Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 computers-can't use both at same time

• 22-04-2006 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi

I have an old Gateway windows 98 SE PC in an upstairs bedroom and I am using the Netopia 3D reach wireless card. My modem is downstairs connected via ethernet to a newer PC.

Now the speed is pretty slow upstairs but something has happened recently in that when the modem is on, the pc upstairs is connected to the net fine, but as soon as the pc downstairs gets switched on, the wireless link goes down on the other machine.

I normally have a pretty good signal strength via wireless but i have tested this theory and its definitely the problem-I cant have the pc switched on downstairs otherwise the wireless link goes down on the upstairs pc!!

Any idea why this has happened?tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

When you say wireless link goes down you mean that there is no signal what so ever on the upstairs PC?

What modem/wireless router do you have? Have you updated the firmware on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭zap27

I have the Netopia 3d reach wirelesss adaptor along with the standard Netopia modem that eircom give out. yes the signal just dies as soon as the other computer downstairs is switched on. i just dont understand why this is happening at all.

Havent updated any firmware on it yet, no, but will try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Sounds like an IP address conflict. Post the network configuration of the two machines.

uh-oh. how do i do that-sorry i'm not particularly savvy on the tech side of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

[Alternative to above]
    Click Start ->Run and type in command (win98) or cmd for later machines in the box for each computer
    type ipconfig in that box and paste that info here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

is_that_so wrote:
    [Alternative to above]
    Click Start ->Run and type in command (win98) or cmd for later machines in the box for each computer
    type ipconfig in that box and paste that info here.

Just to clear this up its winipcfg for a Win98 machine. ;)

Just to clear this up its winipcfg for a Win98 machine. ;)
    winipcfg is a GUI interface for ipconfig. ipconfig should work as well.

ok heres what i got:

win98 machine:
    IP Address 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.1.254

XP Machine:
    IP address 192.168.1.1
    Subnet mask-same as above
    Default gateway -same as above

Thanks!

no ip conflict so. Very odd problem.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

how did ur gateway get an ip of 192.168.1.254

its ususlly 192.168.0.1 by default on nettopia routers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

irlrobins wrote:
    winipcfg is a GUI interface for ipconfig. ipconfig should work as well.

Well I stand corrected, had never used ipconfig on a 98 machine, dug one out of the woodwork and low a behold ipconfig works a treat.

/goes to eat humble pie.... Mmmmm PIE! :p

Advertisement