Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D-Laink Di-524 problem

• 22-04-2006 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Have 6mb Ntl broadband. It works at 6-7mbps when wired with a crossover but when I pick up the connection ove rwireless its only 2.5mbps or there abouts. Ive tried 2pc's and their both the same so im presuming its the router.

Any ideas on why it would be dropping so much bandwidth when used over wireless??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

How strong a wireless signal are you getting? If you are getting a weak signal your connection from PC to router might only be 2.5mbps. So while your connection to internet is 6mbps, there is a bottleneck at the wireless link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Connection is Excellent.

Thats on a pc in an upstairs bedroom even on the laptop right beside the router the problem remains. I reset the router to factory settings just in case but its still the same.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are the wireless cards 'b' or 'g' that you are using? any possibility that some neighbour is using your wireless network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

At 11mbps wireless you can only get about 2.5Mbps through. Worse if more than one Wireless client.

You need the WiFi running at 54Mbps or 108Mbps.

Wireless is half duplex, it talks or listens.. It has a high overhead compared with cable and it is a single shared resource unless you are using a MIMO WiFi base and a MIMO client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I had a A D-link di-524 the same as you Vevex for about 1 day, I got rid of it due to **** signal and almost no speed being sent through the wireless. In the same room as the router and the PC's had a low signal. Got a linksys WRT54G the next day, Full signal + Speed all around the house, Alot better to setup and much better configurated. I was advised by you're brother to get the same router as you have so I did, Brought it back to where I got it and bought a linksys to avail of problem free networking :P

Just to be curios, If you don't mind opening up the router, Check the antenna and how its soldered to the PCB. If its loose or dodgey in anyway, Thats probably you're problem. Ive seen one of them and that was the problem the antenna connection on the router its self was broken, If I believe correctly you're antenna is removable.

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The DI-524 is an 801.11b router as far as I know so it is likely that it can't handle any higher that 2.5mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

masterK wrote:
    The DI-524 is an 801.11b router as far as I know so it is likely that it can't handle any higher that 2.5mbps

The router is infact 802.11g. I had been using a Belkin 801.11b client so I went and got a 'g' internal card and it did improve some. I think at this stage I would have to agree with HungryJoey its more then likely just a $hitty router. Think i'll have to get a decent one during the week theres not much point in having 6meg broadband and getting only half the speed.

Advertisement