin It there was born a woman"

Ricky's song started out fun but then was so crappy....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

What a big pile of overhyped shít.
    Didn't even smile, let alone laugh.
    I liked the Office and Extras, but it just doesn't work outside of that context... his standup is also a bit yawn. :rolleyes:
    What a disaster of an episode... the two before it bored the arse off me aswell. :/
    In a word - stale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I hate the simpsons now so I didn't bother watching it but extras is fcuking great!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Had it's moments.

1) Homer diving on the couch to the tune of sprach zarathrusta and
    That was the only mildly funny part of the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

I gave up on it when Ricky Gervais' character started his song.

Not a single funny moment before it really.

I don't know how Americans still put up with the Simpsons. If it was an English show being shown on English TV, it would have been cancelled ages ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I watched it and thought there would be a little more to the story of it, but..nothing, very boring and over very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i thought it was LOL funny when it he was singing about Di and stepped infront of the fire in his dressing gown :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pre-Gervais was similar to most episodes - a bit of fun here and there. The minute he came along, it died on it's feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

plazzTT wrote:
    I gave up on it when Ricky Gervais' character started his song.

Me to. I thought it was dreadful. was looking forward to seeing it with all the hype they made about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Ozzy

Arse anyway, I missed it.
    Ricky Gervais is the man, I'm sure it wasn't half as bad as you cynical ***** make it out to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It was.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Well I'm a huge fan of Ricky Gervais, but this was really crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Pure *****

Cancel it now please, it died long ago (And this is from a guy who can quote whole episodes when htey come on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Didnt watch it in protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Deadlocked

Ozzy wrote:
    Arse anyway, I missed it.
    Ricky Gervais is the man, I'm sure it wasn't half as bad as you cynical ***** make it out to be!

Its worse. Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

saw this episode a few weeks ago. it was ****. the hype Sky built up about will only have suckered people into watching it to realise the simpsons is ****. the simpsons should be left to rot but no there is another 2 seasons on the way :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I didnt find it funny at all, it was so hyped that the talk of the HD tv in the episode, I nearly expected to hear a sky HD plug.
    I think the only slight snigger I had was the "apology" message about CH4 just before the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Sparky-s wrote:
    I think the only slight snigger I had was the "apology" message about CH4 just before the second half.

I thought that was very good. Almost thought it was real aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

This was ****ing terrible, in fact the worst episode ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tombanana

pretty disappointing. the song was crappy and ricky's character was bad... some of it was funny, in the fox studios, and homer talkin about tv to lisa... felt too short, like it needed another 15 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

the simpsons has been bad for a while now but last nights ep was so awful... only homers dive for the sofa was any good... longest episode i've ever watched!:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement