Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which version of One??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Badlands

The new version is crap. I wish the radio stations would just play the old original version, it has feeling and soul the new one is just so Mary J can make some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

Mary J Blidge\U2
    Dustaz wrote:
    Quoted for truth. This post wins.

I could have SWORN it was about aids/a friend dying of aids ?

I think originally it was about the band staying together and not falling apart. If I'm not mistaken they wrote it late one night while working in Berlin based on the experiences they were having and as a result of not knowing directionally where to take the band etc. etc. etc.

However, there were three video's shot for this song and one of them was something to do w/ AIDS, (buffalo's running off the cliff) and another had edge's ex-wife in it (Aislinn) and I've heard mention the song had something to do w/ edge and her splitting up as well?!

just found this...

"The three videos to the song carry the many different meanings behind the lyrics and the mood. However, the story behind how the song was written in fact saved U2 from breakup. The band had spent some time discussing whether or not they had finally used up all of their creative energy and talent. Eventually, they decided that they probably had, and Bono went to the mic and began playing this song. The rest of the band began to play along, and they soon had a renewed faith in themselves. They completed the rest of the album afterwards."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Abby D Cody

I was going to say Metallica, too, but I don't want to show my age. Love them stabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

Neither
    when she sings 2nd verse she takes it to a different level. It's not by chance U2 agreed to do a version of One with her. She has a powerful voice and can really sing well. I love this version of 'One'.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

oh god they just went and made an awful song even worse. the two most horrible sounds in music (bono and r&b) on the one record?? its gotta be a bad nightmare....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Lighthouse Family ftw!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Aldini98

MJB is just awful, what were they thinking working with her ????? The original by a mile !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Metallica.

Haha I was waiting for that! Heh, I remember back in secondary school I heard some bloke going on about the song "One", and I was all like "Oh great song; love Metallica!". To my dismay he told me he was talking about a U2 song...and a passionate hatred was born. Although in fairness, the older U2 stuff isn't that bad. They are god-awful when they try to be all "rockin' " though. They write melodic, almost ambient stuff best.
    Mary J Blige is a female R'n'B style singer and is therefore terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Major necro here to suggest that those of ye who think the original version is a bit to preachy might have a listen to this. It's a version I recorded with some mates to enter in Today FM's Beat the Original comp this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Mary J Blidge\U2
    wow, over three years old. it's a zombie thread...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement